Mormon President..does Mitt have a chance?

:knight2: Do you think Mitt Romney has a chance to become the next President of the United States? Check out this video then answer the question.:smiley:
Thank you all in advance!

youtube.com/watch?v=a9IJUkYUbvI

I don’t trust Mitt Romney, and not because he is a Mormon.
Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah is a Mormon, and I very much respect him.

Mitt Romney was consistently and vocally pro-gay and pro-abortion up until just about last year, when he began thinking of a Presidential run. This was an abrupt switch. While it may be sincere, I can’t judge his heart, we in the Republican Party have gotten burned before by some of our candidates on the pro-life and pro-family issues (which are the only real reasons why I technically remain a Republican. On most issues I would LOVE to vote Democrat, but abortion is Murder and I consider that point absolutely paramount, so I’m stuck voting Republican, unless Giuliani gets the nomination. If that happens, I will stay home on Election Day).

God bless,
Jaypeeto4
+JMJ+

I don’t think Romney has a chance, the media seems to go after him about being a mormon all the time.

[quote=Jaypeeto4]Mitt Romney was consistently and vocally pro-gay and pro-abortion up until just about last year, when he began thinking of a Presidential run. This was an abrupt switch. While it may be sincere, I can’t judge his heart …
[/quote]

BINGO. Flip-flopping = booooooooooo.

Jesus said "*Not every one who says to me, `Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. (*Matthew 7:21)

I tend to apply the same rule in politics. I am less interested in what candidates say about pro-life than what they have done about the matter.

Being an ex-Mormon, and more importantly an ex-Mormon-missionary, my conscience would not allow me to vote for a Mormon for president. Here’s why:

Mormon missionaries use every leverage possible to make Mormonism appear respectable, mainstream and not-weird. Back in my day we used the Osmonds, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, or anything else to get a foot in the door.

If Romney was elected president, and especially if he did a good job as president, the Mormon elders would have a valuable “in” to convince prospective converts that Mormonism is an asset to one’s life, rather than a weird mind-control cult.

More souls than ever would be deceived into believing that the bible is corrupt, that Jesus was unable to protect His church from total apostasy, that the blood of Christ is not sufficient to cleanse us from all sin, that God the Father is a former human sinner who earned his way to godhood, and that all of us Christians profess “abominations” for creeds.

Sorry, can’t do it. Even if I liked Romney, I could not vote for him.

Paul

Personally, I don’t think the Mormonism has that much to do with it. I don’t think ANY Republican has a shot at it this time around. They’re saddled with a terrible incumbent, and a rotten war that is still going to be going on during the election. 2008 isn’t going to be a good Republican year.

Americans are notoriously schizoid about politics. Just look a the last few Presidents, say, since Nixon/Ford. They swung over to Carter, then back to Reagan, then to moderate DaddyBush, then to Clinton, then back to BabyBush. So we’ve had 8 years of this, and now you can expect the country to swing to a moderate democrat, probably someone with a purty face, like Ms Clinton or Obama, who has a workable national healthcare plan and tends to international isolationism.

My two cents: When I was growing up my mormon parents said that church members believe there would one day be a mormon president. The reason would be to rescue the U.S. goverment from falling apart and the church would step in. I don’t know where (if at all) it is in church doctrine but it sure was in my church teachings as a child.

I wonder if the LDS people of today believe that same idea?:shrug:

:slight_smile: For what its worth: Mr. Orrin Hatch has done alot of good for Utah
However, I think these days Hatch is trying to live on both sides of the fence since he is all for embryomic stem cell research. Isnt that killing a baby? Hatch has investments $$$ in the drug companies that want to do this type of research!
Need I say more:mad:

I remember in 1985, when the Republicans had a majority in both houses and the Presidency, Senator Hotch used his position as committee chairman to block a bill which would have declared an unborn child a person, while he diddled away the year playing with his plans for an amendment. When the amendment failed to get the needed 2/3 vote, the bill would have only required a majority, he declared it a lost cause and did nothing more.

Only if He hires Benny Hinn

Benny Hinn Claims Dead Will Live …
Just Place Them Next To The TV Set
deceptioninthechurch.com/deadwilllive.html

Well, unless someone better comes along…and I ain’t seen him/her yet…Mitt gets my vote in the Primary. However, unless the party REALLY gets it’s act together, there will be a Democrat sitting in the White House in January 2009…God save us…

If we wait long enough we will have a Jewish president as well. You know better than I what the Mormon church teaches, but I can’t believe Romney would attempt a takeover. He has succeeded at everything he has tried and I think he would make a good president. But I am still waiting for another candidate.

**Wait! I thought all discussion of political candidates was banned! ** :dts:

Well well, it seems Mormonism sounds more like Islam with almost every thing I hear about it. The similarities are uncanny.

[quote=exoflare]Well well, it seems Mormonism sounds more like Islam with almost every thing I hear about it. The similarities are uncanny.
[/quote]

Same deception - just retooled for a different time and place.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.