Moral theologian: Tim Kaine 'gravely wrong' to treat abortion as a personal matter

Washington D.C., Oct 6, 2016 / 04:19 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- Democratic vice presidential candidate Tim Kaine was gravely wrong to say he personally opposed abortion while taking a pro-choice stance in public office, a moral theologian says.

Kaine, a Catholic, took a “gravely immoral position” and one “that is incorrect,” Fr. Thomas Petri, dean of the Dominican House of Studies in Washington, D.C., told CNA of Kaine’s argument that he tries to “follow the teachings of my church in my own personal life” but will not “mandate that [faith] for everybody else” through opposing abortion in public office.

“This is a human issue, not a religious issue,” Fr. Petri said of abortion. He pointed to Pope St. John Paul’s encyclical “Evangelium Vitae” which insisted that right to life is the “primary right” and “without life, there are no other rights.”

catholicnewsagency.com/news/moral-theologian-tim-kaine-gravely-wrong-to-treat-abortion-as-a-personal-matter-96696/

If only more of our clergy would speak out in this manner.Faith before politics.

:thumbsup: True!

Exactly so.

If I pretend to be a bit naive, I can’t understand how politicians get away with supporting things they claim to be morally opposed to. Isn’t that the sign of a coward, a liar, and a cheat?

What’s especially stupid is that that entire line of thinking can be applied to absolutely any law, especially those issues liberals are most fond of. “I’m personally opposed to arresting all practicing homosexuals, but hey! Who the heck am I to impose my own religious morality onto someone else? What do you think I am? A rebel who stands up to bullies? Shucks, no!”

… but I guess that argumentation only really applies to those issues society has been brainwashed on. :wink:

This should be obvious but since his running mate is a staunch supporter of R/W it becomes a moot point.

Either brainwashed or desensitized to certain tragedies.

Personally, I do not agree with that. I think that women should be trusted enough by our own government to make a decision that is both morally/ethically right and right for their own lives. In my opinion, making abortion legal is basically saying that you don’t trust women enough to make such decisions in a moral/ethical way and you don’t trust a woman enough to make such an important decision concerning her own life. That’s just my own opinion though and I am sure that many people here on the forums would disagree with me.

That said, I personally do not feel like I could ever get an abortion, especially after giving birth to Colton and seeing just how wonderful being a mom actually is. However, I also cannot find it within myself to judge someone who does get an abortion because I am not living their life. I don’t have to face the same circumstances that they do and I would not fully understand their decision unless I was living their life.

Exactly. I could say, for example, I personally don’t support cheating on your spouse, but if a couple believes cheating on one another works for them, then who am I to judge. Wrong! The ten commandments are very clear about coveting your neighbor’s wife or husband.

I do not judge other people’s actions because other people often have different values than mine on many different issues, including abortion. Since abortion is a morally contentious issue, I respect other people’s right to have an opinion on the issue which is different from mine. However, I demand that everyone have the freedom to act according to their own conscience on this issue because of the fact that everyone has different beliefs about the morality of abortion.

Fences can be pretty uncomfortable places to sit on…

Fr. Petri is not infallible.

I think I need to remind people that the US has millions of Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, Jews, and yes, atheists. They do not all share the official Catholic view of abortion. So we should impose our morality on them? If you say yes, would you be OK with Hindus imposing their morality on Catholics in India, Muslims imposing their morality on Catholics in Iraq, and so on? Really?

The problem in this case is that abortion should not be something about religion. It is about a persons life. You cant say that we have a right to terminate a persons life (in the case of abortion), this is the issue here, like the article stated. Now, the next problem is that Tim Kaine is a “catholic”, well he was baptized catholic. But if he states that he is catholic he must abide by catholic teachings in this case (as it is about morality), because it will preserve the life of a person. The same goes with the stance on homosexual marriage. For catholics and should be for some christians this is a problem against what marriage is and what that means for society. At least his “vote” should be kept catholic as those are some big issues for a catholic (or should be). Kaine even stated that the Church would change her stance on homosexual marriage, implying he doesn’t think it is even important (well that’s what it tells me).

See what happened when our Primate here in Ireland tried to do that…

rte.ie/news/2016/1001/820748-eamon-martin-abortion/

led to…

breakingnews.ie/ireland/fine-gael-td-archbishops-opinion-on-abortion-not-at-all-relevant-757675.html

Maybe because [

(Soros spending to overturn abortion in Ireland-- guess he thinks he’s like God…)](http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/billionaire-soros-funding-groups-fighting-to-repeal-irish-abortion-ban-34980624.html[/url)

Try applying this logic to laws against rape: The Catholic Church teaches rape is wrong, but should not try to apply its religious morality on everyone in a pluralistic society. Everyone has different experiences and ideas of morality so we should just trust them to make the right decisions for their own lives, right?

Wait, you say? Rape hurts someone else? So does abortion:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.