More islamic insanity

By Mohammed Jamjoom
CNN

(CNN) – Husbands are allowed to slap their wives if they spend lavishly, a Saudi judge said recently during a seminar on domestic violence, Saudi media reported Sunday.

It is OK to slap Saudi women who spend too much, a judge has told an audience.

Arab News, a Saudi English-language daily newspaper based in Riyadh, reported that Judge Hamad Al-Razine said that “if a person gives SR 1,200 $320] to his wife and she spends 900 riyals $240] to purchase an abaya [the black cover that women in Saudi Arabia must wear] from a brand shop and if her husband slaps her on the face as a reaction to her action, she deserves that punishment.”

Women in the audience immediately and loudly protested Al-Razine’s statement, and were shocked to learn the remarks came from a judge, the newspaper reported.

Arab News reported that Al-Razine made his remark as he was attempting to explain why incidents of domestic violence had increased in Saudi Arabia. He said that women and men shared responsibility, but added that “nobody puts even a fraction of blame” on women, the newspaper said.

Al-Razine “also pointed out that women’s indecent behavior and use of offensive words against their husbands were some of the reasons for domestic violence in the country,” it added.

Domestic violence, which used to be a taboo subject in the conservative kingdom, has become a hot topic in recent years. Groups like the National Family Safety Program have campaigned to educate the public about the problem and help prevent domestic abuse.

Saudi women’s rights activist Wajeha Al-Huwaider told CNN that Saudi women routinely face such attitudes.

“**This is how men in Saudi Arabia see women,” **she said in a telephone interview from the Saudi city of Dahran. "It’s not something they read in a book or learned from a friend. They’ve been raised to see women this way, that they’re less than a person."
Al-Huwaider added that “I’m not surprised to see a judge or a religious man saying that - they’ve been raised in the same culture - a culture that tells them it’s ok to raise your hand to a woman that this works.”

Another Saudi judge, in the city of Onaiza, was the source of a separate recent controversy: he twice denied a request from the mother of an 8-year-old girl that the girl be granted a divorce from her 47-year-old husband.

Last month, after human-groups condemned the union, the girl was granted the divorce.

This is not Islamic, it is human. Christianity has not been without such a history (and worse). To blame the justification of domestic violence on Islam, in my opinion, is disingenuous. I grew up in a “good Catholic family” with alcoholism and domestic violence. When my mother sought counsel from the parish priest, she was told to go home and submit to her husband. She did so, and endured years of being black and blue.

The Bible has been used to justify domestic violence and the abuse of men, women, children, animals, and the environment since it was written.

I agree, it is insane, but it is not an insanity belonging to Islam necessarily.

:thumbsup:

I agree. People misuse Islam (we call those who do Islamists) to commit all kinds of atrocities.

People in the US - predominantly Protestants - used the Bible to justify slavery, while other Protestants used the same book to protest the practice.

There is more than one view in Islam. The islamists are the most vocal.

IMO, other Muslims in those countries, like the Protestants and others who protested slavery, need to stand up and shout. Standing by silently is seen by the world as tacit approval.

The story above is actually good news. At least they’re being challenged for their crimes now. A judge is being forced to explain his rulings. That’s a good thing. It’s a start.

Too many women put up with abuse. Sometimes it’s their religion that tells them to. Sometimes it’s society. Sometimes both. But ultimately, women have to learn that they have human worth that transends all of that.

Things are better here now, but women still leave and go back to their abusers. I don’t get it. Society is saying “Leave!”. The law supports them. Christian churches don’t look the other way anymore. So what gives?

Maybe it’s the way we raise girls here (and around the world). True self worth (vs self esteem) seems to be lacking.

I don’t think you would find as many men who would stick around to be beat up, or once they left would go back for more. I know there are women who like to abuse with the “best” of the male abusers, but they’re fewer in number, and if the man gets mad enough, she’s in for it. That probably limits the number women who are willing to take on a man in an abusive way.

Money isn’t the issue. Women’s earning power has never been greater. It’s not about the kids. Even women without kids stick around for more of the same.

In this country the abuse isn’t about the religion. Divorce is rampant for less serious reasons, so an abused woman wouldn’t be alone in leaving a husband. And women don’t seem to stick around only because of their religions, since women with no religion, or who aren’t married to the men, still go back for more.)

Do you think religion can help?

Does anyone know of a study that compares abuse rates in different religions? (Not that one or another promotes abuse, but maybe one or anohter is better at discouraging it.)

Condoning violence is inexcusable, no question about it. But I think people who jump at any reason to prop up their own religion at the expense of another religion should consider long and hard where the true source of their anger is coming from. Are you upset with the way the individual women will be treated? Or if you take a moment to look deep into your heart, is your real interest in this story simply to embarrass people who aren’t like you?

As an example, someone just posted “The power of political correctness” concerning the fact that the Swiss Guard is finally considering allowing women. Granted, this isn’t condoning violence, but suppressing someone else’s rights is a distant second.

Thanks you for sharing this very personal experience.

You are not allowed to beat your wife (according to the Bible)

Whereas in islam, specifically in the quran a man is permitted to beat his wife.

However in middle eastern countries it goes beyond an inept insecure inebriated lout of a man taking his anger at the world on his wife.

Did you read the article?

Men there see women as sub human, I have been there - so let me assure you the muslim “activist” woman is not exaggerating when she says

“This is how men in Saudi Arabia see women,” she said in a telephone interview from the Saudi city of Dahran. "It’s not something they read in a book or learned from a friend. They’ve been raised to see women this way, that they’re less than a person."
Al-Huwaider added that** “I’m not surprised to see a judge or a religious man saying that - they’ve been raised in the same culture - a culture that tells them it’s ok to raise your hand to a woman that this works.”

** In the name of Allah , the Most Gracious , Ever Merciful **

http://theislampath.com/smf/Smileys/default/salam.gif

Your are toooo late ; another participants already posted it opppss :rolleyes:

btw Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) never hit any of his wives ( or slaves or others) . Once he was angry with wives , he just left home & stayed at the nearby mosque for several days & nigths. All must follow this wonderful example as he came to us as a mercy of God Almighty.

Not true muslim woman. There is an authentic ahadith to the effect of him beating ayesha on her chest.

I will find it for you.

“He struck me on the chest which caused me pain” Sahih Muslim vol. 2:2127

Salaam/ Peace

Very sorry to hear that . In that case , was she allowed to go for divorce ?

lol , he was angry with her , beated & injured her ?? That’s why when God Almighty gave choice if she & other wives can get earthy wealth & can end married life , it was Mother Aisha (ra ) who responded first : I want the meseenger of God ?

Allah was talking to Ayesha as well? and asking her questions?

Where and when did this happen.

Muslim woman might I remind you that I am married to a muslim woman from your country, you can’t slip in stories…I would know about them.

Why in the world would an abaya cost 240$ ??

lots of cloth?

Salaam/ Peace

I have to browse …

Muslim woman might I remind you that I am married to a muslim woman from your country, you can’t slip in stories…I would know about them.

funny ; Quran is available online . U don’t need to marry a Muslim Woman to check if I am writing true or false from Quran.

Tooo bad that a sister from my country is living in a major sin .

Show me where Allah speaks to Ayesha and I will concede

Thanks for the well wishes on my marriage.

Yes thankfully the freedom fighters of your country rejected a religious govt. or else hindus would be burning their widows and muslims would be beating up their wives.

But in India and some portions of pakistan you actually have western style values and govt that is a boon to your country

You guys should be thanking us for colonizing and civilizing you.

O Prophet (Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم)! Say to your wives: "If you desire the life of this world, and its glitter, then come! I will make a provision for you and set you free in a handsome manner (divorce).

“But if you desire Allah and His Messenger, and the home of the Hereafter, then verily, Allah has prepared for Al-Muhsinat (good-doers) amongst you an enormous reward.”

( 33: 28-29)

searchtruth.com/chapter_display.php?chapter=33&translator=5

It does not matter what I wish for your married life , the matter is God did not allow Muslim Women to marry non-Muslims. So , any Muslim Woman does it , she is committing a sin. It’s better for her hereafter that she corrects the great mistake.

Show me where in the quran it says this.

Show me one video on youtube of a priest of pastor who encourages beating of your wife. I can show you severel where muslim Imams say it very clearly:
youtube.com/watch?v=bePfSeh2ZDs&NR=1
youtube.com/watch?v=Dtfi0LGvYR8&feature=related
youtube.com/watch?v=1eRqG3poToo&feature=related
youtube.com/watch?v=wh7qiO3Ygnk&feature=related

The common trait in all these is that the Muslim guy who is speaking is seriously brain washed and says the most horrible stuff while making it clear that he is just repeating what Sharia law prescribes.

In Islam the teaching is this:“If you fear rebellion from your wife, beat her”.

What happend in your family was a tragedy but dont blame Jesus and His teaching because your father did not treat your mother well and your priest was a cold stone who should probably never have been a priest in the first place.

So , your wife showed you a verse that says , Muslim Women can marry non-Muslims ? Tell her to show me that verse .

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.