Morality of Tarot Cards?

Hello all,

I have some sad news.

For some reason I have lately been intrigued by the idea of buying tarot cards.

I realize they are wrong, but for some reason they seem so intriguing, and many have interesting symbols pictures on them, from the middle ages, the ancient world, and world mythology.

I am a fan of literature/history so they appeal to me from that standpoint. I think… I just ifnd them interesting/curious.

I realize this is sort of a strange fixation and I will try and pray about it. Perhaps the excitement of the unknown/esoteric?

On a further note… Is this a doorway to the demonic same as Ouija boards? I’ve heard far more awful stories of the board( which I have no desire to use) but have been less able to find them about the cards. I suppose either way, I should not use them.

Any thoughts/ ideas?

I would not…

Exorcists note that such are not something one wants to engage in. And I would not even have them in my house…

So… it is true then.

The cards tell the future?

Demons would like you to think that…

Catechism

Divination and magic

2115 God can reveal the future to his prophets or to other saints. Still, a sound Christian attitude consists in putting oneself confidently into the hands of Providence for whatever concerns the future, and giving up all unhealthy curiosity about it. Improvidence, however, can constitute a lack of responsibility.

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one’s service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another’s credulity.

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c1a1.htm#2111

Listen to Bookcat.

Also, there are innumerable threads on this if you want read further.
Stay of from them. Nasty stuff.
Some folks will ask you to believe that they are simply playing cards no more.
This is not true. The Church admonishes us to stay away from such things.
buy some books on the lives of the saints. Far more fascinating!
Peace.

It is a mortal sin to believe in superstitious practices that tell you the future. Since God condemns the practice, any information received from the tarot cards is just coincidence or is a demon that is guessing at the future (which they may be good at due to higher intelligence, but they cannot know the future as God does).

The CCC is silent on the matter of playing card games with 78-card decks. Sir Michael Dummett, a Catholic convert, has written extensively about the card game and legitimate (non-occult) history of playing card games:
patheos.com/blogs/godandthemachine/2013/07/reclaiming-tarot/

I have yet to see any teaching in the Catechism that prohibits playing card games.

:popcorn:

Yeah forget about it. Those cards are trouble, especially if you’re being drawn to them strongly. Its the same as an ouija board.

Pray the rosary instead.

The famous Catholic Convert Michael Dummett (1925 - 2011) has written extensively about the use of playing card games with 78-card decks:

Tarot works:
    The Game of Tarot: from Ferrara to Salt Lake City (Duckworth, 1980);
    Twelve Tarot Games (Duckworth, 1980);
    The Visconti-Sforza Tarot Cards (G. Braziller, 1986);
    Il mondo e l'angelo: i tarocchi e la loro storia (Bibliopolis, 1993)
    I tarocchi siciliani (La Zisa, 1995);
    A Wicked Pack of Cards: The Origins of the Occult Tarot (with Ronald Decker and Thierry Depaulis, St. Martin's Press, 1996);
    A History of the Occult Tarot, 1870-1970 (with Ronald Decker, Duckworth, 2002);
    A History of Games Played with the Tarot Pack (with John McLeod, E. Mellen Press, 2004).

Notable articles and exhibition catalogs include “Tarot Triumphant: Tracing the Tarot” in FMR, (Franco Maria Ricci International), January/February 1985; Pattern Sheets published by the International Playing Card Society; with Giordano Berti and Andrea Vitali, the catalogue Tarocchi: Gioco e magia alla Corte degli Estensi (Bologna, Nuova Alfa Editorale, 1987).

Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Dummett

Hands off.

Yes, they are a doorway to the demonic.

Buy holy cards instead. Prayer cards. Prayer books. Images and icons of Christ and our Lady. Beeswax candles, incense, medals. Or give the money to those in need.

Why waste it on worthless and dangerous things?

One can read about mythology as a phenomenon. Over a lifetime one can learn what are sensible comments on this subject and what are not. As we ought to enquire about human life, pray before deciding what to read next. I found Stephen Oppenheimer an eye-opener!

As objects, this particular set of cards has been invested with a great deal of intensity.

The essence of sorcery is manipulativeness.

Scripture truths revealed by the Magisterium and the Holy Spirit and illustrated by the Jesus indwelling your Christian friends will help you be secure in God’s provision and providence.

Hoping this helps. :slight_smile:

^ This.

They get a kick out of mixing truth with error and making God seem like a liar… and when you need God, now that they have access to you, they can manipulate you to despair. Good way to have yourself tortured if you decide to go through with it. Sort of like inviting a sociopathic serial killer to your house with no one else at home with you because he seems like he’d be amusing company and great fun to hang out with. (In other words, you don’t believe what he really is, and you think if you offer your friendship he wouldn’t take advantage.)

You can’t ‘take a chance on the devil’, because his aim is always to main, hurt, steal, and he will. You invite him in, he will devour you. Not first, second or third or even 200’th time, but he will eventually.

Dead serious in saying that. You don’t know the world of hurt that waits for you.

Since you seem to believe that Wiki is a good source for all things Catholic…(not)
Here’s a piece from article of your man Dummett:
In October 1987, one of his contributions to New Blackfriars sparked considerable controversy, when he seemingly attacked currents of Catholic theology which appeared to him to diverge from orthodox Catholicism and to "imply that, from the very earliest times, the Catholic Church, claiming to have a mission from God to safeguard divinely revealed truth, has taught and insisted on the acceptance of falsehoods." Dummett argued that “the divergence which now obtains between what the Catholic Church purports to believe and what large or important sections of it in fact believe ought, in my view, to be tolerated no longer: not if there is to be a rationale for belonging to that Church; not if there is to be any hope of reunion with the other half of Christendom; not if the Catholic Church is not to be a laughing-stock in the eyes of the world.” A debate in the journal over these remarks continued for months, attracting contributions from the theologian Nicholas Lash and the historian Eamon Duffy, among others. 1987 - Volume 68 New Blackfriars (Issue 809, 811)

He seems to be one whom I would strongly caution a practicing Catholic to read.
Tarot cards might not have always been used by the occult, but they primarily are. Indeed, even this guy says that he 't not at all interested in their occult usage. Just because he’s a “famous Catholic convert” doesn’t mean he’s any kind of expert on theology. **

:tsktsk:

Yes, from what I have read, it is a similar doorway to the demonic as Ouija Boards are. Whenever I read about the danger of the demonic and there lists Ouija Boards, it almost always lists Tarot Cards as well.

I would definitely counsel against them.

I hope this has helped

God Bless You

Thank you for reading
Josh

Stay far away from them. They may seem like just another deck of cards, but they are used in fortune telling.

If you are feeling tempted by them, just keep praying for help with your temptations.

We all have temptations, and if you have some time, I would try and spend some time before the Blessed Sacrament. I used to find this particularly helpful when I would be feeling especially troubled by something, either spent by going to church early and praying there, or by spending time where I could go and spend time in Eucharistic Adoration.

God bless you.

Hello,

As some know, tarot cards were once considered a game, but today, that is no longer true. I have seen many types of decks with different images. That is, variations on the average images. People are naturally curious but not to the same degree as others. Some might look at the cards and think they’re make-believe, others - too many - view the cards in a number of ways. Most are seeking esoteric/hidden knowledge which they find exciting for its own sake while others try to make some money off them by offering card readings. This is a form of divination which is forbidden. Say, you get a reading which tells your future or the likelihood of this or that event turning out well. I had one free reading where I was told various things, but regarding one subject, the reader told me he’d rather not say. That was my only experience back when I was in my 20’s. I thought nothing further of it but kept running across tarot decks being sold at various places.

Now, for those who are involved in various New Age (actually, very early occult, pagan, wiccan and other esoteric practices), owning a tarot deck is on your list. Not as a curiosity but as a guide to your future. Those who believe in this must realize, are these things from God or the Devil? They certainly are not from God and should never be used.

Hope this helps.

Ed

:ehh: Tarot cards are not just a ‘card game’, we are not talking about a game of poker or something. Tarot cards are a spiritual game that involve cards.

I agree with Bookcat and the CCC he/she quoted.

I hope this has helped

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

Michael Dummett, a prominent Catholic convert, is no expert on theology. However, Thomas L. McDonald, who wrote a series about the real history of tarot for the Christian web site Patheos, which I will cite again here, is in fact an expert in games (card games to the issue at hand), having published GAMES magazine and is a contributor to EWTN. Here is his LinkedIn page:
linkedin.com/in/thomas-l-mcdonald-40329511

And this is his (the EWTN contributor) story about tarot’s history for Patheos:
patheos.com/blogs/godandthemachine/2013/07/the-real-history-of-tarot/

And here is his (Thomas McDonald’s) interview with Mark Shea about tarot history:
breadboxmedia.podbean.com/e/connecting-the-dots-w-mark-shea-tom-mcdonald-tarot-cards/

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

Since the 1700s (or possibly before) Tarot cards have been associated with divination and the occult. They are obviously in contradiction with the teachings of the Catholic church and should not be brought into your home.

God is our future. Look to him for your answers. I have found that contemplative prayer holds a great deal of direction for me. That would be my suggestion. Peace be with you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.