Mormon confession

I know that in your church that you have to answer a list of questions. What happens to you if you lie about those questions? As in having a family and not taking care of them? Providing for them? If you get caught, what happens?

Just curious about this.

Sorry, I have no experience with this one.

My theory is that, at a minimum, they would ask for your Recommend to be returned. If it was a matter of serious sin, then there might be a disciplinary council convened to consider disfellowship, and possibly exing. I have no idea what they would do in the example given, but the response would likely vary greatly from bishop to bishop.

Still, just to be clear, there is no analog in the mormon church to the process used in the RCC for “Confession”. There are interviews done annually for renewing ones recommend, and prior to being issued a calling, but no formal confessional interview.

Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful.

So, it is not analogous to confession, forgiveness of sin is not involved, it is just to determine if you are living your life in a worhty enough manner to merit temple participation?

How strong are teachings about forgiveness of sin? Is there a distinction between consciously deciding to turn away from virtuous behavior, and behavior that may be considered wrong, but is more due to psychological problems?? In other words, is there a continuum of guilt or culpability?

[quote=Jerusha]So, it is not analogous to confession, forgiveness of sin is not involved, it is just to determine if you are living your life in a worhty enough manner to merit temple participation?

How strong are teachings about forgiveness of sin? Is there a distinction between consciously deciding to turn away from virtuous behavior, and behavior that may be considered wrong, but is more due to psychological problems?? In other words, is there a continuum of guilt or culpability?
[/quote]

You are right, the list of questions is just to determine temple worthiness. You are interviewed by your Bishop and the Stake President and then if you say(some may lie) you are doing the things that make you worthy to enter the Temple you are given a recommend(like a license) It is good for one year and has to be renewed every year.

The teachings are continuous about forgiveness and the atonement. Each Sunday we take the Sacrament to remind us of the sacrifice Jesus made for us, and if we are sinning we should not take the sacrament. Some people are more thoughtful and serious about taking the Sacrament than others, but it is a renewal of the covenant of baptism, and therefore partaking means you are recommitting to following the commandments of God.

If you commit a very serious sin, as adultry, abortion, etc.  You are supposed to go to your Bishop and confess, then you may be called before a Bishop's court and disfellowshipped for a year, or if you have no remorse and have not repented sufficiently, or if you hold a high office, etc(it depends on your knowledge of what you did and the extent of the sin)you are excommunicated from the church.  If at a later date you repent and make ammends for your sin, you may ask for rebaptism and come back to the church, and work your way back to Temple recommend etc.  Excommunication is finalized by the Prophet.  

Many people just leave the church rather than go through the process, because they do not have faith and do not care about the steps of repentance. Unless they confess, nothing happens to them, they just go on their merry way, but they will not escape the judgement day. So when someone sins very seriously and continues to sin without repentence, they are not really escaping punishment. It is just in this life they are escaping, God will judge them more harshly in the future.
My own ex-husband did not pay child support for the 20 years I was raising our 6 children alone. In this last few years he has had a temple recommend and I have wondered, but I did not say anything to report him. It is between him and God. I am not his judge. It was difficult to forgive him for some things, and I was bitter, but after a lot of prayer and asking God to help me forgive, I finally was able to let it go. I realized that some of the sins I had committed were very serious also, and I would be heartbroken if I were not forgiven. It gave me peace after all those years of anger. Everyone can be forgiven if they repent, and that is the secret. Many do not and will not repent, they continue to commit the sin without remorse, and unless they come to Jesus Christ with a broken heart and contrite spirit, He cannot forgive. They have to ask for forgiveness.
Of course mental capabilities enter into the decision of whether to excommunicate or disfellowship. Also, marital situations, such as split religions contribute, each case is individual and judged according to the circumstances. Hope this answers the question somewhat…BJ

Yes, Thanks to all who replied

I have to say that maybe my intentions for asking were not necessarily pure. You reminded me of that. Although I am fianlly able to forgive, I dont feel allowing someone to continue to break the law is part of that.

I asked this question because my Ex Husband has a new family and owes $100K in cs and that is increasing at a rate of $2000 a month due to interest on arrearages. He has a a temple reccommend now for about 7 years.

I guess I was wondering what your church feels about these things.
Thanks for your honesty.

[quote=VeronicasJude]Yes, Thanks to all who replied

I have to say that maybe my intentions for asking were not necessarily pure. You reminded me of that. Although I am fianlly able to forgive, I dont feel allowing someone to continue to break the law is part of that.

I asked this question because my Ex Husband has a new family and owes $100K in cs and that is increasing at a rate of $2000 a month due to interest on arrearages. He has a a temple reccommend now for about 7 years.

I guess I was wondering what your church feels about these things.
Thanks for your honesty.
[/quote]

If you reported that to his Bishop or Stake President(you can write a letter) he would have some explaining to do and either pay or lose his recommend.
I didn’t report my husband, but I would if I were you, my children were all grown and I was remarried when he got his recommend. You are right that your ex needs to pay his obligations. One of the questions for a Temple recommend is “Are you current in child support and family obligations?” You go for it! Good Luck! BJ

Thank you BJ.

Do you know how I go about finding out who the bishop is? I live in NM and he is in Mesa Arizona. I tried looking online and I am confused with all of the stakes and wards and such.

I have thought about this on and off for quite a long time. On one hand, I dont want to cause harm to anyone else, God will provide but on the other hand, my DH has gone in debt raising my 3 older kids over the years becasue thier dad basically abandoned them and has worked under the table for years now so the state isnt doing anything. He and his wife have done many things illegally to hide money and take him off of all accounts. I am unable to work anymore do to many health issues. So my DH has taken on the full financial responsibilty for many years now.

I also wanted to add that my Husband is at risk for losing his job do to this. He holds a high security clearance that is being reevaluated right now and we are behind on our own obligations and medical bills. I pray that he does not.

I didnt want to do this, I wnated the state to handle things but they are not. Neither NM or AZ.

Hugs

[quote=VeronicasJude]Thank you BJ.

Do you know how I go about finding out who the bishop is? I live in NM and he is in Mesa Arizona. I tried looking online and I am confused with all of the stakes and wards and such.

I have thought about this on and off for quite a long time. On one hand, I dont want to cause harm to anyone else, God will provide but on the other hand, my DH has gone in debt raising my 3 older kids over the years becasue thier dad basically abandoned them and has worked under the table for years now so the state isnt doing anything. He and his wife have done many things illegally to hide money and take him off of all accounts. I am unable to work anymore do to many health issues. So my DH has taken on the full financial responsibilty for many years now.

I didnt want to do this, I wnated the state to handle things but they are not. Neither NM or AZ.

Hugs
[/quote]

If you have his zip code and address, you may go online, under Mormon.org, look under his zip and city, state, etc.as if you are looking for the local ward. That should bring up the local ward that he is in. It should also have a phone number and address, possibly the bishop’s name. When someone answers the phone all you have to know is his name and address and they can tell which ward he is in. Sunday morning is a good time to call about 8AM-10AM there is usually a clerk in the office that can look up the ward he is in, if you are calling the right stake.
Then at least you can tell his bishop, and although they can’t force him to pay, if he values his Temple recommend and his reputation, he will have to pay up to be able to regain his Temple recommend. So it should at least put some pressure on him.
Your story is so much like mine, I wish you all the luck and my prayers will be with you.
:thumbsup: BJ

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.