More Than 1 Million in Obamacare to Lose Plans as Insurers Quit

A growing number of people in Obamacare are finding out their health insurance plans will disappear from the program next year, forcing them to find new coverage even as options shrink and prices rise.

At least 1.4 million people in 32 states will lose the Obamacare plan they have now, according to state officials contacted by Bloomberg. That’s largely caused by Aetna Inc., UnitedHealth Group Inc. and some state or regional insurers quitting the law’s markets for individual coverage.

Sign-ups for Obamacare coverage begin next month. Fallout from the quitting insurers has emerged as the latest threat to the law, which is also a major focal point in the U.S. presidential election. While it’s not clear what all the consequences of the departing insurers will be, interviews with regulators and insurance customers suggest that plans will be fewer and more expensive, and may not include the same doctors and hospitals.

It may also mean that instead of growing in 2017, Obamacare could shrink. As of March 31, the law covered 11.1 million people; an Oct. 13 S&P Global Ratings report predicted that enrollment next year will range from an 8 percent decline to a 4 percent gain.

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-14/more-than-1-million-in-obamacare-to-lose-plans-as-insurers-quit

I’ve been notified. My insurer is dropping my health care program. This is the second time this has occurred. I’ll undoubtably be paying higher health insurance with any new plan.

When the new health care program began I was paying around $100 a month. Now I’m paying around $500 a month. Who knows what I’ll be paying with a new insurance plan. This is ridiculous.

In the Minnesota governor thread, where the governor mentioned the ACA was becoming un-affordable I posted the below article. It is written by one of the crafters of Obamacare. If wanting to help make health care more affordable this is an idea that can help. It was something I was already familiar with. Costly annual health check ups have not been found to extend or improve lives and should be skipped.

“Skip Your Annual Physical”

nytimes.com/2015/01/09/opinion/skip-your-annual-physical.html?_r=0

It is often written that the most costly area of our health care system is handling the terminally ill. End of life in a hospital setting run up costs greatly. Netflix this month is running a program on this dilemma. It is possible to extend life with modern resuscitators and feeding tubes, but some would call what is being done torture.

it is often written that doctors, having worked in the system, die different. Instead of passing in a hospital hooked up to machines, doctors tend to pass in the comfort of home. Here is one article on that:

“Knowing How Doctors Die Can Change End-Of-Life Discussions”

npr.org/sections/health-shots/2015/07/06/413691959/knowing-how-doctors-die-can-change-end-of-life-discussions

excerpt:

Dr. Kendra Fleagle Gorlitsky recalls the anguish she felt performing CPR on elderly, terminally ill patients.

It looks nothing like what we see on TV. In real life, ribs often break and few survive the ordeal.

“I felt like I was beating up people at the end of their life,” she says. “I would be doing the CPR with tears coming down sometimes, and saying, ‘I’m sorry, I’m sorry, goodbye.’ Because I knew that it very likely not going to be successful. It just seemed a terrible way to end someone’s life.”

Gorlitsky now teaches medicine at the University of Southern California and says these early clinical experiences have stayed with her.

Pain And Suffering At Life’s End Are Getting Worse, Not Better
SHOTS - HEALTH NEWS
Pain And Suffering At Life’s End Are Getting Worse, Not Better
Gorlitsky wants something different for herself and for her loved ones. And most other doctors do too: A Stanford University study shows almost 90 percent of doctors would forgo resuscitation and aggressive treatment if facing a terminal illness.

It was about 10 years ago, after a colleague had died swiftly and peacefully, that Dr. Ken Murray first noticed doctors die differently than the rest of us…

It is reasonably clear that the Affordable Care Act was designed to lead to a collapse in the insurance industry, thus enabling the government to declare a healthcare emergency and assume control of the medical industry. Even if not, that is precisely what it is causing.

It has to be intentional. I don’t know how anyone could look at that system and think it has -any- chance of succeeding.

Royally Grubered. It’s easy to see why they didn’t want the public to really know what this plan was all about.

can’t wait till next debate to hear portent issues discussed instead of current nonstop garbage talk on the news right now.

Yes, and I hope Trump brings up these WikiLeaks revealing the ‘revolution’ they have been trying to plant in the Catholic Church.

God Bless You

Thank you for reading
Josh

Has Obama apologized? Or is he still too upset what Trump said on tape a week ago to address this latest development in his beloved Obama care. Oh well, he will be gone in a few months, so it won’t be his problem anymore.

Things are going just as they planned with the continuing Obamcare failures and of course a President Hillary will just have to enact a single payer government system. That’s Democrats for you, they enact a law that is bound to fail and now another government program will be the answer. Just wait until people see the their tax bill for a single payer system - they will have 60 percent of their wages confiscated to pay for it. God help us - please!

But she couldn’t enact a single payer system on her own, could she? It would surely have to go through Congress and unless there gets to be a majority Democratic House (which is still very unlikely), and a majority Democratic Senate, single payer couldn’t pass.

They did that with education already. The result was higher tuition, lower test scores and more debt. Their solution is to spend even more money doing the same things and expect a different result.

If you took your car to a government mechanic because it would not run on $2 gas, the first thing they would want is to sell you the same gas for $4. Oh yeah, they really do want to run energy policy the same way too. Sadly, a near majority will vote for anything they propose as long as they promise a few handouts.

God help us indeed.

You are right she would need the Congress, but then again Obama himself attempted to pass new laws on his own so I wouldn’t dismiss Hillary attempting the same type of shenanigans. You have heard the phrase: “If Congress won’t act, I will” before, right? But if the Dems took control you can bet that it would happen for sure. Face it, there would probably be some Repubs who would go for it this time, you know, to just get along.

Obama has his name on this legislation, but is ignoring the failures built into the program.

The American people need to become more aware of how this is impacting them.

You can’t make a “single payer omelet” without breaking a few eggs. Obamacare is working as intended.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.