Mormon Bishops - an exclusive club?

First: I recently heard that a prerequisite for holding the office of Bishop in the LDS Church is that a person must hold a doctorate degree and/or be financially well off. Is this true?

Second: We have a family friend that is a 17 year old boy - and he recently was interviewed by his Bishop to determine if he was worthy to enter the temple. Since he is not paying his tithe, he was deemed “unworthy” to enter the temple. That’s an unfortunate way to put a label on someone. Is it the norm for the LDS Church to call someone “unworthy” for not paying a tithe. (Also - the 17 year old boy was using the term “paying a tithe” - that sounds different that giving a tithe - is that the proper way to phrase that activity?)

No. That is not true. Some LDS bishops are not even that well versed in their faith.

Yes. If you do not pay your tithe you are considered unworthy.

No, one does not have to hold any educational degree to be a bishop. I had a bishop who was a mailman by profession.

In order to obtain a TR to enter the temple there are several things a person must meet and yes being a full tithe payer is one. Living the WoW is another. Keeping the law of chasity etc etc etc…

It is known as “paying a tithe” in the LDS church.

What is a TR?:shrug:

Temple recommend…basically the pass to get you into the temple. You have to have an interview where they ask you a series of questions including if you pay tithing (10% of income).

While I was Mormon we had two bishops (if I remember rightly they hold office for 4years)…both were well off but I think this was a coincidence. I’m not sure if its a requirement…:shrug:

Here you go…lds4u.com/lesson5/templequestions.htm

Thank you.

Financial well being is not a requirement to be an LDS bishop. Since LDS congretations (wards) are geographically-based, if a ward is in a middle to upper middle class area, the bishop will likely be middle or upper middle class. Likewise, if the ward is in a poor area, the bishop will likely be just as poor as the church members in his congregation.

Thanks. It didn’t sound right to me.

Yes. If you do not pay your tithe you are considered unworthy.

That seems to go against the friendly image that is often projected.

Good to know!

In order to obtain a TR to enter the temple there are several things a person must meet and yes being a full tithe payer is one. Living the WoW is another. Keeping the law of chasity etc etc etc…

It is known as “paying a tithe” in the LDS church.

Now that I see more about how this works, it really is a payment. **Giving **is what is done **voluntarily **and without condition. A **payment **is what is **exchanged **for something else, in this case, a “TR”.

Yup.

I’ve been reading my CAF forums lately to hear what Catholics think about tithing.

How come the Catholic Answers Forum staff use the phrase “obligatory” when talking about the Catholic church’s position on tithing? Can one be obliged to do something that is totally voluntary?

What is astounding to me is not that one would be proclaimed unworthy, but that some would actually claim to be worthy. If we were worthy none of us would have a need for salvation. I don’t go to my Church because I am worthy. I go because I am not. And neither is any other human being on the planet.

The fact that they bring money into the issue is really secondary to me. Appalling, yes, but secondary to the premise on which it is based.

in answer to the OP, there is no requirement that I ever heard or read the bishops be affluent.

Most have been, in my experience, but that might just be coincidental.

Now, in regard to “apostles”, it seems you must be an affluent white man with some ties to early mormonism to be an apostle. The lds god only calls those type of folks.

Having said that, most of the men in lds leadership positions have been good and decent men that you would be proud to call friend. One of my best friends is a former lds bishop.

Something that you will not see if someone checking their tithing status before they receive the sacraments. Not even will this be checked before they are ordained to the diaconate, priesthood, to becoming a bishop, (I will also suspect that they do not check this prior to handing over the keys to a newly elected pope.)

You will also not see a person being labeled as “unworthy” for choosing to forego fulfilling their Christian obligations.

No payment required.

As a member of the Body of Christ, we have obligations to sanctify. Our presence at Sunday Mass sanctifies the holy day of the week, for example. We are obligated to participate in order to sanctify the day.

Regarding the qualifications to enter the temple, in LDS-speak “worthy” means you’re keeping enough of the commandments, as opposed to “perfection” which means never sinning. Perfection is not a requirement for admittance to the temple, but there are certain expectations.

Let’s not forget the tithing settlement meeting held every year with the members of the ward.

They go over everyone’s financial “gift” to see if it falls into the 10%+ category.

The most a Catholic gets is a statement they can use for a tax deduction. No muss, no fuss.

That also means you have bishops asking young children and adolescent children about their masturbation habits, without a parent or guardian in the room.

We do? I’ve been attending tithing settlement yearly for going on 15 years now. Nobody has ever done such a thing with me. The bishop asks “are you a full tithe payer”, and I give an answer. It’s been a one-word answer - Yes.

What on earth are you talking about, twopekinguys? What ‘going over’ do you think happens? And why has it never happened to me?

The most a Catholic gets is a statement they can use for a tax deduction. No muss, no fuss.

That’s what I’ve gotten too.

Yes, LDS bishops do ask that very question. Asking if you pay a “full tithe” is asking if you paid 10% of your income to the LDS church. The bishop always gave me a piece of paper with details regarding the tithes and offerings paid during the calendar year. He then always asked if that is a full tithe. Full tithe = 10%

I have never experienced a bishop demanding to see my tax returns to verify that I was telling the truth. However, LDS bishops most definitely ask if the member pays 10% of his or her income to the church. He just happens to use the words “full tithe” where “full tithe” equals 10%. So in your ward, does 5% or 9% count as a full tithe? If so, I’ll tell my family to move into your ward.

Twopekinguys knows exactly what he is talking about and is being truthful. Sorry but handing someone a piece of paper and verifying it’s accuracy and questioning if it is a full tithe is “going over” financial contributions. I am a CPA and that is exactly what I do when I “go over” and verify numbers with a client. Maybe your ward clerk never bothered to print your statement for tithing settlement, but I have been getting those statements at tithing settlement since I was 8 years old. Reagan was president then so it’s been a while.

Here’s part of the text below. It is very clear and in keeping with the bible when Jesus says to give to Ceasar what is Ceasar’s and to God what is God’s (singular). This is an obligation of those who are able to do so.

*Although the Church teaches that offering **some form of material support *to the Church is obligatory for all Catholic adults who are able to do so, it doesn’t specify what percent of one’s income should be given. Remember, tithing was an Old Testament obligation that was incumbent on the Jews under the Law of Moses. Christians are dispensed from the obligation of tithing ten percent of their incomes, but not from the obligation to help the Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.