Morals

Anyone care to provide a rebuttal?

"What Christian values? All values today have predated Christianity.

The 10 Commandments? These aren’t law. Only “though shall not kill” predated Christianity.

Golden Rule? It predates Christianity and can be found in the philosophies of ancient, Greece, Babylon, Judea, India, Egypt, and China.

Which special values to Christians provide?

Christians are the original SJW."

The Golden Rule is a universal moral, that’s why – it transcends cultural and religious boundaries. How could Jesus Christ, a first century AD Jew, have that same philosophical statement as Confucius, a 6th century BC Asian man? It is in our hearts.

The idea that the Ten Commandments aren’t law: where is this person getting their authority? If they even think that “thou shalt not kill” is a universal commandment, they are wrong (in their philosophy). Assuming that they’re a naturalist, morals just have to be taken from the next culture. They cannot say that there are universal moral values, just overlapping ones.

Remember that we, who are basing our morality off of divine and natural law, infallible and unchangeable in essence, have been given this by God, not by men.

That’s all I’ve got. God bless!

I suppose that is true, because the Hindu religion is one of the world’s oldest religions and Hindus adhere to a moral code with several central moral values.

Alot of things predate “Christianity”

Like Judaism which mean by extension Christianity goes back equalky as far as Judaism.

Noah was not Jewish as there was no “named” religion of God at the time because He just was.

Just as ALL of this morality dates back to Adam and Eve who had no “religion”

Cain and Abel “no religion” etc etc…

It was ONLY after humans invented religions that contradicted the truth that God made a “religion” because before humans chose to bastardize the truth, the truth was a fact of life.

If everyone were one religion always, we would need not a name for it because “human” would be synonymous with such.

Words have power when we let them, truth has power always. Let the truth have power and ignore words :slight_smile:

If basic morality were invented by Christianity, or first defined by it, then humans could hardly be said to be made in the image of God. Natural law has always existed.

The thing about Christianity isn’t that it has its own special morality–it’s that it is the means–the tool, if you will–which God provides for us to overcome our immorality. It enables belief in the Savior, and the receiving of his saving graces.

Indeed, if the morality already written in men’s hearts before Christianity were being followed, Christian salvation wouldn’t even be necessary.

I’m no history expert, so it’s possible that some other religion or philosophy came up with something similar before Christ said:

“I say to you, offer no resistance to one who is evil. When someone strikes you on (your) right cheek, turn the other one to him as well. If anyone wants to go to law with you over your tunic, hand him your cloak as well. Should anyone press you into service for one mile, go with him for two miles. Give to the one who asks of you, and do not turn your back on one who wants to borrow. You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.'But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you…” (Mt 5:39-44)

It is my understanding that Roman Catholics do not believe this, but Jehovah’s Witnesses do believe it. For example, taken literally, would it not require you to be a pacifist and not take part in wars as Jehovah’s Witnesses teach?

Context is key.

The slap was an insult and by the morals of the time it was not until the second slap that you were really entitled to “fight” kind of like if someone pushes you in a quick shove burst you can stand down and difuse the situation.

But if the person squares up and attempts to assult you to grest harm this is a different thing.

It its negative formulation yes. But Jesus gave it a positive formulation (more later). Instead of do not do to others…it is do to others!

And remember that Jesus is the Son of God - Who has always been…he is the Logos. Who enlightens men. All that is true and good - come from God.

Now back to the golden rule formulation:

Here this will be of great interest:

Then Cardinal Ratzinger (Later Pope Benedict XVI!) noted in God and the World (Ignatius Press) that the* positive f*ormulation of the Golden Rule by Jesus:

“calls forth, so to speak, the creative imagination of love. … in the end this opens up an infinitely broad field within the creative potential of goodness that can be developed…And this real self-giving, with all its creative imagination, with all the possibilities that open up to us, is expressed in a quite practical rule, so that it doesn’t remain just an idealistic dream.”

the slap is only one part of the statement. The first part says:
I say to you, offer no resistance to one who is evil.
I don’t think that Roman Catholics believe that. But other religions, such as Jehovah’s Witnesses do believe that you should not take part in war.

Some people believe the world is flat :shrug:

It its negative formulation yes. But Jesus gave it a positive formulation (more later). Instead of do not do to others…it is do to others!

And remember that Jesus is the Son of God - Who has always been…he is the Logos. Who enlightens men. All that is true and good - come from God.

Now back to the golden rule formulation:

Here this will be of great interest:

As I noted other formulations were in a negative form (which is of course still good) but Jesus gave it in a positive:

Then Cardinal Ratzinger (Later Pope Benedict XVI!) noted in God and the World (Ignatius Press) that the* positive f*ormulation of the Golden Rule by Jesus:

“calls forth, so to speak, the creative imagination of love. … in the end this opens up an infinitely broad field within the creative potential of goodness that can be developed…And this real self-giving, with all its creative imagination, with all the possibilities that open up to us, is expressed in a quite practical rule, so that it doesn’t remain just an idealistic dream.”

Well what about the theory od morality based on evolution?

But what’s with Catholics saying that only Catholicism is the one true path to salvation and heaven? By your reasoning as long as one is a Christian, any of non-denomination, then he fine in the eyes of God.

Huh?

Evolution?

No.

Teaching.

From the lips of the *Logos *himself.

Do you say then that Roman Catholics should go against what God has told them and they should reject the divine commandment to offer no resistance to one who is evil ?
“I say to you, offer no resistance to one who is evil.” Matthew 5:39 Sermon on the Mount.
Isn’t is somewhat blasphemous to compare the divine teachings of the Sermon on the Mount with the erroneous teaching that the world is flat?
Why isn’t it better to adhere to what Jesus Christ taught about offering no resistance to one who is evil by refusing to fight in war as Jehovah’s Witnesses do? In a war, it always happens that innocent people, women and children suffer and die. IMHO, peace is always better than war.

The immediately preceding verse states "You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ (Mt 5:38). Jesus was overturning the then widely held belief in a personal right to equal retaliation for any slight, no matter how small, and was not imposing a prohibition on self-defense.

I believe we discussed literalness before. You refused to comment on my example of what literal is.

So no matter what I say you will say “but God says” in a way you percieve it.

The Sermon on the mount is not comparable to the teaching that the earth is flat. The bible says:
“I say to you, offer no resistance to one who is evil.” Matthew 5:39.
Scripture specifically says: “I say to you” Who is the I except for God, the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity?
Jehovah’s Witnesses take this passage as a justification for their refusal to participate in war.

I didnt mean the flat, I meant the other thread where I literalled myself.

And by that

I am not “mean” to flat things, and by thread I am talking of string…

And by not mean i meant I was not mean nor nice but nuetral or was I nice?

And by talking of string I mean only strings, not yarn.

And by not yarn I mean not a tale

And by not a tale I mean I cant say anything regarding a story

Which I failed and am now going to hell

And that means I am literally traveling to hell at this moment.
And so on and so forth… yep lets tske things randomly how we want thousands of years later after breaking aways from a break away that broke from a break away and know we nailed it finally… yay!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.