Mormon and Vatican YouTube Channels

Mormon and Vatican YouTube channels: How do you compare and rate each?

P.S. I am not comparing the two churches; I am comparing the two channels! :slight_smile:

Zerinus, thanks for posting this, I wasn’t even aware of a Vatican Youtube channel! :wink:

And I think this is one of the main issues. Mormon Messages is much more advertised by the LDS Church, and in general, I think that the LDS Church takes advantage of internet media resources such as Youtube and Facebook to a higher degree than the Catholic Church.

A quick glance of the Vatican page shows that they are recordings of various homilies, news events, and liturgies, whereas Mormon Messages has more videos that are…“commercial” like (can’t think of a good word, but I hope you understand what I’m saying. some are actual commercials as well), overviewing various concepts, as well as speeches by various authorities as well.

I agree with most of your observations, except that “commercial” isn’t exactly the right word to describe it. LDS videos are geared towards improving the lives and morals of the people; whereas the Vatican videos are merely reproductions of formal and official events. The Mormon videos are actually “visualizations” or “dramatizations” added on top of sermons and conference talks given by the General Authorities of the Church to give them a visual impact. They are not unique creations for the channel. The LDS Church has also added the channel to the home page of its official website.

They look almost the same to me though I’d give credit for the Vatican’s channel to show the nice ancient statues and buildings of St. Peter’s Square. It’s a nice reminder of how old our Church is. :thumbsup:

I like the videos a little bit more too. The Mormon channel strikes me more of something I’d see on a self-help religious channel. I’m more of a current events type of person so I like the Vatican’s news report style of formality.

Ah! But the spires of the Mormon temple pointing upwards to heaven suggest the divine origin of the Church from heaven; and its open channel of communication by revelation with heaven! :slight_smile:

I like the videos a little bit more too. The Mormon channel strikes me more of something I’d see on a self-help religious channel. I’m more of a current events type of person so I like the Vatican’s news report style of formality.

As I said above, the Mormon videos are based on sermons and conference addresses given by the General Authorities of the Church; and they are geared towards improving the moral values and standards of Church members, and building up their faith. The LDS Church is very much into teaching, preaching, and sermonizing. That has to a large extent gone out of fashion with most churches in our time. The LDS Church is a bit of an exception in that. The 179th Semiannual General Conference of the Church will be held next weekend, which will consist of two days marathon teaching and preaching by the leadership of the Church. The videos are based on, or adapted from, those kinds of addresses.

What does that say then about the angel moroni being struck by lightning at a recent temple opening?

sltrib.com/lds/ci_12595131

The line is busy?

God has caller ID?

Neither. That was just God adding His own symbolic representation of revelation from heaven! :slight_smile:

Yeah I’m sure the contents of both channels are as nice but I’m referring to the format of the videos. Like I said, I’m a current events type of person, not a self-help dude. Thus, I’m just saying that the Vatican looks more official because of how the videos sound like news reports (and probably are). I also like seeing the Pope’s dealings with international leaders (we are a big world after all and I’m sure there’s a lot going on that the Vatican is concerned about).

The Catholic site is good too. I was not criticizing the Catholic site. I was basically agreeing with you that they are very different. The LDS site is designed to make you a better person, and a more faithful Christian. The Lord said, “If ye love me, keep my commandments” (John 14:15). He also told Peter, “Feed my sheep” (John 21:16,17). Everything that the LDS Church does is geared towards “feeding the sheep,” which means encouraging them to keep the commandments of God, which makes them a better people. “Self-help” isn’t exactly the right way to describe it.

The LDS Church has a “news” site too; but it is more text based rather than video based. You can look at it here.

One promotes the Truth of Jesus.

One promotes the delusions and lies of a proven pedophile.

The Lord’s answer to that was:

D&C 122:

1 The ends of the earth shall inquire after thy name, and fools shall have thee in derision, and hell shall rage against thee;

2 While the pure in heart, and the wise, and the noble, and the virtuous, shall seek counsel, and authority, and blessings constantly from under thy hand.

That prophecy has constantly been fulfilled to this day.

D&C has nothing to do with the Lord’s answer.

Joseph Smith was a delusional liar who used his power to gain sex and money.

The D&C is a book of scripture, and revelation from the Lord.

Joseph Smith was a delusional liar who used his power to gain sex and money.

Joseph Smith was a great prephet, and one of the Lord’s great men.

You need to do a little research.

Nothing I can post will change your mind, but the Truth is out there if you seek it.

The truth is indeed out there, and I have found it! :slight_smile:

There are also a lot of lies out there; make sure you don’t mix up the truth with the lies!

Joseph Smith was a liar who impregnated multiple women and who fabricated elaborate stories regarding forged artifacts.

Do you deny this?

Joseph Smith was a mighty prophet of the Lord, like Moses, and stands at the head of the greatest dispensation of all time—the dispensation of all times.

Do you deny this?

Absolutely.

Information about the wives and children of Joseph Smith:

wivesofjosephsmith.org/DNA.htm

Proof that Joseph Smith lied when he claimed to be able to read this fabricated artifact:

utlm.org/onlineresources/josephsmithkinderhookplates.htm

An excerpt from the lying fraud:

“I have translated a portion of them and find they contain the history of the person with whom they were found. He was a descendant of Ham, through the loins of Pharaoh, king of Egypt, and that he received his kingdom from the Ruler of heaven and earth.”

I didn’t even bother to look. You think I didn’t know about this kind of garbage? Did you know how much trash of that kind you can find about the Catholic Church if you wanted to look for them? Isaiah said it right: “Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter” (Isaiah 5:20).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.