Mormon FAQ!

Okay you guys, I have become absolutely sick to death of having to answer the same questions millions and millions of times! So I have created a “Mormon FAQ” Blog to post my answers to the most FAQs, to save me the trouble of having to answer them millions and millions of times! Click on my signature below to go to the site. I will add more material to it as time and occasion permits. Enjoy!

zerinus

Seems like a great idea, Z. Thanks.

I note that you’re only going to state your personal opinions at this blog, that they will not represent official LDS doctrine.

Since it has already been pointed out recently that there is a variance between your personal positions and those of the LDS church, do you think that your new blog will be very effective at educating we non-LDS people about Mormonism?

What I meant to say was that I was not acting as the official spoksman of the Church, not that my views do not conform to the official position of the Church. I believe that my views are according to the official position. I have revised that statement to avoid that misunderstanding.

zerinus

Sorry Z, but many of your views bear little resemblance to LDS teachings. The most glaring is your insistence on “sola scriptura”, completely negating the only remotely appealing thing about Mormonism - the idea of living prophets guiding the church. If your prophets are no more than glorified televangelists spouting their own opinions, then what good are they and why would you obey them? How is Gordon B. Hinkley any better than Jerry Falwell? Many of the things taught in LDS Sunday school manuals and priesthood quorum manuals are exclusive to latter-day prophets and are not found in scripture. Are these things just opinions and not inspired?
God bless you,
Paul

Yea, when at a loss, talk in vague generalizations. That is always a good cheap tactic, worthy of apostates and anti-Mormons.

zerinus

Ahhhhh. Zerinus. I was hoping that you could rise above your usual venom and act nice. All the guy wanted to know is if you were going to employ your usual flapdoodle or really start telling the truth about mormonism. sheeeesh.

Ha! Jerry Falwell has passed to his reward and Gordon B. Hinckley may well have Altzheimer’s, so I doubt that I would trust the “revelations” of either one of them.:smiley:

Zerinus doesn’t answer direct questions with direct answers, there’s a pattern that has been established. (He may or may not argue that fact, regardless, it doesn’t change the facts. The record is available for anyone to view.)

In his habit of not answering direct questions with direct answers, Zerinus may be an example of a typical “Mormon Missionary” since re-direction (or perhaps it would be more accurate to say MIS-direction) is actually part of their missionary training (Zerinus, I have quotes from returned missionaries, so I actually know something about what is taught at the MTC.)

So those of you who are posting here can ask in all earnestness. You will get the answer you get. Don’t expect too much.

Cheers! :smiley:

[quote=zerinus]The connection of this commandment to idolatry is too obvious to require detailed comment. Notice that it says, “Thou shalt have no other gods before me.” It doesn’t just say that “there are no other gods”. There is a difference between the two.
[/quote]

He just said don’t bring any of what-you-consider-your-gods into My Presence.

As He is supposed to, as He said, Abide in us and we in Him, then there cannot even be any thought, let alone a reality, of other gods rattling around in a persons head.

Yes?

Actually, I don’t think that is what He said. He just said, Don’t worship idols; or, Don’t worship false gods. Those are two different things.

zerinus

All other “gods” are false gods. The fact that they don’t exist except in the mind of the person who created and worships them is beside the point.

The pagans have many gods. Modern pagans are no different. They worship sex, cars, money, other people, themselves… you name it. Whatever is placed in priority ahead of Almighty God is a type of “god.”

Again, all we’re dealing with here is a misinterpretation of Scripture.

“Thou shalt have no other gods before me.”

Is what you said He said.

No other gods, false or no.

No, you are forcing it. You are reading something into it which is not there. The Contemporary English Version (CEV) translates it as: “Do not worship any god except me.” And the New International Reader’s Version (NIRV) translates it as: “Do not put any other gods in place of me.” The context of the KJV translation is: “Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any ***likeness ***** of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth *”. The second sentence clarifies the meaning of the first sentence. Deuteronomy adds the following additional context: “Ye shall not ***go after ****** other gods, of the gods of the people which are round about you”. The meaning is clear: it means, “Don’t worship idols, or false gods”. You have to stretch it quite a bit to get to mean what you are trying to say it means. If what you are saying is true, how come the Bible itself mentions other (legitimate) gods? For example, in Exodus 7:1 the Lord says to Moses: “See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet”. If what you are saying is true, this would be a blasphemous statement, which of course it is not.

zerinus

Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him Joseph Smith from the Mormon book, History of the Church Vol. 6, pp. 408-409
groups.msn.com/MORMONSWhatLatterDaySaintsBelieve

I quoted only what you said; “Thou shalt have no other gods before me.”

I am not sure that a god can be created, for that matter. As far as I can tell ‘God’ is representative of something that always was, not of something created.

Moses was told, perhaps, that in Pharaohs eyes Moses was a god because of what God worked through Moses, - not that Moses was now created equal to an omnipotent God.

Can you show me where “flapdoodle” is in the Bible? And is it classified as “work” or “faith”?

Thanks for replying; but to me it seems you are just closing your eyes to the truth. It is impossible to argue against that.

zerinus

You looked that up in the wrong Bible. You need to look it up in the monkey Bible to find that!

zerinus :smiley:

I bolded the significant words in Zerinus’ post above.

Again, what we’re looking at is a distortion of Scripture in order to fit a heterodox religion. Once Jr. started in on the plural gods theory (which wasn’t anything particularly innovative, now was it?) then the Mormon thinkers had to go back and squeeze Scripture to make it so.

A clever person can bend and twist Scripture to make it seem to support just about any strange religion. The proof of this is found in all the strange sects and cults in the world today that use the Bible, or rather, twisted interpretations of the Bible, to support their religions.

The Catholic faith doesn’t depend on any one man, or even a small group of men, to interpret Scripture. It relies on a comprehensive view of Scripture, and two millenia of Tradition which insures proper interpretations, which lead to true doctrines.

Here is a FAQ that I see around here: If having a body is required to be deified, just as LDS say the Father has, why doesnt the Holy Spirit have a body?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.