More young women choosing health over birth control

Rome, Italy, Apr 8, 2014 / 02:01 am (CNA/EWTN News).- Brianna Heldt was 20 years-old when she first started taking the birth control pill. As an Evangelical Protestant, she believed in saving sex for marriage, but the young college student was planning her wedding and wanted to delay having children for a few years.

Like many young women, Heldt visited her college’s campus health clinic and got a prescription.

What followed was an unexpected and “horribly difficult” time for Heldt and her husband.

catholicnewsagency.com/news/more-young-women-choosing-health-over-birth-control

Check any scientific publication on the pill - it has a very long list of side effects: positive and negative, which is why I don’t think that reference to side effects is a good basis for arguing the moral case against it. If a person chooses to take any medication daily, especially if that person is well-educated and can look up the necessary info, it is up to them to accept or reject the potential for side effects, whatever their nature.

Besides, in arguing benefits vs harm, all the proponents of ABCs do is calculate the lives lost from pregnancy complications (in some parts of the world that is relatively very high) and point to the lives saved from decreasing the number of pregnancies. It’s an argument they can win in their sleep and has nothing to do with whether it is moral or not to use ABCs.

Teenage acne problems ,doctors quick fix method …first option offered contraceptive medicine.Killing two birds with the one stone?
I had two successive Doctors push contraceptive medication at my desperate teen daughter
when we went for help a few years back.( we had success with face wash and penicillin )
Daughter “Oh but’ so and so’ had really bad skin, got the medication and has got perfect skin now!”. I was trying to find info of the dangers interfering with the body through using
contraceptives.

It seems a very common practice promoting contraceptive medication to control

teenage acne -:eek: scary .

Indeed. Its a wonder that these “pro-life” activists tolerate any modern medicine.

I think women should at the very least learn how to chart their own cycle and do so for some time, as it may help with finding and addressing a hormonal problem from the get-go instead of later on.

The problem with the pill is that it is so part of society that women don’t understand it’s dangers. I was on it for a short while due to medical reasons and it made me depressed, a ravaging witch (please add a b in front of this word), bad tempered and at one point even suicidal. (That ended when I decided to ignore doctor’s advise and went off the medication. It took my body months to recover.)

These symptoms aren’t discussed and women are encouraged to put up with them instead of realizing the hormone therapy can really do a number on their body. If someone wants to treat acne there are other safer methods including eating a gluten free. (I eat it because I have celiac) but what was great was when I changed my diet, my acne disappeared as well.

We need to educate women about the dangers because the pharmaceutical industry is grossing billions a year just on this drug alone.

I never was on the pill, so I don’t know about any personal side-effects. I know women react to it differently. What I do know is that when I began charting, we uncovered that my thyroid was under-producing. I have more energy now and don’t feel exhausted all the time.

Brianna Heldt: briannaheldt.com/#sthash.Kexw8jiv.dpbs

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.