Mormon PR Campaign: Do Good Individuals Equal A Good Church?

The corner of the internet concerned with Mormon issues has been aflutter recently over a new ad campaign created by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, featuring profiles of church members, showcasing their achievements, their individuality, their likability. It turns out that Mormons can be professional surfers and talented skateboarders. Having grown up Mormon in a small Mormon town, I’ve long appreciated the complexity of Mormon character and the uniqueness of individual Mormons, and I’m totally down with a project to reveal that to the rest of the world. I just wish the church hadn’t spent the last three decades encouraging, if not demanding, homogeneity and blandness – or, to use the official LDS term for the virtue of uniformity, correlation.

Originated in the early twentieth century but not emphasized until the 1970s, correlation was a program that consolidated central control and enforced consistency and sameness as much as possible throughout the church.

So the new ads, challenging the effects of correlation, are overdue. However, they’re not perfect.

As ECS of Feminist Mormon Housewives notes, there’s a bait and switch going on in the profiles of women: most featured profiles showcase “women with small children who choose to work outside the home in demanding careers,” which is not the ideal Mormon women are told to aspire to – instead, they’re encouraged to be stay-at-home-moms whenever possible. ECS concludes that if the church doesn’t address the discord between what it tells its own members Mormon families should be like, and what it tells the rest of the world Mormon families are like, then “this PR campaign is disingenuous at best, and just plain gross, at worst.”

I thought the Mormons had changed their teachings on women and the workplace.

There are good individuals in the LDS church but the more you get to know the more you realize they are not saints as they advertise to be.

Are there saintly Mormons, somewhere?

I find that most LDS mothers are stay-at-home moms here in Utah. (I happen to agree that mothers should be at home at least until children are in school).

What is notable is the cookie-cutter look of the LDS. Very similar hairstyles, clothing, home decor…Actually, it is very clean-cut and attractive, just so very different from other parts of the country where there is a lot of diversity.

I have noticed more LDS men sporting facial hair and more trendy clothing (as opposed to preppy) and felt that it was an attempt to “hip up the image.”

It is all too contrived. Too focused on image.

I guess I don’t understand a religion that needs to advertise???

Yes, just like there are saintly people in all other churches, and saintly people not even in church. But the church, from their advertisements, presents them as extremely nice people, extremely Christian, etc… When I joined I thought no Mormon got a divorce. I was wrong big time on that! lol. I found some stuck up people in the ward I joined for two years.
I expected 100% would be extremely nice and all that. Nope. Not even close.

So true. Sort of like a conservative Ken and Barbie church. Ken would have to have a little shorter hair and Barbie always in a dress that goes below the knees. You can really hear the contrivance on Fast Sunday when they testify, particularly the women.

I was a convert to the Mormon church in my very early twenties and became an Elder, Scount Master and so forth I DID ultimately leave and became a ROMAN Catholic but there are a couple of things I think our Church could study, learn, and apply to our Church Body. The program they have for the poor, underemployed and disabled is better than ANY program out there, AND get this- NO FREE RIDES! If you are on the program you do some volunteer work be it on the phone, working at the cannery, on the farm or delivering to shut ins- you do SOMETHING and I can tell you from personal experience- it isn’t some nasty banfg and dent toss offs that you get. The food is A-1 First qualitiy. You go Twice a month You work 2 days and you get enough food for your family to eat- not just gap fillers 3 meals a day.
Mothers ARE encouraged to be stay at home Moms.I know I will get some hate mail on this but come on, Anyone who thinks childrearing is a Part time job are kidding themselves and robbing the children. We ALL LOOSE.

Hey TikiTok
Wow, who told you that Mormons were not human? I’d say the LDS people I’ve met do try to live Christian values but they seem to have real problems in their lives as well.

Have you seen my new singnature

In another sense, because I have had issues with some Catholic parishes…what makes a good church or parish community depends upon how open the people themselves are to Christ. The more Christlike the person…the more the honor to Christ, not the people.

I remember hearing this one nun justly say that they were sad for the poor when people donated rags and junk to them. that made me think the poor deserve the best. Kudos to the Mormons who think that way and give the poor the best.

Mormons are among the finest people I know. I am sure even some of the very rude ones we have seen here are really good people off the computer. They have good valuies, good family values, and are hard workers.

The issue is not the people. The issue is the god they worship and the prophet they follow.

I work with a Mormon. He always picks on me with cliché arguments about the Pope and other Catholic beliefs and I answer back picking on him asking him where his other 3 wives are. He’s a nice guy, agreeable, funny and yes, he fits the model of clean, crisp, preppy look. For all we could see he had the perfect family, beautiful stay-home wife, great and beautiful kids. Just last week he received a phone call at work from a neighbor notifying him that his wife took the kids and all the things out of his house and left him. She filed for divorce. Great shock! I realized then that everybody has their own issues.

Regards,
Veronica

The neighbor’s wife left the neighbor?:confused:

Your sig is the definition of Mormonism.

C. S. Lewis was Mormon?:eek:

C. S. Lewis was an Irish-born British novelist, academic, medievalist, literary critic, essayist, lay theologian and Christian apologist. He is also known for his fiction, especially The Screwtape Letters, The Chronicles of Narnia and The Space Trilogy.

A committed Anglican, Lewis upheld a largely orthodox Anglican theology, though in his apologetic writings, he made an effort to avoid espousing any one denomination. Lewis considered himself an entirely orthodox Anglican to the end of his life.

Todd

I like the signature, but it is not really all that appropriate here at CAF.

However, I am going right right over to the Mormon Coffee blog, where it is 150% appropriate, and stick it in their eye. Blasted bible thumpers.

We are having a little dustup over there about hell. Seems that a Mormon wrote a column in an L.A. Jewish journal saying that only the bible thumpers think that Jews are going to hell and that Mormons know it ain’t so. The bible thumpers are bent out of shape about that.

I am planning on giving them a couple more shots to the kneecaps. Check it out. Let’em have it. Too bad our Catholic friends here at CAF don’t have a dog in that fight, but they might get some laughs out of it.

I am going to figure out a way to use STM’s signature quote from Pope Leo I. Maybe the bible thumpers will say the Pope is the antichrist or something similarly wacky. They will tick off my wife, who is a convert from Catholicism, and likes to tell her family that the LDS Prophet “is like the Pope but more so.”

Murdock

Ohh, I bet that makes the sparks fly!!

You are talking about Todd’s sig and you are 100% correct

It is ironically appropos for a Mormon, whose religion is built on, and dependent upon, the belief that all other faiths are an “abomination”, and all of us who profess those faiths are “corrupt”.

No kidding?

lol.

Certainly he didn’t believe in the false god of mormonism.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.