Mormon neighbors

The exception that proves the rule?

Sometimes it’s necessary for an individual to become involved in religious discussions with others with opposite viewpoints in order to awaken the individuals spirituality. Broussard apparently needed these discussions and the praying that went along with them. The goal of the missionaries was to convert him. They weren’t able to but it worked out for the best for Broussard anyway.

I have a feeling this is the case. That doesn’t bother me a whole lot, although I know it would be a bummer to my kids not to have neighbor kids to play with anymore (there are no other kids on our street). Obviously having convenient playmates is not more important than our faith.

This statement characterizing Latter-day Saints as non-Christian is incorrect. Latter-day Saints believe that Jesus atoned for the sins of mankind, and the no one could return to the present of God without that atonement. I hope this helps…

I think you are very right about not wanting to be anyones assignment. When I was LDS I always wondered i the “friendships” I was making in the church were fake. When I stopped going to church, everyone stopped talking to me. turns out the friendships were fake i guess .

I don’t know what it is you want me to explain. A practicing Latter-day Saint meets a lax Catholic and they form a friendship, which prompts the latter to become more serious in his faith? It isn’t my position that it’s impossible for LDS people to be genuine friends with those of other faiths. My position is that more often than not the “friendships” LDS strike up with non-members are shallow and predicated on them being able to eventually make an investigator (and then a convert) out of the person. As has been said earlier in this thread: you’re more a project than a friend. Showing me an exception to the rule doesn’t disprove the rule. Mr. Blackwell is a genuinely good friend to Mr. Broussard since their friendship is clearly not conditioned on some kind of shared religious membership.

I have two such Mormon friends myself. Only two, after two and a half decades of being a devout Latter-day Saint myself, born to a pioneer family, and having served a mission. But those two are indeed good friends. One of them came to my Catholic baptism/confirmation 7 Easters ago (the other couldn’t make it due to his sibling’s wedding). I went to both of their weddings, and, yes, I stood outside of the temple while the sealing occurred and I don’t really care. I wasn’t there to see an LDS sealing (I’ve seen plenty). I was there to show my love and support.

None of this changes the fact that there’s a cultural pressure for LDS to, let’s be honest, be fake to people in hopes that they’ll show interest in the LDS Church. Given the fact the O.P. mentioned hardly knowing this woman and yet she continually pressures her to attend Sacrament Meeting with her, I’m willing to bet that she isn’t looking for a genuine friendship. Maybe I’m wrong. Hopefully I’m wrong.

I generally ask anyone attempting to convert me when knocking on my door to please not do so again. I’ve only had to be more direct than that once or twice. I’ve had one set of JW’s who simply wouldn’t stop knocking one morning years ago and telling me how the statue of Mary in the living room window as frightening them due to its ‘Satanic’ power. I simply eventually told them they could walk around the corner and not see it. They still kept knocking and as I was trying to sleep after working all night at that point I opened the door and with a cordless phone in hand told them if they kept knocking I was going to phone the security patrol for the estate and ask for them to be removed from the area or that if they didn’t like that I would physically removed them from my doorway if they weren’t gone in a few seconds. Most JW’s just see ‘Good day’ and move on if you show no interest. Mormons are lesser known beings here. Although I do have abiding memories of one trying to convert someone at a bus stop in Lewisham. That area of London has a very high amount of black people living it. A lady at the bus stop who was clearly from somewhere in the deep south of the US pointed out, ‘You might want to ask that young man about their former views on black people’ to the young man the Mormon was talking to. When he looked rattled she pointed out what they were and there was suddenly a LOT of angry people at that bus stop. So angry in fact that I moved on to another stop.

From a Catholic point of view Mormons are not considered Christians, quasi-Christian at best. I find the whole difference academic as I regard all of it this point as essentially pious fiction but Catholics and Orthodox faithful do not generally regard Mormons as Christian, although they may admire or respect certain aspects of their faith.

Wow. You have some tough door-knockers in your neighborhood.

When such folk (and they are markedly more mild in my area) show up, and after I take over the conversation and move it into history, and my experiences in life, they are usually running in about 10 minutes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.