Mormon missionaries at it again!

novinite.com/view_news.php?id=93843

Mormons Rush into Orthodox Church in Bulgaria’s Burgas, Interrupt Service

5 June 2008, Thursday

Two mormon preachers rushed Thursday into “Saints Cyril and Methodius” orthodox church in Bulgaria’s coastal city of Burgas to interrupt the morning service, held to mark the Ascension of Jesus.

The missionaries entered the temple and announced in Bulgarian before the people inside they were going to preach.

The young men refused to leave even after priest Zahari asked them to. The scandal lasted for about half an hour before the mormons were taken out of the church almost by force.

“Such an incident happened for the first time and that aggressive behaviour was a precedent,” father Zahari said.

“I have ceased all responsible institutions and will insist on removing The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from Bulgaria’s creed register as well as extraditing of its missionaries,” he added.

I think they need a class in Religious Tolerence - Send em a CCC to read in jail

If you follow the link and read the comments, you see the Mormons denying the story and positing that it was a plot by non-Mormons to discredit them. Shades of the Colorado incident.

So what else is new?

google “lying for the lord”

This just shows they aren’t the ripest fruit on the tree.

After everything with the shrine in Colorado, they have the nerve to do something like this?

I can’t wait to see what the LDS leadership has to say about this.

I took a religions in America Class and we covered A LOT of religions. May be they should take it too.

I agree on the religious tolerance class!

I would never think of going into a Mormon meeting house and disruping them. Shame on those Young Men!

I tried to post, but couldn’t. I figure the more times things like this happen, the more countries will not allow them into their countries. They sign their own fate. I hope that Fr. Zahari succeeds in getting them banned. They give this country a bad name.

And the more countries that ban them, the stronger will be the message that the US needs to deal with a “religion” that claims religious freedom as an excuse for violating the rights of others.

Be careful what you wish for.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=244918

I am LDS (Mormon) and find it a disgrace that a couple of missionaries have acted in such an inappropriate manner (I assume the story is accurate). Please understand that such actions do not represent the LDS community as a whole. My response to the article was a sense of disgust which I feel is similar to the reaction many of you had. Missionaries, as young as they are, can get caught up in immature emotions and ideas. I am truly sorry that something like this has happened. I personally have attended many other faiths out of curiosity and interest and have had wonderful experiences and interactions. I have nothing but the highest respect for these various religions and the strivings of their followers to live good faithful lives.

The problem is that this is the 2nd time that we know of that two Mormon missionaries have attempted to either desecrate or interrupt another religious church service.

Once might be an exception; twice is a trend.

And this is the 2nd time recently that we know of. I wonder how many more instances like this happen that we don’t.

I know a lot of Mormons and have visited the LDS church for their sacrament meetings. This behavior does not seem like them at all. Probably an untrue story, IMO.

Did you read the comments? Anybody can invent a story like that, or fake such an incident.

zerinus

This is a rerun, lol.

Mormon’s rehash the same excuses: They were young and dumb and/or it didn’t happen.

I am sorry if my previous post was not clear. I was not trying to make excuse but simply apologize and compliment your faith.

Why were you disgusted?

I was disgusted that anyone, let alone a missionary from my faith, would intrude uninvited and disrupt a worship service. There is a time and place for religious discussion but not confrontation and not during a worship service. That is where individuals go to feel peace and spirituality which cannot be felt in the environment created by these missionaries. It shows a lack of respect, tolerance and love.

I agree, but that is my experience of Mormon missionaries in general. So no, it is not an isolated incident. It is how every Mormon missionary I have come across behaves. That is, intrusive and uninvited.

thank you. I am a little unsure as to why LDS missionaries are visiting other churches so often now. Before i moved to CA they used to attend mass at my previous parish quite often. they were always well behaved and respectful. the pastor enjoyed visiting with them and mentioned them is a positive way in a couple of homilies praising their dedication of time, talent and treasure. (he did say for the wrong cause but still pointed to that as an example of people actually living their faith)

so far the bad situations seem to be isolated as opposed to organized. i am worried because i know the culture that produces that mindset and thus fear even more of these situations but I certainly don’t think it a planned strategy nor do i believe there is anything other than disapproval from their leadership.

Thankfully, you personally felt enriched by sharing our Catholic traditions, but the books of your faith are not at all helpful:

"Both Catholics and Protestants are nothing less than the “whore of Babylon” whom the Lord denounces… as having corrupted all the earth by their fornications and wickedness. And any person who shall be so wicked as to receive a holy ordinance of the gospel from the ministers of any of these apostate churches will be sent down to hell with them, unless they repent of the unholy and impious act. If any penitent believer desires to obtain forgiveness of sins through baptism, let him beware of having any thing to do with the churches of apostate Christendom, lest he perish in the awful plagues and judgments, denounced against them. The only persons among all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people who have authority from Jesus Christ to administer any gospel ordinance are those called and authorized among the Latter-day Saints. Before the restoration of the church of Christ to the earth in the year 1830, there have been no people on the earth for many generations possessing authority from God to minister gospel ordinances. We again repeat. Beware of the hypocritical false teachers and imposters of Babylon!

• Apostle Orson Pratt The Seer, Vol.2, No.4, p.255

I certainly don’t want to start a war over this, but perhaps your Authorities should dampen the anti-Catholic polemics so that other young Mormon missionaries don’t step over the line.

actually the had damped down the anticatholic stuff for almost 20 years, muzzling Mconkie, etc. THEN… gordon hinkley had to go and attack the creeds. they may not teach it or emphasize it so much anymore but it’s still there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.