[LIST=1]
*]with a person of the opposite gender
*]with emotional intimacy
*]with a mutual commitment to remain together
*]with significant amounts of time spent together
*]without physical intimacy beyond holding of hands and hugging
*]without sexual activity
*]without cohabitation
*]without the intention to have children?
[/LIST]

This is a hypothetical (not real) situation, and I am simply interested to elicit views of the moral status of such a relationship. I will not make further comments unless posters request clarification or elaboration. Thank you! :thumbsup:

*]with a person of the opposite gender
*]with emotional intimacy
*]with a mutual commitment to remain together
*]with significant amounts of time spent together
*]without physical intimacy beyond holding of hands and hugging
*]without sexual activity
*]without cohabitation
*]without the intention to have children?

No, all are fine. My great-grandmother had a long time friend like this. He was very important to her and she liked the companionship. Keep in mind, she was widowed and not interested in re-marrying. Among younger people, this kind of relationship could definitely keep you from either finding a romantic relationship or keeping a romantic relationship simply because it would get awkward. If you and your friend are both in a position in your lives where neither is looking for romance in general, then this is just fine. I would caution against hand holding though because in many cultures, hand holding can be a sign that you are interested in them beyond friendship. You wouldn’t want to hurt the person by having this misinterpreted.

I have just such a friend of opposite sex (female), expect for holding of hands, and hugging (only for greetings). For a short time she was even my girlfriend, but because I am discerning priesthood I cannot commit to her in any other way. Yet we love each other very much, even much more than when we were ‘together’ so to speak :slight_smile: Most definitely, to love another is a beautiful thing! If you can keep your heart and intentions pure, without taining it with lust or some other sin then I think we can love the person of another gender, like we love our sisters and brothers.

After all, by baptism we are grafted onto the Vine that is Christ, and in this spiritual union we are closer to each other than in the physical union purely through family bonds, or marriage. Why should we not be allowed to love our sisters and brothers?

No, it’s not sinful. It’s similar to an old practice called Josephite marriage.

As soon as one has sexual activity and is not willing to have children and is not married is when it becomes a sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.