More wedding cakes

I know this topic has been beaten to death and I have read a lot on it, but I wanted to bring up a point about baking a cake for a gay so called wedding.

I have heard someone respond what if you owned a bakery and an obese person came in to buy a cake. The person said he does not have a thyroid problem, he is obese because he loves sugar. And he says he wants a cake to eat as a snack later in the day. Would selling him a cake condone the sin of gluttony?

How would you respond to that line of thought?

You are overthinking it. Then you should be charged as an accessory for murder or man slaughter because the person will die of diabetes and you helped by selling him the cake. Just the same how are you at fault for selling a cake for a gay wedding?

Direct complicity of what one believes is a sinful and “false” arrangement like a gay “marriage” is not going to have the gray area of whether or not someone is eating too much. All the same, if the business owner wanted to refuse the obese person for some religious gluttony view (which, like I said, is hard to quantify), they should be able to refuse him similar to how a tavern can make a judgment call and refuse to serve alcohol to a given customer, even if that customer insists he is perfectly sober. If I’m not mistaken, the whole civil rights law on refusing customers can be suspended in the event one feels the customer will either be disruptive or prone to physical harm.

I personally don’t believe that simply selling a wedding cake is cooperating in whatever the person intends to do with that cake. However, wedding cakes are often a little more complicated than simply buying one from a bakery. Often, the cake maker is designing a specific cake that celebrates the couple and even attend the reception in order to correctly assemble, disassemble, and distribute the cake. That’s a little different, because it requires attending the event.

It does look like you would be contributing to his ill health and possible early death, so yes, it would be wrong. If it were to cause the obese individual to die on the spot, I guess it would be seriously wrong. But if it were something that the obese person could work off later on if he wanted to and would not affect him right away, then I personally do not think that selling him a cake would be a grave sin. All this is IMHO only.

No cake is part of any gay “wedding” that I have ever heard of. It is part of the reception (party) following the wedding.

Can a priest or organist refuse to participate in a “gay wedding?” I think this is clearly the case, and is firmly supported in US law. But, can a caterer refuse to cater the reception (party) following a gay “wedding?”

That is a whole nuther question.

I think it always best to avoid opinions and focus on moral theology principles. The principles here being “cooperation with evil.”

It is certainly **not **formal cooperation.

This chart from the archdiocese of Philly is a simplified overview. There are numerous websites and books that delve more deeply into the subject.

archphila.org/HHS/pdf/CoopEvilChart.pdf

Thank you, that helps! I will have to study the chart more when I have time. Thanks for the info.

Hmmm…good point!!!
The wedding is not part of the ceremony!!

Distinction without a difference. It remains offensive to some people in good faith to celebrate whet they perceive to be a false and/or immoral arrangement. The reception still celebrates the “wedding”.

^^This

Like a bartender, he should be able to say “sorry, buddy, you’ve had too much!” Why should we limit the bartender’s or the cakemaker’s discretion?

Hmm, I hadn’t thought of the bartender example. That is good food for thought (no pun intended).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.