More people don't trust the clergy

As the old year ended, U.S. clergy took another hit in their reputations.

If results from the latest Gallup survey can be trusted, Americans don’t think nearly as well of its pastors, priests, rabbis and imams as they did a quarter-century ago. But they really like nurses and pharmacists.

More…
thetimesherald.com/article/20140328/OPINION02/303280022/Jim-Ketchum-More-people-don-t-trust-clergy

Because nurses and pharmacists won’t inform you of the morally (and oftentimes physically) dangerous path your lifestyle is taking - they just give you the tools to do as you desire…

Yes, everyone has a right to their opinion. As for me, I trust in Jesus.

I love the author’s final remarks:

*I’ve crossed paths with many ordained clergy and, for the most part, I’ve found most of them to be trustworthy people — not perfect by any means, but on the whole, good people.

Let’s just say this: If I were near death in a hospital bed, I’d much rather have my pastor there than my representative in Congress.

Oh, I’d like a nurse there, too.*

As a victim of emotional and physical abuse by a Catholic sister, I fully appreciate the huge toll the scandal has taken on our beloved Church.

I do understand the impact that the scandals have had. It was atrocious and horrific to allow the guilty of our clergy to continue their absolutely evil acts against our children, particularly our young men.

However, I would be interested in knowing who was polled. If one asks those who are faithful churchgoers I believe you would get a far different response than from “the man on the street”.

Face it, if the Church was held in high esteem by most people the churches would be bursting at the seams! In our very secular country there is rampant skepticism of religion to start with and the scandal gave folks a reason to say, “I told you so!” and use it to justify their already present lack of faith. Many of them don’t know any clergy and have no way of judging for themselves and seeing that the vast majority of clergy are good, devout men who hate what happened as much as we do. (If not more!)

The majority of devout and faithful Catholics who attend weekly (and I realize there is a significant number of these who also lost faith) are much more likely to differentiate between the Church instituted by Christ and the evil people who committed those terrible acts. They know their parish priests and generally trust them on an individual basis. While taking a poll of these people would still show an understandable drop in trust, I feel it would not be near the number found in the Gallop Poll.

As time goes on and people see the Church responding strongly to the crisis, many will slowly regain their faith and their trust. It will take a long time to heal the awful wounds these crimes have inflicted, but it will happen.

In the meantime, we need to remember to place our trust in GOD, not the fallible, and imperfect people He works through.

“God, we pray for victims of sexual abuse. We pray for healing. We pray for deep comfort. We pray that you will restore what has been stolen and broken. While you do not alter history, you reveal your love in the present and the future. What seems hopelessly shattered, in you can be redeemed. For the many millions who have been defiled in sexual abuse, show yourself to be loving and able – as you are willing – to give back life, and life abundant. Yes, there is great pain in this world. There is injustice. There is evil. We turn to you and cry out for help and healing. We cannot help but wonder why such horrible abuse happens. But we turn from “why?” and ask instead, “how?” How now will your perfect goodness and love find expression in the shadow of wickedness? God, you are good and loving and also all powerful. Yet you have risked giving humans the right to choose how we will live. Some choose evil. For those who are victims of other’s vile deeds, we ask you for grace and healing. For those who have suffered, come to them tenderly and with overwhelming and powerful love. We join Jesus’ and borrow his words, “Be freed from your suffering…” God, Heal the victims of sexual abuse, in Jesus name.”

Read more: beliefnet.com/columnists/prayerplainandsimple/2011/07/a-prayer-for-victims-of-sexual-abuse.html#ixzz2xZ1l8oYM

I’ve attended Mass with my Catholic wife and son for many years and I know our parish priest pretty well. He’s not above stretching the truth to make a point. He’s less than forthright about how money is spent, too. So, yeah, I don’t consider him trustworthy. I’ve known other Catholic (and Episcopalian) priests who seem more trustworthy, however, so I guess it just depends on the individual.

After my experiences, I don’t trust any minister. Even my own.

OT here, Cheese, but your “misinformed UU” identification caught my attention.

If it’s not too personal, can you expound. I have a family member who is a UU minister and though I dont know much about UU, I am curious as to the “misinformed” part simply because I thought the UU’s were very flexible when it comes to beliefs?

Im sincerely curious if you care to share? :slight_smile:

I really think it is because of the sex abuse scandals. Most clergy are absolutely wonderful people. However, the general population have been deeply affected by the abuses that happened. My own sister was a victim and has never been a practicing Catholic as an adult.

The “misinformed” is kinda of a tongue in cheek homage to people on this forum who go on and on about being “an informed Catholic”. At the time (about a year ago), I think I had just read a particularly pompous post pontificating about “uninformed Catholics” in the realm of birth control.

It struck me as funny to say that I’m a misinformed UU because it trades on the stereotype of hippy dippy tree hugging peaceniks that many people have of the UU. I am not a hippy, nor am I dippy, nor am I a peacenik. lol

The UUA is very flexible, which is one reason I ended up there. I finally officially joined after attending services for 5 years.

As for not trusting my minister, one of the refreshing things about the UCBR (Unitarian Church of Baton Rouge) is that we are not asked to “trust the minister”. Everything is very transparent.

Ahh!! Ok that makes more sense. My cousin who is the minister is one of my most favorite people. :smiley: She has been particular helpful to me these past few months when dealing with my step-father’s death. Love her dearly and very very easy to talk with cause there is no need to censor my thoughts or feelings thru any prism. I can just be and say. So nonjugdemental. :thumbsup:

Yes one of the things I respect about the UU is that a person can be where ever they are at spiritually and there is no shame in that. One cant grown if they cant be accepting of where they are at.

God Bless!

Good Evening Cheese: I am a tree hugging hippy dippy peace loving Catholic. Vegetarian too.

Thanks,
Gary

Good Evening Cheese: I am a tree hugging hippy dippy peace loving Catholic. Vegetarian too.

Then, might I suggest the UUA? :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.