Mormon neighbors

I don’t support LDS but I’m not sure why this is considered a bizarre practice. I feel any family could use something like this. Catholics are constantly saying we need to strengthen family ties and catachesis. Here is an example of prioritizing family time and religious education integrating it into their normal life. So what if their church mandates it?

I always felt Missions were more about deep indoctrination than getting converts or doing what most consider mission work (helping truly needy). So I don’t like their approach but wouldn’t it be great if more Catholic young adults did a mission to help solidify their faith and express God’s love for the less fortunate.

When I was young, Sunday was effectively Family Day for all Catholics. Outside of Mass everyone seemed to stay home that day and it was always our big dinner of the week. I don’t see that anymore with everyone so busy. Having a designated family night were you are talking or playing games together for a few hours is a fantastic habit. As soon as you turn on the TV people start separating, too many screens in most homes so each picks their own programs. Their church is restrictive but it does push good family practices.

Orthodox Judaism is somewhat similar with family time due to Sabbath law. If you must go to synagogue and then can’t drive anywhere or do any work, it kind of MAKES Saturday a family day!

The difference, however, is that fellow Jews all tend to live in the same neighborhood (or used to) and there was a lot of visiting going on. It was still a pulling in of a smaller community with common values and centering around the family itself.

After I left the faith and was married and had children, I missed the feel of one day a week withdrawing from the world so our family started our own tradition of Sunday evening being family time…sit down dinner, discussions on whatever was in the news, and limited TV unless we watched it as a family and discussed it afterwards. Star Trek tended to be the best discussion generating show on Sunday evenings and we all love it to this day!

It’s a great habit to generate no matter how you do it. It strengthens the family in ways that may not be apparent for years to come.

Catholics don’t need to go on missions to help solidify their faith. Our faith is expressed not only in word but through our service to others which is shown each day to all we meet.

There are also retreats Catholics may go on if they wish to. Unlike the mandatory Mormon missions, Catholic retreats are voluntary.

I feel you are being highly defense.

Nobody NEEDS to go on a mission to enhance their faith, but the faith is enhanced by many who do so.

A short retreat is not a mission, but they do help.

If you bothered to read what I said, I was very critical of the LDS mission approach.

I did read it, Theo520.

THEN how do you imagine I’m defending LDS missions??

You are making assumptions whereas my post made it quite clear which part of your post I was responding to.

Most Mormon youth don’t serve missions. They aren’t actually mandatory, but there is a lot of pressure put on the young men and women to serve missions. If they choose not to go, nothing bad happens, other than what happens in the social mores of Mormon circles. For instance, many young Mormons have the mindset of only marrying a returned missionary. So if you’re not a returned missionary, your pool of potential mates gets a lot smaller. It’s just my opinion, but I think a big part of the reason that mission ages were recently lowered was because too many young men between high school and age 19 were slipping away. It’s easier to get them right out of high school and seminary while they are still fresh and gullible. As for the young women, I can’t say for sure. My youngest son was one of the pioneers of 18 year-old missionaries. For him, it was a very bad experience. Partly because he was simply too young and ill-prepared for what was ahead and partly because he happened to read the letter to the CES director and asked me what that was all about. Of course, I happily explained it to him.

I’ve always thought it odd when 19 year old comes to my door to tell me about a religion for my life. Aside from my 6 kids homeschooled with Catholic curriculum, my degree of theology from a Catholic university and 2000 years if saints. I usually just focus on sexual theology. You should see their eyes when talking of why each act should be ordered to creation…

Yeah, I’ve also heard from people in Utah that the socialization between kids is okay up to a point, but when the kids reach a certain age then the Mormon kids are expected to start spending all their time with other Mormon kids. If the non-Mormon kids aren’t going to convert then the friendships will be dropped at that time. Usually happens around age 12 or 13.

I have also heard some stories about adult Mormons befriending non-Mormons with the sole goal of converting them, and if it became apparent that the other adult was not going to convert then the Mormons would end that adult friendship also.

Based on these types of stories I have no problem being casually friendly with LDS in a workplace setting or being “neighborly” if they are neighbors, but I wouldn’t want to have any social contact past that. Too much chance of the friendship just ending abruptly.

:flushed: :flushed:
Thanks, mister.

:open_mouth::fearful::astonished::sweat::confused::hushed:

I grew up in Utah. Whenever I wanted to hang out with a friend who my parents didn’t know, the first question was always, “Is he a Mormon?” If I answered “no” then they usually did as well. But I could invite them over to our house.

I grew up in California. My parents wouldn’t come right out and say ‘no’, but they’d say “Well why don’t you have him over the house. We’ll order pizzas and rent movies!”, and then of course they’d invite the missionaries over and proselytize my friends unbeknownst to either them or their parents.

I’m going to come right out and say it: These people very likely don’t want to be real friends with you. They want to be friendly to you so that you’ll convert. This woman will keep pestering you about coming to her church until you’ve had enough and tell her in no uncertain terms that you’re not interested, after which she’ll cut off contact with you.

Mark my words.

That pretty well sums up my experiences!!

I do not fear Mormons. I pray for them instead. :pray::pray::pray:

I love Mormons. Virtually all of my family are Mormons. I’m the black sheep of the family. Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaa . . . :rofl:

If this is the case, how do you explain this story of a recently ordained Catholic priest who says his faith journey started with a visit from two Latter-day Saint missionaries, and that he still shares a deep friendship with one those missionaries today?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.