Mormon Easter video

The LDS church has an ad on tv (cable)for a video titled “Finding faith in Christ” and it is promoted as an Easter video. And the pictures are of Jesus healing the sick, raising the dead etc. The phrases in this ad sound traditional Christian. But Mormons do not believe Jesus the Christ is God, fully devine and fully human as traditional Christianity teaches, right? Therefore the traditional Easter story, is not part of their teachings, right? The first minute or so I thought it was a “Christian” group and then I got suspicious and sure enough it was id as a Mormon project. This smacks of misleading at the least. Why such a tactic?

[quote=MJE]The LDS church has an ad on tv (cable)for a video titled “Finding faith in Christ” and it is promoted as an Easter video. And the pictures are of Jesus healing the sick, raising the dead etc. The phrases in this ad sound traditional Christian. But Mormons do not believe Jesus the Christ is God, fully devine and fully human as traditional Christianity teaches, right? Therefore the traditional Easter story, is not part of their teachings, right? The first minute or so I thought it was a “Christian” group and then I got suspicious and sure enough it was id as a Mormon project. This smacks of misleading at the least. Why such a tactic?
[/quote]

First of all: Mormons believe that Jesus Christ is both fully Man and fully God. However they are not Trinitarian: Christ is a God, alongside of God the Father. He is one in purpose with God the Father, but distinct from the Father in terms of His Deity. He is the Second Person of the Godhead, not the Second Person of the Trinity. Only God the Father is to be worshipped, but Latter-Day Saints do believe that Jesus Christ was born of the Virgin Mary and lived a sinless life as our Example and Way-shower.

Secondly: the Easter Story is every bit as much a part of the LDS tradition as it is a part of the Catholic. The Mormons believe that Jesus Christ literally came in the flesh, that he preached His message to the multitudes, that He healed the sick, raised the dead, forgave people for their sins, etcetera.

Mormons place almost equal emphasis upon the events in the Garden of Gethsemane as they do upon the events of the Crucifixion. That is to say that Mormons believe that it was in the Garden of Gethsemane that Christ actually received the sins of the human race upon Himself. But they believe those sins were not atoned for until He actually shed His blood and died upon the Cross on the following day.

Mormons do not illustrate the Crucifixion in pictures or statuary nearly so often nor so vividly as Roman Catholics do–in fact, one is more likely to see paintings of Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane than upon the Cross in most LDS meetinghouses. Nonetheless, Mormons do believe that Christ died on the Cross and spent three days in the grave before rising again from the dead.

Hope this all helps!

There is so much more that is wrong with what they believe. Check out the catholic answers tracts on them.

From the LDS Library, a book entitled Gospel Principles, used to instruct 'Investigators’ (catechumens) about the LDS faith:

library.lds.org/nxt/gateway.dll/Curriculum/home%20and%20family.htm/true%20to%20the%20faith%20a%20gospel%20reference.htm?fn=default.htm$f=templates$3.0

[quote=cestusdei]There is so much more that is wrong with what they believe. Check out the catholic answers tracts on them.
[/quote]

With all due respect to Catholic Answers and the FANTASTIC job they normally do, the CA tract on Mormons is not completely accurate. It needs to be updated.

The FACT that it needs to be updated is evidence in my mind that the LDS Church is false. But, we need to be as honest as possible about the doctrines of non-Catholic groups to avoid the risk that non-Catholics would think that we are willing to stretch the truth when it suits us.

Flameburns, most LDS I know(and I know a lot) place more emphasis on the garden than the cross. Just my experience.

Kudos to Flameburns and Tmaque for posting correct information on LDS beliefs in this thread…. something rarely found on non-LDS discussion forums.

[quote=Tmaque]Flameburns, most LDS I know(and I know a lot) place more emphasis on the garden than the cross. Just my experience.
[/quote]

That’s probably true, although if you read through the sacrament hymns we sing every week there’s a lot a of emphasis put on the crucifixion itself too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.