Moral sin makes no sense to me

How can I really know if I have full concent of the will and full knowledge??? Its all so very confusing to me…

Just being unsure is a first positive that you’ve not given that. I mean it’s like getting into a car and turning the ignition. You know you’ve done both. There’s no question. This stuff doesn’t sneak up on you. You’ve got to accept the mental picture. You’ve got to enjoy it. And shrug off any hint of wanting to move on. So it’s got to be pretty clear.

Hope that helps?

Peace.

-Trident

Catechism

mortal sin scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a8.htm#IV

You’re right. Mortal sin is the worst decision we can make.

What confuses most people, more specifically, is why the faculty of human sexuality is so sin-prone, and almost every related sin is considered to be a mortal sin. There’s a big world out there and a lot of other ways we could go wrong.

But, sexual-related sins violate the sanctity of the person, who is made in the image and likeness of God. It’s not often said, but we don’t belong to ourselves, we belong to God, and we must respect the body God has given us.

From my understanding:

if it feels good and involves any kind of sexual thought or action it’s definitely a mortal sin
unless you are:

Straight, Married, open to having a baby? :shrug:

I don’t think the question was specific to sins of the flesh and that is incorrect with regard to thought. Everyone has sexual thoughts. It’s what you do with them that matters.

In general, we have guidance with the 10 commandments, which then can be further explained. Catechism as mentioned, is a great start.

But perhaps what is missing is a desire for virtue, rather than avoiding vice.

If you are serving others, it’s a kind of shield from sin.

Set your sights outward and you will find the joy of service replaces the concern of vice.

Take care,

mike

Perhaps it’s time for a spiritual director.

Yeah, in today’s world it’s hard to get your brain wrapped around this. We belong to God.

I think you will know. For instance, taking the Lord’s name in vain. You get upset about whatever. You know that taking the Lord’s name in vain is grave matter. You get upset and decided to take the Lord’s name in vain anyway. You had full consent of the will and knowledge, too. Therefore, it would be a mortal sin in the foregoing case. Ditto for the other nine Commandments. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.