More Anti-Catholicism

Okay I admit I haven’t been Catholic long but wow am I surprised at the anti-Catholicism out there. Now to be fair, I do live in the heart of the deep South, likely the most protestant place on earth (on a host of levels). Nonetheless, I have been told that I am not Christian more than once. Apparently you have to believe the Southern Baptist version of salvation to get anywhere. That ideology permeates into every denomination around here. I have also been told the Catholic Church is the whore of Babylon. I have been given anti-Catholic tracts and have been prayed for my return to the Episcopal Church. I knew my change would not be received by all but I was not prepared for this type of onslaught. Just yesterday on the radio they were touting a web site called [Moderator Note: Website removed to prevent board swarming], a blatant anti-catholic web site that claims Roman Catholics are not Christian! ARRRGGHHH!:hypno:

Any thoughts?
How do you deal with this type of thing?
Ignore it?

Can you point me in the direction of the Anti-Catholicism that you are talking about…

Really, I ignore it.

I think Anti-Catholics sometimes bring people to the Church…it did me…

Yes, it can be a maddening and a depressing phenomenon when one meets that blatant anti-Catholic behaviour.

The saddest thing about it that, for many of the practitioners, being anti-Catholic is what gives them an identity as a group. Take that from them, and there’s not much elde to be had. I have had occasion to see one of these groups turn inward over a disagreement on a doctrinal issue – one that had something to do with dispensationalism, of all things – and the viciousness they exhibited to each other made them look almost cordioal to Catholics like us.

As I said, quite sad.

Blessings,

Gerry

I’ve dealt with that a little bit at college. If you know your stuff you can disarm people fairly quickly. Just don’t flip out. Keep your sense of humor. Don’t be afraid just to end the conversation and walk away.
I think my standing up for my religion to the point in which I walked away from them and left them in silence made them really think. That makes them question themselves, which they need to do. Good Luck.

People amaze me…really they do. You’ve got to learn to expect trash talk from Southern baptists…thats all they do. I grew up in a southern baptist church and you wouldn’t believe some of the things I heard about Catholics (well, you probably would because you’ve prolly heard it from them before).

Being as analytical and logical as I am I saw the problems with this trash talk from the time I was just a tiny kid. I remember when I was 7 I asked my dad two questions “whats a catholic?” and “why does pastor Dan hate them so much?” My dad was raised in the north so he was able to answer my questions without much bias. I think thats when I first thought “wait, somethings wrong here…this isn’t right” in regards to religion. Soon after that we moved to michigan and we went to a Baptist fundamentalist church :eek:

I don’t think it’s just SBs…or even all n-Cs for that matter, but there are folks who just plain don’t know what they are talking about with regard to our most holy faith and some of them do indeed qualify as anti-Catholics. Like the OP I live in the South and I really think that we do see more of it and the varieties that I have seen are more vitriolic than you would expect.

There is a guy in a city about 100 miles from us who is some kind of Independent “Baptist” “street preacher” who is all proud of his video of him interrupting a Mass to shout his a-C message, even calling the priest “that drunken, fornicating, old soldier of Satan” and a good two minutes of loud harranging before the congregation stood and drowned him out singing the simple chorus “Alleluia”. (I was really proud of them for that!) He even wore a roman collar with a black shirt which IMO is shameful deception.

IMO he’s a good example of a bad excuse for a man of God, and a disgrace to the Gospel of Christ.

I am grateful to God that most of our n-C folks on here are better people than that.:thumbsup:

Catholic Answers exists because there are people like that out there and because many Catholics (who are generally pretty mellow people most of the time) want to know the truth and how to respond when such rhetoric and propaganda crop up.

The funny thing is that it was that very kind of a-C stuff that got me examining the Catholic faith and ultimately brought me home. you can read my testimony on my apologetics blog if you want to.

My philosophy: Don’t let 'em getcha down. Just keep calmly and charitably offering the truth until and unless they get nasty. Then knock the dust off your shoes and be on your way, just as Our Lord told us to do in Luke 9:5. :slight_smile:

I have been given anti-Catholic tracts and have been prayed for my return to the Episcopal Church.

:rotfl: Now THAT’S funny. You’d think if they were Southern Baptists or another kind of Bible-believing protestant, they’d certainly NOT want you to go back to TEC under ANY circumstances.

At least not if they know what’s going on in the Episcopal Church…

“Hey, get out of that satanic, works based Roman Church and go back to your pantheistic, pagan, openly heretical denomination that doesn’t believe anything, really. But at least you won’t be a PAPIST!” :rotfl:

too funny.

I’m from TN so I see this a lot too. I work with several Baptist (not just SBC) and some Church of God members and some I can tell don’t think too highly of me for converting to Catholicism. They’ve never come out and said I’m not a Christian, etc, but you can tell its in their voice. The funny thing is, the ones who don’t have a problem with it are the Pentecostal ladies that I work with! What I try to do (and DH-bless him, who’s not Catholic, does too) is answer to the best of our ability any questions they have in a non-argumentative way so that they will better understand what they apparantely don’t.

Thanks for the encouragement! It has just been a bit of a let down as I am sooooo proud of being part of the Catholic church and the experience with the folks I have met within the church along the way has been a true blessing. My wife and I went through RCIA together and can’t say enough good things about our journey. It seems impossible to understand why so many people have such a deep rooted issue with the Catholic church which then translates into an issue with me and my family. I do think most are well meaning and are just trying to spread God’s word as they see it but they don’t get how hurtful it can be. Others are simply mean spirited. I am learning to ignore and walk away but then feel ashamed I didn’t do more to defend the faith. I am voraciously reading anything Catholic and learning as much about the history of the Church around here to better defend myself. I am new, but not weak…onward…:thumbsup:

:signofcross:
St. michael pray for us

Divert their attention. Like pointing them into Islam’s direction. Who knows, a common enemy might make them realize how much you two share in common. Hey thats what Pope Urban did when he saw Christians killing each other. :smiley:

I think that anti-Catholicism of the Baptists in major part is based on those extraordinary revelations in understanding of prophesies and also on the criticism of the historical past of Catholicism which represented in one-sided way and often not objective way.
I would advise you just to read more threads on this forum !:blessyou:

Don’t feel bad. Most Southern Baptists think Methodists are of the devil as well. Ignore it and go on.

Not surprising. Many charismatics are open to the Church and are more likely to convert. They know their is something missing in their lives, something supernatural. After the tongues, the 'slain in the Spirit, and other ‘manifestations’ grow thin, they find what their looking for in the Eucharist.

Take it from this former anti Catholic fundamentalist preacher, the anti Catholic hate begins to turn around and the person is drawn to that which he formally hated.

I also live in the south, Tennessee (GO VOLS!) and I know exactly what you mean. I actually had a SB preacher tell me that my kids and I were going to Hell for being in the Catholic Church:eek:

These are the folks ya just gotta pray harder for. Remember always, that they also did not receive Jesus to kindly in some parts and wanted to stone Him to death.

Stay strong in your faith, that is the best way to evangelize. Also study your faith. Know their arguments/attacks and be ready with a response (respond in love and chariety always) and with the SB, never EVER be afraid to quote scripture and not the Catechism. Reason Not the catechism? I had that same SB preacher tell me that he would not listen to a book written by man, Only the KJV bible.:rolleyes:

Love, Charity, Prayer and short explanations, the rest you leave up to God.

People have an obsession with Catholics. If we are so wrong, why all the fuss?:wink:

People have an obsession with Catholics. If we are so wrong, why all the fuss?

Yeah - ever notice that when the Satanists do their thing, it’s a Black Mass, not a Black Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting?

:rotfl: :rotfl: I think…:frowning: :smiley:

Good Catholic Man, just remember that you are now part of a group that many hate because they don’t know anything about it. These people should be prayed for. They mostly have a good heart and are genuinely concerned… but they are misguided. There are those too that truly hate the Catholic Church… mostly they are called Satanic.

Just remember what Jesus said:

10 Blessed are they that suffer persecution for justice’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake: 12 Be glad and rejoice, for your reward is very great in heaven. For so they persecuted the prophets that were before you. 13 You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt lose its savour, wherewith shall it be salted? It is good for nothing any more but to be cast out, and to be trodden on by men. 14 You are the light of the world. A city seated on a mountain cannot be hid. 15 Neither do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but upon a candlestick, that it may shine to all that are in the house.

16 So let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

We are in the company of greatness…

:harp: :grouphug:

:knight1: :knight2:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.