More great news from Notre Dame

Notre Dame is taking even greater strides to ensure her ties to Rome are strong and secure. Pope Benedict also agrees that Notre Dame is a “Great Catholic University”. Keep up the outstanding work Fr. Jenkins! Below is an excerpt from www.nd.edu.

"Father Jenkins meets pope; honorary degrees are presented
Date: February 2, 2006

Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C., president of the University of Notre Dame, met Pope Benedict XVI on Wednesday following a general audience in the Vatican’s Paul VI Auditorium.

The pope shook hands with Father Jenkins and called Notre Dame “a great Catholic university.” The University president thanked the pope and said, “Keep us in your prayers.”

Nearly 50 Notre Dame Trustees, officers and their spouses attended the papal audience. The Board of Trustees held its annual winter meeting Tuesday and Wednesday in Rome. The group will remain in the city through the week to meet with a variety of Vatican officials.

Also on Wednesday, the University presented honorary degrees to L. Francis Rooney III, U.S. Ambassador to the Holy See, and the Most Rev. Rino Fisichella, auxiliary bishop of Rome and rector of St. John Lateran University. The honorary doctor of laws degrees were presented as part of a University-sponsored academic convocation…"

Do you think ND is a “good Catholic” school or just a good school?

Bigdawg,
From my experiences as a student, I believe it truly is a great Catholic school. I like the fact that there is a Mass being said almost every hour of the day. That alone always left me with a feeling of inner peace. There are well over thirty Masses said on campus each and every day, as well as daily confessions in the Basilica (twice daily actually) and daily rosary at the grotto. I guess I see it as a great Catholic university because the sacraments are so evident on campus.

[quote=bigdawg]Do you think ND is a “good Catholic” school or just a good school?
[/quote]

I’m praying that Fr. Jenkins will make it a “good Catholic” school again. The ridiculous activities taking place on campus relating to sexual themes, homosexuality and such have no place at Notre Dame, or anywhere else in the world for that matter. I ask that you all pray for Notre Dame and all of our other Catholic Schools, from higher education down to the grade schools.

[quote=Domer1997]Bigdawg,
From my experiences as a student, I believe it truly is a great Catholic school. I like the fact that there is a Mass being said almost every hour of the day. That alone always left me with a feeling of inner peace. There are well over thirty Masses said on campus each and every day, as well as daily confessions in the Basilica (twice daily actually) and daily rosary at the grotto. I guess I see it as a great Catholic university because the sacraments are so evident on campus.
[/quote]

Domer,

I myself don’t really know one way or the other. Cetainly, as another poster said, certain activities such as the “V Monologues” have no place there and I only hear about the negative things occuring on campus and not the good things.

How orthodox is the theology department…outside of Fr. McBrien?

BigDawg,
The media and the radical left and right wings always seem to stir up more controversy in this world than we really need. Please believe me when I say you have to experience Notre Dame (and not necessarily as a student) to know how truly religious it is. Yes, the Vagina Monologues took place there over the past four years. It looks like this will most likely be their last year. The president has taken a pretty fierce stance on protecting the school’s Catholic identity. Even this year’s monologue performance has been reduced to a classroom. I’m not a fan of the Monologues (I’ve only read a few excerpts and have not liked what I read). However, people in this world have to realize that it is just a play. Those students are actors, just like if they were in the national tour of “Rent” or something. “Rent” for example is VERY much against Catholic teaching, but it’s a play (and with really good music). I’ve seen it twice. The show made me more Catholic. I now know how NOT to live my life. And, that a life which is centered in Christ’s teaching will not lead one down that path of destruction.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope the Monologues stay away from Catholic college campuses because of the unfortunate political ramifications, but if presented with explanations of the Church’s teaching and WHY parts of those performances do not fit into Catholic doctrine, students may actually be able to grow fully in their faith. They are able to see something controversial and use the art of appologetics to decifer why it is morally corrupt. This would cause many people to actually strengthen their faith. My sixth grade teacher at my Catholic grade school told our class that the best way to strengthen your faith is to question your faith. I’ve taken what she said very seriously and have kept that phrase in the front of my mind at all times.

Catholic univerisities shouldn’t endorse ideology against Church teaching. But, if these ideas are presented in a truly academic manner and within a Catholic setting, they can really help deepen one’s own faith in God and in His works.

…just my opinion though :slight_smile:

God Bless.

So I see they are in the news again. This time about the “Gay Film Festival.” Fr. Jenkins is apparently quizzing alumni, students, teachers and others as to whether it should be allowed to continue. It was reported that many students are going around w/ t-shirts supporting the festival. One student interviewed (who seemed particularly bright :confused: ) said something like “Uh, I think they just wanna get rid of any views that just don’t fit into their neat little box of Catholic doctrine on sexuality.”

Geesh. Maybe I shouldn’t send my girls to Catholic schools if they end up that observant.:wink:

I have my reservations about Notre Dame. Although Fr Jenkins I believe that is his name, the new president at ND is going to reveiw and discuss if the Vagina Monologues and the ‘Gay Film Festival’ will be future events for the college, he is allowing them to continue this year, even though he knows it goes against Catholic Church teaching. Let us pray for the Holy Spirit to truly guide this new President.

On another note, Dr. Mark Noll, a church historian teacher from Wheaton University will be start teaching at Notre Dame this Fall 2006. Mark Noll’s recent book it entitled “Is the Reformation Over” I only know of this book from what I read on the amazon site and book reviews. IgnatiusInsight also did an interview with Noll.
Just thought I would share this information…who knows that Noll may be a greater inspiration for the CAtholic Church at ND, than some of the professors presently teaching history and theology at ND?

In the hearts of Jesus and Mary

Brad Gregory teaches there too. His “Salvation at Stake” is an incredible read on Martyrdom in the early modern age.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.