More Holy Week Questions/Dilemmas

I didn’t want to derail someone else’s thread. I know there are 2 more going on about Good Friday and Holy Week. I am a recent convert and am the only Catholic in my family, immediate and extended. My husband has made it clear that he does not want his children raised Catholic.

My mom, who lives about 5 hours away, is having an Easter egg hunt and a small birthday party for my niece and nephew on Holy Saturday, around lunch time. I had originally thought that perhaps we could drive up on Friday evening and stay through Saturday and drive back Saturday night so I would be back at my own parish for Easter Sunday. After Mass today (our priest reminded us of the importance of Holy Week and how it should be just that–Holy. No shopping, no parties, etc.) I started rethinking the plan.

I just had a baby 3 weeks ago, so I can use this as the excuse and not hurt anyone’s feelings. Or should I just give the real reason, that I want to properly observe the days leading up to Easter? But even as far as my immediate family goes–my husband, myself and 4 little children–I doubt we will do much in observation of those days. Even if we stay home, my husband will probably want to do some “fun” things on Saturday–he can’t stand to stay at home and do nothing. What should I do? Should I just go along with other people’s plans? Or should I just stay home alone and even risk making my husband angry at me? Or should I use the baby excuse even with him–fake tiredness, etc. (although I doubt I will have to fake it!)

I would welcome any advice or ideas! Thanks!

[quote=Lone Catholic] What should I do? Should I just go along with other people’s plans? Or should I just stay home alone and even risk making my husband angry at me? Or should I use the baby excuse even with him–fake tiredness, etc. (although I doubt I will have to fake it!) I would welcome any advice or ideas! Thanks!
[/quote]

For the record, you don’t “make your husband angry at you”, he chooses to be angry :wink:

If you have a 3 week old baby, I think you ought to do whatever you feel up to. Goodness, at 3 weeks post partum, I would not have felt like packing up little kids and going away. Do your best to observe Holy Week in the situation you are in. That in itself may be a great Lenten sacrifice! —KCT

You don’t need to be overly scrupulous nor overly pious to observe Holy Week. Certainly, on Good Friday we are called both to fast, abstainence, and prayer. As a new Catholic and under your circumstances (with a non-Catholic, somewhat hostile husband and little children), you are called to do the best you can. Our faith is not one of privation and total seriousness. Attending an egg hunt on Saturday of Holy Week should not cause you concern. Do try to pray on Good Friday and talk to your children about Christ’s death and why we remember his suffering and death.

Another idea is that–as far as I understand it–you would not be lying to your husband if you told him you preferred to stay close to home because of being three weeks’ postpartum. That there may be other reasons for desiring to stay home does not negate the baby reason. I suppose if he asked you, “Is that the ONLY reason?”, then you would be misleading to say “yes.”

Heck, maybe your husband would even enjoy taking one, two, or three of the older children to that family event while you stay home with the newborn to recuperate peacefully.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.