Mormon First Presidency member addresses Vatican assembly on 18 November

I just heard about this thing and was a bit excited:

Humanum - An International Interreligious Colloquium on The Complementarity of Man and Woman

Pope Francis and Cardinal Müller will be speaking. I’m excited because Mormon Apostle Henry B. Eyring, 1st Counselor in the First Presidency, will also be speaking.

I’m a little rusty on my Catholic Congregations and Councils, can someone help me understand who these folks are?

The Colloquium is sponsored by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and co-sponsored by the Pontifical Council for the Family, the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue, and
the Pontifical Council for the Promotion of Christian Unity.

Thanks!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congregation_for_the_Doctrine_of_the_Faith
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontifical_Council_for_the_Family
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontifical_Council_for_Interreligious_Dialogue
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontifical_Council_for_Promoting_Christian_Unity

Oh cool - thanks RebeccaJ. I’m sometimes hesitant to go to Wiki to learn about stuff unless someone more familiar with things directs me there.

You’re welcome.

The “External Links” on the wiki pages link to official pages. It looks like Elder Eyring is speaking during the “Pontifical Council for the Family” session.

The program is interesting, each morning afternoon session opens with remarks then a film followed by a presenter then witnesses after that a coffee break and a repeat of presenter, film, witness with the days ending with a scholars’ panel.

Here is the program, I hope video and transcripts will be available.

What will the Mormon do during the coffee break? Stand around and cluck his tongue at all the infidels who are going to hell for drinking coffee?

:smiley:

Maybe they will also serve postum. :smiley:

Wow, you mean they won’t serve water !?!?
Do Catholic Priests only drink coffee and alcoholic beverages?

I hope so, in English. The founding document for the Pontifical Council for the Family, Motu Propio, “Familia a Deo Instituta” (1981), still has not been translated into English.

familiam.org/pls/pcpf/V3_S2EW_CONSULTAZIONE.mostra_pagina?id_pagina=2465

But there’s an excellent website from the Council.

familiam.org/famiglia_eng/00002554_HOME_ENG.html

This has been your experience Paul? Wow. You don’t happen to live in Provo, Utah do you?

I know Utah culture has some quirks, but I’ve been here in Colorado (where mormons are a pretty small minority) for 14 years now. My job throws coffee talks and celebrates with alcohol at the parties. My tongue has yet to cluck at any of my co-workers. Just yesterday, I raised my glass of grape juice and toasted our company along with all my champagne-drinking peers.

I guess your mileage has varied.

Or San Pellegrino!

I appreciate the news stories on the Pontificium Consilium pro Familia website. thank you, RebeccaJ.

Thanks for the link to the program, zaffiroborant. I wish I could be there. I am glad to see the Catholic Church taking the lead in restoring “Family” as genuine family. And by “lead” I mean a bold, unapologetic (pun!), uncompromising lead in the face of socially corrupt opposition.

Witnesses will draw from
the wisdom of their religious tradition and cultural experience as they attest to the power and vitality of the complementary union of man and woman. It is hoped that the colloquium be a catalyst for creative language and projects, as well as for global solidarity, in the work
of strengthening the nuptial relationship, both for the good of the spouses themselves and for the good of all who depend upon them.

This might be at least just a little problematic for those traditions who believe multiple spouses and/or concubines are a part of the divine reward in Heaven. But as long as the focus remains on family relations on earth, even polygamists might be accommodated. The first step in overcoming problems that result from such issues, is to be willing to talk about them, and even more willing to listen to feedback one is sure to get when voicing nontraditional convictions.

Presentations (most):
The Destiny of Humanity: On the Meaning of Marriage
The Family – Still the Basic Unit of Society
The Sacramentality of Human Love According to Saint John Paul II
Understanding Man and Woman
A Hidden Sweetness: The Power of Marriage Against Hardship
Challenge and Hope for a New Generation
Marriage, Culture and Civil Society

" What will the Mormon do during the coffee break? Stand around and cluck his tongue at all the infidels who are going to hell for drinking coffee?
what a needless insulting comment-not called for at all

I don’t see the Catholic church accommodating polygamy any more than they would accommodate same sex marriage.

Just yesterday while waiting to go to work my 2 friends (lds) were telling each other they are going to hell for the 2 very large cups of coffee they were drinking. It was quite funny.

Heh. Well, as the joke goes, Jews don’t recognize Jesus as the Messiah, Protestants don’t recognize the Pope’s authority, and Mormons don’t recognize each other at the liquor store. :smiley:

Yes, preferably together. Irish coffee for everyone. :thumbsup:

baahahaha :rotfl::rotfl:

It looks like the colloquium happened. Here’s Pope Francis with LDS Apostle and member of the first presidency Henry B. Eyring in Vatican City:

(This must have been before they headed over to the beverage service. ;))

I don’t know why, but all my original links are dead. I’m looking for more, but searching for events that happened in the Vatican isn’t quite my forte - does anyone have active links?

I’d love to watch videos from this gathering, or read transcripts.

[edit] I found one news article:The Washington Post - Pope says children have a right to grow up in a family with a father and a mother

I found updated links: humanum.it/en/videos/#colloquium

It has highlights from many of the speakers. Looks like Pres. Eyring’s video is 7 from the left - you can also find the video here:
youtube.com/watch?v=ceDqz5ditH4

The full transcript of his talk (the Vatican is calling it a “witness”) is here:

TRANSCRIPT: President Eyring Addresses the Vatican Summit on Marriage

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.