More -N- More

Hey everyone,

I’m out of books. I need more.

Here’s what I’ve read so far

Surprised By Truth (the one by Patrick Madrid)
Catholic Traditions, Treasures New and Old
Handbook for Today’s Catholic
LIfe in Christ - A Chatechism for Adult Catholics
Catholic for a Reason
Catholicism and Fundamentalism
Triumph: The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church
Apologetics for the Scripturally Challenged (tapes)
Becoming a Catholic Family (tapes - Scott and Kimberly Hahn)

I need more now. Maybe something a little different. Conversion stories are always big fun, so I"ll probably try to get my hands on the other Surprised books. Any ideas? Oh and Church Militant if you see this, will you post or PM me that link to the Catholic Home Study Course tapes? You’ve given it to me before but, I think I lost it. :frowning:

If you don’t see this, I’ll pm you. Anyway…anyone anyone? Someone give me some ideas whine, poke, needle, wheedle

:smiley:

Check out The Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton, it was recommended to me by a priest when I inquired about converting to Catholicism; so far it’s a good read.

That is quite a list. I wished that I lived close to you, so that I could borrow some of those books.:slight_smile: Of course, I have a horrible habit of taking books into the tub with me, so you might not want to loan me any. what about ROME SWEET ROME by Scott Hahn? Have you read that yet?

Crossing The Tiber by Steve Ray…great conversion story…

Read some of the Early Church Fathers, like Ignatius of Antioch, Justin Martyr, Augustine, etc. They have some great things to say about the faith, and it is amazing to see how Catholic the very earliest church was in terms of its doctrine.

You can get them all online at www.ccel.org and they are also available for download at various places on the net.

I can’t think of the exact titles but Jeff Cavins along with other contributors have put out a couple of books called Amazing Grace…one is about mother’s and the other is for those who suffer…as we all do at times…they were both very good.

If you feel ready to try some of the hard-core stuff I’d recommend the writings of saints such as St. Teresa of Avila and St. Francis de Sales. Introduction to the Devout Life and The Art of Loving God (which is much shorter) both by St. Francis de Sales offer great suggestions of ways to grow in holiness. St. Teresa of Avila was a Mystic. I love all her books, and they show an intimacy with Jesus that few people achieve on earth. (I know it says you’re Protestant so if you are uncomfortable with the idea of Catholic saints, reading what they actually wrote might help you understand why Catholics think they’re special people.)

If you don’t have a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, that’s a great book too.

Mere Christianity (C.S. Lewis)
Screwtape Letters (ibid)
Surprised by Joy (ibid)
Chronicals of Narnia (ibid)

**Apologia Pro Vita Sua (newman)
Conscience Consensus, and the Development of Doctrine

Anything by G.K. Chesterton

I’d recommend every book on these lists:

catholicexchange.com/vm/index.asp?vm_id=64&art_id=26314

amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/UXMZOD3SNADF/qid%3D1091139216/sr%3D5-1/ref%3Dsr%5F5%5F1/104-2706474-7593543

If you like conversion stories I’d also recommend the other two “Surprised By Truth” books, as well as “Journeys Home” edited by Marcus Grodi.

If I had to recommend **one book ** it would be “To Know Christ Jesus” by Frank Sheed. If you think you know the life of Christ, you’d be surprised by what you’ll learn from this book.

Faith of the Early Fathers

Anything by Scott Hahn is highly recommended.

Fr. Benedict Groeschel

St. Faustina

St. Therese of Lisieux

Come to Me in the Blessed Sacrament

Pope John Paul II encyclicals, available at the Vatican web site or ewtn website:
www.ewtn.com
www.vatican.va

If you want something fun, the Catholic novels by Bud MacFarlane are outstanding and can be ordered via e-mail for a small donation at:

www.catholicity.com

You already have lots of good suggestions here.

Any Friend of God’s is a Friend of Mine, by Patrick Madrid, Basilica Press (Communion of Saints, easy read)

geocities.com/thecatholicconvert/solascriptura21.html
geocities.com/thecatholicconvert/wherewegotthebible.html

Also, have you browsed back issues of This Rock magazine at Catholic.com?

Is there a specific subject you’re interested in?

It isn’t a conversion story, but I have to plug *Pope Fiction, *which is sort of a combination of apologetics regarding the basis for the Pope with a history of the Holy See. Really interesting, and pretty readable (I’m not as intellectually inclined as a lot of the people on this board).

I recommend St Francis de Sales,

The Catholic Controversy

catholictreasures.com/cartdescrip/10096.html

This is one of the best written defenses\ explanations of why we believe what we believe I have ever read. I still haven’t finished it as for me it is so inspiring I can only read a little at a time and then I am kinda pumped up for the week. You can probably read it pretty quickly but I find a lot of inspiration in it and really want to fully digest it and retain it.

You can buy it many places the link just pretty much describes what it is. This is a printing of pamplets that he used to reach about 72,000 Calvinists and bring them back to the Church.

God Bless
Scylla

Hi Curious!
Wow! You are a reading Machine! Here’s the CHSS link you asked for. (Bookmark maybe? LOL) amm.org/chss/chss.htm
Sophia Institute publishes the Surprised By Truth books now. You might consider having a look at www.Tanbooks.com, since they have some great selections and need the sales since they filed chapter 11 bankruptcy recently.
Pax tecum,

Here’s a Tan book that I have found extremely informative (from the Tan website):

The Faith of Our Fathers, by James Cardinal Gibbons.

Explains the basic tenets of the Catholic Faith and why we hold them. Delves into the historical background of virtually everything people find hard to understand about our Religion, such as priestly celibacy, sacred images, the Church and the Bible, the primacy of Peter, Communion under one kind (this info is dated, but still relevant), invocation of the Saints, etc. First published in 1876, when there was much anti- Catholic sentiment in the U.S., it sold 1.4 million copies in 40 years and has been reprinted many times since. It is a deep read. I found it at catholicfreeshipping.com around Christmastime.

SG257 :twocents:

By What Authority?, Mark Shea – A former Protestant talks himself out of believing Sola Scriptura.

Four Witnesses, The Early Church in Her Own Words, Rod Bennett.

The Age of Martyrs, Abbott Giuseppe Ricciotti, a very good book about persecution of the church in the late 3rd and early 4th century. Available from TAN books, which is in financial trouble and could use your business.

Faith and Scripture. Challenges and Responses

By Frs Y.H.Saadeh and P.Madros :thumbsup:

Jurgen’s Faith of the Fathers or Patrology by Johannes Quasten for a look at Early Church writings. I too would recommend any of Bishop Sheen’s Books or Peter Kreeft’s. Denzinger’s Sources of Catholic Dogma is an excellent resource in itself and pointing out other books. Finally, if you are really looking for an excellent yet deep book, I would say Cardinal Ratzinger’s (who is now Pope Benedict XVI :smiley: ) “Introduction to Christianity”. Hope this helps, thanks and God Bless.

Beautiful, beautiful. Thanks everyone - I didn’t expect so many reponses. You guys mentioned several I forgot, like *Rome Sweet Rome. * I’ma make me out another book list then and get em. woot!

lol - CM - I could have sworn I bookmarked that before, but didn’t. Consider it done. :wink:

Thanks a zillion everyone. I know I’ve done this periodically and everyone has been great to respond. Later I’ll go through this thread again and make a list.

I think some of you may have understood me to say that I wanted more conversion stories. That’s true and not true. I like em…but I’m not actively seeking them or anything. I’ll read em If i come across them. I know where they are, for the most part.

Also, have you browsed back issues of This Rock magazine at Catholic.com?

Is there a specific subject you’re interested in?

Yes…I’ve looked through some of those back issues but probably not in as much detail as I should. When the AAA thread does their “Recommended Reading” thing I usually try to go read it and many times it’s an issue of “This Rock.”

I don’t think a specific subject anymore. I’m considerably more comfortable with most of the “big” subjects. I’m not quite sure what I want now. More history perhaps.

(I know it says you’re Protestant so if you are uncomfortable with the idea of Catholic saints, reading what they actually wrote might help you understand why Catholics think they’re special people.)

Naw…I ain’t skeered of the saints. I might even speak with one or two now and again. :whistle:

Peace everyone. You’re a big ol help.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.