Mormon Student at Notre Dame Converts to Catholicism

News story here. Somebody posted it on MADB. That is where I first heard of it.

Big deal! One Mormon converts to Catholicism, and it is a news story. Hundreds of Catholics convert to Mormonism, and nobody hears about it.

Just wait until our new temple is built in Rome. Half Italians will become Mormons then! :smiley:

zerinus

Ugly speak does not glorify the Lord.:tsktsk:

Check out the comments after the blog by the LDS poster Roymondo. A whole lot of ugliness there!

Doubtful. Italians are fairly sensible.

It is interesting how you are attempting to appear to be speaking in a Christian manner when you’re actually trying to provoke a reaction.

I’m no psychology expert but is that what is known as passive aggressive behaviour?

Bragging about the doings of college students, no matter which way they go, is like bragging about the wind.

They will do as they wish when they wish and it proves nothing

Conversely, I’m sure HUNDREDS of LDS people convert to Catholicism as well, and you don’t hear about it. The one Catholic Church I visited in Salt Lake City was pretty full for the 8am Mass. :slight_smile:

Approximately 400 converts were baptized in the SLC Diocese (oversees all of Utah) this past Easter Vigil.

I think this young man had a difficult personal decision to make, and should now be supported in that decision. I hope his family does that for him, and that others do that also. It seems to me that there is no need to second-guess his decision. I would have to assume that it was heart-felt, and right for him.

The article seems to have been a human-interest story that might be of interest to people. We can all interact without the super-sensitivity about how and why people make decisions in their lives. Peace to all.

It always makes me feel good to see these kinds of stories. I’ve actually participated in a Yahoo newsgroup of ex-Mormon Catholics. I am always surprised to see how many Mormons do convert to Catholicism. When you consider that Catholics do not go door-to-door to convert Mormons like I did to Catholics when I was a missionary in Latin America, it is surprising that so many Mormons do convert. Catholics make almost no overt effort to convert Mormons, but some of us convert anyway. It would be interesting to see what we could do if we actually made an effort to attract the LDS rather than relying on serendipity. But then I guess conversion is more the act of God working with a person rather than the efforts we make. I know we baptized many Catholics in Latin America, but only a very few of them actually remained Mormon over time. Many of them eventually started attending the Catholic Church again. The people who converted from Protestantism or some other non-Catholic fraternity (Freemasons and Rosacrucianism) were more likely to stay active than many of the Catholics.

You can build an infinite number of golden temples to your own man made gods, which are yourselves, but Jesus is the one True God, “I AM”, from before time began.

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

Mark

Zerinus, perhaps a great many Catholics convert to Mormonism. But how many of them remain active Mormons, and how many of them go quietly back to the Catholic church without going through the humiliating ex-communiacation trials, and don’t feel like fighting to have their names removed from the membership rolls?

It is a fact that there are many more “mormons” who were baptised into the mormon church and have walked away, then there are true active mormons. It is also a fact that the mormons wait until you are a baptised member, then they pull the “good” stuff on you like Mrs God, multiple “GodS”, the top secret bizarre Temple endowment rituals, and then people flee, terrified.

Wasn’t there a Mormon prophesy that a temple was supposed to be built in Missouri, before the generation passed that heard the prophesy, and it was to be dedicated by the hand of Joseph Smith? Maybe you guys should just build them, instead of putting yourselves in the position of failing to come through what you say? :rolleyes:

Boasting is against Mormon teaching.

In D&C 3:4 (given in 1828), we find this: “For although a man may have many revelations, and have power to do many mighty works, yet if he boasts in his own strength, and sets at naught the counsels of God, and follows after the dictates of his own will and carnal desires, he must fall and incur the vengeance of a just God upon him…”

Of course, the Mormon founder failed to adhere to that teaching.

Joseph Smith gave a speech in May 1844, Smith proclaimed this: “I have more to boast of than any man ever had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a church together since the days of Adam.…Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet.”

Just 30 days from making that boast, on June 27, 1844; Joseph Smith was shot in Carthage jail.

Have you seen some of the gothic catholic cathedrals in Europe. They would make LDS temples look poor by comparison. LDS churches are usually very modest in character. And the temples have also become modest. The last glorious temple was perhaps the washington DC temple.

Joseph Smith made that boast based on a sermon he gave from the corinthians where Paul is also boasting. We always need to look at context before we try to make a point. But I do know that many pull that quote out to make Joseph Smith look bad. Also, for most of what JS said, mormons only have someone’s notes that were taken by someone during the sermon. I don’t think that they have the original but I could be wrong.

Many pull out what Joseph Smith to make him look bad, but what Joseph Smith said, doesn’t make him look bad? Isn’t that like killing the messenger?

Is Paul actually boasting, or only boasting according to Mormon interpretation?

The “someone” that took notes, was a Mormon. It’s only when the boast, or anything else Smith said, comes into question, that the “someone’s” note taking ability comes into question…

How many catholic converts remain active? And what is an active catholic? An ‘active’ catholic goes to mass every sunday especially the days of obligation. Plus, there are retreats, adorations and devotionals. Difficult to say just how many active catholics there are and how many participate in church other than the sunday mass. And we must not forget the rosary. An active catholic would need to say the rosary at least once a week.

In the lds church it is easy to see who is active and who is less active.

Z!

Your joke went over like a lead balloon. It would have been a great interest story for the catholics but…you attempted to make light of it and…well…we see what happens.

I don’t regret posting that! A lot of Catholics are killing themselves over the Mormon temple in Rome. I don’t mind giving them a gun to shoot themselves with if that is what they want! :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

zerinus

I don’t regret posting that! A lot of Catholics are killing themselves over the Mormon temple in Rome. I don’t mind giving them a gun to shoot themselves with if that is what they want!

I am not bothered that the Mormons are building a temple in Rome. It will not make Catholics convert to Mormonism all of a sudden. There is nothing special about a Mormon Temple in Rome. You have built them in many places, and I don’t see Catholics beating down your doors.

Mormonism is a wacky American religion that will not really make in-roads in European countries such as Italy. Sure, it will attract some converts. But it will never become a large religion in any country outside of the USA. Mormonism will always remain a minor cult on the outskirts of Christianity.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.