Mormon rituals on youtube

Has anybody seen this video on youtube:

youtube.com/watch?v=1sDDHwV4n20

Is this what goes on in Mormon temples?:eek:
What is the purpose of acting out like you are going to slice someone’s throat?

Ay! This is too creepy, maybe it’s the narrator or music, but still…and the part with the old lady feeling up that other woman.

I still don’t know how true this can be. We don’t know the rituals anyways, the LDS church refuses to reveal them.

In Pax Christi
Andrew

Didnt it stem from masonic rituals?

I know the rituals very well. I was an active Mormon for 11 years and I went to the temple many times. What is shown in the video is a very accurate portrayal of portions of the temple washings, annointings and endowment as practiced prior to 1990. After the changes of 1990, the blood oaths and inter-personal touching were removed from the ceremonies. I think this was because the internet enabled people to publicize the rituals as never before. The shock and outcry from non-Mormons and Mormons who had never made themselves “worthy” to attend the temple was such that the Mormon leadership decided to delete the blood oaths and other offensive parts of the ceremony. Now they can say “We don’t do those things in our temples, and anyone who says we do is a hateful, lying anti-Mormon”.

Paul

The secret handshakes and passwords, and several other elements of the rituals, were taken from freemasonry. The handshakes are identical. The passwords are similar.
Paul

The touching is definitely a bit of a worry - was it only between people of the same gender or would there be men and women touching?

In the washing and anointing, it was same-sex only. But the “five points of fellowship*”, a rather intimate masonic embrace at the veil (at the conclusion of the endowment ceremony), during which the last (and lengthiest) password was given, was always between the male or female initiate and a male “veil worker” who represented the Mormon god. Some women had complained that “god” got a bit excited during the embrace so that they detected a sixth “point of fellowship” through the veil. This was also publicized via the internet, so much so that the “five points of fellowship” was also dropped from the ceremony in 1990.

Paul

• From the pre-1990 endowment:

“The Five Points of Fellowship are inside of right foot by the
side of right foot, knee to knee, breast to breast, hand to back,
and mouth to ear.” The patron and the Veil Worker both reach
their left arm through the appropriate mark in the Veil, while
holding right hands in the Patriarchal Grip, and embracing each
other, maintaining strong contact at all the points indicated
with the Veil separating them, while the Veil Worker gives the
name of the token to the patron and the patron repeats it back
vebatim.

The name of the token is “Health in the navel, marrow
in the bones, strength in the loins and sinews. Power in the
Priesthood be upon me, and upon my posterity through all
generations of time, and throughout all eternity.”

The man and the woman looked so tensed but I don’t know for sure what went through their mind at that time.

I know the rituals very well. I was an active Mormon for 11 years and I went to the temple many times. What is shown in the video is a very accurate portrayal of portions of the temple washings, annointings and endowment as practiced prior to 1990. After the changes of 1990, the blood oaths and inter-personal touching were removed from the ceremonies. I think this was because the internet enabled people to publicize the rituals as never before. The shock and outcry from non-Mormons and Mormons who had never made themselves “worthy” to attend the temple was such that the Mormon leadership decided to delete the blood oaths and other offensive parts of the ceremony. Now they can say “We don’t do those things in our temples, and anyone who says we do is a hateful, lying anti-Mormon”.

From what I understand, the way the washing and anointings are carried out has changed just in the past year or two. I imagine in response to many people expressing discomfort with all the touching…

I also thought the video was creepy, and sensationalistic. I do know that quite a number of people never go back after their first visit to the temple. However I think that video would seem pretty foreign to those who actually believe the temple a be place of God. You would certainly know better than I though. :o

I never went. Could never answer honestly “yes” to all the interview questions, due to personal doubts about the truthfulness of the LDS church. And thankfully I had friends who were honest enough to tell me that I would not necessarily experience a deeper worship of Christ in the temple, which was what my soul was longing for.

I still haven’t picked my jaw up off the floor.

I will continue to pray that those within LDS open their hearts and find the Way.

I applaud those that have gotten out. I have a friend who I fear will never get out :frowning:

How are these rituals supposed to be Bible Based?

More videos from that page, The God Makers:

youtube.com/watch?v=0zptF3BIriE

youtube.com/watch?v=Jmz44L4rCq8

Aa a fromer Mason I can confirm that all the hand gestures are exact copies of Masonic ones, as are the stated penalties. Main difference is that the Masons clearly state that their penalties are “symbolic”.
Smith was also a Mason and apparently too lazy to make up new rituals for his “religion”.

Mormonism has never claimed to be bible-based. It is Joseph Smith-based.
Paul

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.