Morally cohabitating

In order to qualify for the benefits you are referring to, your “roommate” must either be your spouse or (in some states) your “domestic partner”. It is never merely a roommate. I presumed you knew this.

I wouldn’t present false data to an employer (saying you are in a relationship with someone when you are not) to seek insurance benefits. Depending on the policy language of the employer offering insurance, that can be considered fraud. If you are just asking the question, you need to see your employer’s policy standards for adding a dependent. If it is not open to roommates, that answers your question.:o

An employer has the right to put stipulations in the policy language…otherwise, it would be paying for cousins, third and fourth removed.:stuck_out_tongue: If it is in the policy language that roomates can be covered, then it would be ok to add a person you’re not romantically involved with.

Assuming it is all ok with the employer/ insurance company, What type of formal dependency relationships are considered moral?

Hi royal;

I work in this business, and is the word you’re looking for ethical…or is it moral? The employer can open it up to homosexual couples, and domestic partners…the theory being that when the money is taken from the employee’s check for the medical coverage, it is being used for people living in the household, where there is ‘insurable interest.’ I can see where you would want to help someone, but from the point of view of an insurer, or employer extending a policy–they used to only open the coverage up to married couples, and their children. Now, my employer opens it up to domestic partners, etc…and their partners’ children. I thought that was interesting, but many companies are going to this.

I personally don’t find cohabitation, a moral thing, from a religious viewpoint, but from an insurance perspective, if the employer allows it, then it’s legal. Morality really doesn’t play a role in it then. Does that make sense?:o

If I were you, I would ask your employer what constitutes a dependant on the policy…that would be the language. And then, if they say…if the person if your domestic partner, or spouse–then you will not be permitted to add this person to your policy. Domestic partners typically have to prove their partnership…like maybe a mortgage with both their names on it, or something like this…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.