Mormon "Plan" for Salvation

I have been dialoguing with Mormons for several months now. The last time they were at my house they told me they were going to explain “Christ’s plan for salvation” the next time they came by.

Any idea what are they going to try and come at me with this time?

Well, as I have never had the opportunity to really discuss the Mormon ‘selling-points’, I will only indicate what they teach about salvation:

Mormons believe that their church is “the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth” (D&C 1:30), the only organization authorized by the Almighty to preach his gospel and administer the ordinances of salvation, the only Church which has power to save" (Mormon Doctrine; 1977 ed, p. 136).

Mormons either deny of pervert every essential doctrine of historic Christianity, including the uniqueness of God, the virgin birth, the Trinity, the authority of Scripture (by relegating it to a position below their other sacred writings), and salvation by grace through faith. Source: Charts of Cults, Sects, & Religious Movementshttp://www.apologeticsindex.org/graphics/out4.gif by H. Wayne House, Zondervan Publishing House, Grand Rapids, Michigan, 2000, page 58.

“the plan of salvation is the fullness of the gospel. It includes the Creation, the Fall, the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and all the laws, ordinances, and doctrines of the gospel.”1 Free agency, or the ability to choose for ourselves, is also an integral part of God’s plan. Because of the plan of salvation, all may become perfect through the Atonement of Jesus Christ and live with Heavenly Father again. This plan of salvation is also referred to as the ‘plan of happiness’, ‘plan of redemption’ or the ‘plan of mercy.’ Source

Please see this as it is too lengthy to post here but contains some very clear information.

Some very interesting stuff indeed.

Start here. After reading it, click on the Plan of Salvation under the heading Learn More.

This is original Mormon material. They will explain it better than me. Don’t worry, the materials are brief and to the point. You will find plenty of things to discuss with your missionaries on that site. For a simple example, you will learn that Mormons think we existed in heaven before we were conceived in our mother’s wombs. Catholics don’t believe this.

They might be willing to discuss the Fall with you. They have a different view of its purpose than Catholics do.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.