More teens are using rhythm method for birth control

jerseyshore.momslikeme.com/members/JournalActions.aspx?g=1913887&m=12208882&grpcat=Motherhood&appref=slider

I saw posted in another thread but can't find it.

This is in response to a recent study but it is all over the news and internet so I thought I'd post it again."This report may explain why the teen pregnancy rate is no longer dropping."

I think it is just another way to trash Catholics because these teens probably know very little about their fertility but the media is picking this story up big time and wants everyone to believe that NFP doesn't work and the result of this "rhythm method" is an increase in teen pregnancy.:mad:

But the increase is considered worrisome because the rhythm method doesn't work about 25 percent of the time, said Joyce Abma, the report's lead author. She's a social scientist at the CDC's National Center for Health Statistics.

The rhythm method, also called the calendar method or the calendar rhythm method, works by abstaining from sexual intercourse on the days of the woman's menstrual cycle — around ovulation — when she could become pregnant.

Although estimates vary, an estimated 13 to 25 out of 100 women practicing the rhythm method for birth control for one year will get pregnant, according to the Mayo Clinic.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,593887,00.html

I don't see how a lot of teens could actually follow the rhythm method properly, so they're probably doing it wrong. Even if they're doing it right, they're foolish enough to try using it outside of a marriage and wanting children at some point. I don't really get NFP at all, but it seems obvious that only a committed, married couple accepting (and wishing) that they will have children sooner or later, and able to abstain on fertile days, could use this method.

Plus obviously these teens would be very likely to catch STDs too.

Well, if they're specifically using the rhythm method, and the article did also call it "calender rhythm", then I'm not surprised. I think the actual "failure rate" (hate to call a baby a "failure") for the rhythm method is b/t 15 and 25%. It would probably be higher for a teenager, as their cycles are more likely less regular.

The Catholic Church approves NFP, which is NOT the rhythm method (although some people apparently don't know this-hence the # of threads here where someone insists "NFP won't work for me b/c my cycles are irregular"), so I'm not sure the article was deliberately trying to bash the Catholic Church.

In Christ,

Ellen

I'm surprised that anyone believes a teenager when they self-report their birth control practices.

I'd bet that they said "rhythm method" because they didn't want to admit that they weren't using any BC!

Just like I don't believe any teenage girl who gets pregnant because "the condom broke." Yeah, right.

Um…that does happen sometimes.

Well, I’d bet that a lot of kids use it as an excuse though. I personally know someone who got pregnant at 16 and swore up and down that’s what happened. It wasn’t until we were adults that she admitted that she & her boyfriend were not using BC at all, but she was embarrassed to admit it at the time. Teenagers are notorious for the “It’ll never happen to me” mindset, and they take a lot of risks.

I am not trying to mock anyone who got PG while actually using BC.

I have to wonder about the accuracy of the statistic too and how much the teens actually know about fertility awareness and “rhythm method”. I think a lot of people who use no method at all but simply desire to not get pregnant report that they are using the rhythm method. With all of the misconceptions teens have about birth control and basic biology it wouldn’t surprise me at all.

originally** posted by StJudePray4Me**
I'm surprised that anyone believes a teenager when they self-report their birth control practices.

originally posted by KostyaJMJ
I have to wonder about the accuracy of the statistic too and how much the teens actually know about fertility awareness and "rhythm method". I think a lot of people who use no method at all but simply desire to not get pregnant report that they are using the rhythm method.

Good observations so why did this study(report in out of Atlanta,GA so it looks like a National study?) of teens take place and the media do a full blown take so all the world can hear it. To me it is just so Planned Parenthood and the pill pharmaceutical companies can say. "See I told you, rhythm ( NFP and abstinence education)is not effective!!!!!!"

"The survey results were based on face-to-face interviews with nearly 2,800 teens ages 15 through 19 at their homes in the years 2006 through 2008. Trained female interviewers asked the questions."

"It found that about 42 percent of never-married teens had had sex at least once in their life. Of those teens, 98 percent said they'd used birth control at least once, with condoms being the most common choice."

As somebody who has been through the fertility nightmare, I can attest that a woman's fertile time is not an exact science. And that the "boys" can live up to 5 days in the cervix. SOOOOO...these kids are simply timing their activities around what they believe to be "non-fertile" times (according to the article that I read online). well, I'm sure that many will find out that they don't really have a CLUE about when you are fertile. Not that I'm wishing any harm on them, but this simply sounds to me like irresponsible kids trying to sound like they're doing the right thing. Lord help them! twk

one more thing- I think that this article is just another argument FOR teaching abstinence in public schools (along with their "family planning" teaching)...

[quote="twk001, post:9, topic:200624"]
As somebody who has been through the fertility nightmare, I can attest that a woman's fertile time is not an exact science.** And that the "boys" can ***live up to 5 days in the cervix*. SOOOOO...these kids are simply timing their activities around what they believe to be "non-fertile" times (according to the article that I read online). well, I'm sure that many will find out that they don't really have a CLUE about when you are fertile. Not that I'm wishing any harm on them, but this simply sounds to me like irresponsible kids trying to sound like they're doing the right thing. Lord help them! twk

[/quote]

The baby I'm carrying now is the result my dh's "boys" living 8 days! Very rare, but apparently it does happen. (told dh that after this one's born, no more phase 1 sex until menopause!).

In Christ,

Ellen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.