Mormon Temples

I know Mormons aren’t Christian in our sense of the word, but does anyone know why they refer to their “Churches” as Temples? Do they believe that they’re the “Third Temple”?

There is a difference between Mormon churches and temples.

From what I understand there are only about 50 temples in the world - these are large ornate buildings.

They also have smaller churches in cities all over the world - these are what you’d most likely see in most towns or cities.

As far as my understanding goes, they believe that the ordinances carried on in the temple (such as endowment, baptism for the dead) are the same as those which were carried on in the ancient temple.

These are different from the local churches where they meet on Sundays for their regular worship.

Hope this helps. Maybe one of the Mormon contributors on here can point out if I’m wrong

(And while I’m at it, thanks to them for great input into several threads on here and I wish them all the best)

Peace

Vince

The Latter Day Saint movement was conceived as a “restoration” of practices believed to have been lost in a “Great Apostasy” from the true religion of Jesus Christ. Temple worship played a prominent part of the Bible’s Old Testmanent and temples are mentioned in the New Testament and also in the Book of Mormon.

On December 27, 1832 — a mere two years after the organization of the Latter Day Saint church — the movement’s founder, Joseph Smith, Jr., reported receiving a “revelation” that called upon church members to restore the practice of temple worship. The Latter Day Saints in in Kirtland, Ohio were commanded to:
“Establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God.” (Doctrine and Covenants 1835 VII:36, LDS 88:119, RLDS 85:36b)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_%28Mormonism%29

[quote=FightingFat]The Latter Day Saint movement was conceived as a “restoration” of practices believed to have been lost in a “Great Apostasy” from the true religion of Jesus Christ. Temple worship played a prominent part of the Bible’s Old Testmanent and temples are mentioned in the New Testament and also in the Book of Mormon.

On December 27, 1832 — a mere two years after the organization of the Latter Day Saint church — the movement’s founder, Joseph Smith, Jr., reported receiving a “revelation” that called upon church members to restore the practice of temple worship. The Latter Day Saints in in Kirtland, Ohio were commanded to:
“Establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God.” (Doctrine and Covenants 1835 VII:36, LDS 88:119, RLDS 85:36b)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_%28Mormonism%29
[/quote]

I still can’t find in any of the revelations where God told Joseph Smith to take most of the temple rites, language, clothing and ordinances from the Masonic Order. He must have forgotten to write that one down.

I am a baby catholic but I was lds for 30 yrs. There are currently over 100 active temples. Mormons believe that only in the temple can ordinances that transend death be performed. Babptism for the dead, marriage for time and all eternity, endowments for yourself and your ansestors.

[quote=VincentO]There is a difference between Mormon churches and temples.

From what I understand there are only about 50 temples in the world - these are large ornate buildings.

They also have smaller churches in cities all over the world - these are what you’d most likely see in most towns or cities.

As far as my understanding goes, they believe that the ordinances carried on in the temple (such as endowment, baptism for the dead) are the same as those which were carried on in the ancient temple.

These are different from the local churches where they meet on Sundays for their regular worship.

Hope this helps. Maybe one of the Mormon contributors on here can point out if I’m wrong

(And while I’m at it, thanks to them for great input into several threads on here and I wish them all the best)

Peace

Vince
[/quote]

You are basically correct except that there are 123 Temples all over the world and more in the process of being completed. I just visited the Buenos Aires, Argentina Temple and the Santiago, Chile Temple and the Lima, Peru Temple on my trip to South America. There is another being built in Salt Lake and one in Twin Falls, Idaho and in Sacramento, California. The Ghana, Africa Temple was dedicated this past year and a couple of others I can’t remember.
Thank you for your kind comments. I am finding it very enlightening to learn about the Catholic religion also as 3 of my 6 children are married to Catholics, and my husband is Catholic.
BJ

[quote=Jodi]I am a baby catholic but I was lds for 30 yrs.
[/quote]

Wow! Jodi, I’m sure that’s a big statement for you to make! I was so amazed to see you write that! That is very cool!

[quote=Tmaque]I still can’t find in any of the revelations where God told Joseph Smith to take most of the temple rites, language, clothing and ordinances from the Masonic Order. He must have forgotten to write that one down.
[/quote]

The idea is that the Masonic rituals were corrupted and Smith ‘restored’ them, just as he ‘restored plain and precious truths’ lost from the King James Version of the Bible.

[quote=flameburns623]The idea is that the Masonic rituals were corrupted and Smith ‘restored’ them, just as he ‘restored plain and precious truths’ lost from the King James Version of the Bible.
[/quote]

I wanna restore something. :stuck_out_tongue:

The local churches were always called ‘stake houses’ which tended to confuse people. I lived in SLC for three years and recall there was one Temple and lots of smaller ‘stakes.’ There is a temple here in Portland too, quite new in comparison.

Where does the term ‘stake house’ come from? It sounds like a restaurant :confused:

Lisa N

[quote=Lisa N]Where does the term ‘stake house’ come from? It sounds like a restaurant :confused:
[/quote]

I was gonna say…Do they serve USDA Select cuts?:rotfl:

[quote=VincentO] As far as my understanding goes, they believe that the ordinances carried on in the temple (such as endowment, baptism for the dead) are the same as those which were carried on in the ancient temple.
[/quote]

What “ancient” temple would that be?

BJ Colbert, flameburns623, Lisa N, Robert in SD & tdknick

The people over at Terri’s Forum are just dying - Many have been at it for 2 straight weeks, and many are also splitting their time between here and sitting in front of the Horrid hospice where Terri Schiavo is dying.

If you guys could stop by the forum and say a few kind words about how you’re praying for them and for Terri, I’d be grateful.

Terri’s forum
forums.catholic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Pick an active Thread, any active thread…

And, if you have the time go here and find out what can still be done at this late hour:

bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brune…05?s_fromedit=1

If you have any friends who are confused about what they can do, send them there.

Again, I’ll be grateful for anything you can do.

If the forces of Death can get a victory and a precedent here, they’ll move on to people who just might be a little less disabled than Terri is.

Naturally, once Terri has delivered from this hell by either a last minute reprieve or by death, I’ll start to participate in my usual forums.

Blessings and Peace, Michael

“In prophetic imagery, Zion is pictured a a great tent upheld by cords fastened securely to stakes.”(p.764, Mormon Doctrine). This imagery comes from Isaiah 54:2-7. So Zion (the Church) is upheld by the stakes (a group of congregations). Since our chapels or churches are usually referred to as meetinghouses, the center and usually largest meetinghouse is referred to as the stake house. Someone else may have a better explanation.

[quote=Lisa N]The local churches were always called ‘stake houses’ which tended to confuse people. I lived in SLC for three years and recall there was one Temple and lots of smaller ‘stakes.’ There is a temple here in Portland too, quite new in comparison.

Where does the term ‘stake house’ come from? It sounds like a restaurant :confused:

Lisa N
[/quote]

From a citation in the Old Testament (KJV) which calls Israel to set up ‘stakes in Zion’. The word ‘stake’ was used secularly in a couple of situations in the 1800’s, most notably a ‘stake’ on property one had legal claim to. It hasn’t been used in quite that way too often since then. Meanwhile Ponderosa, Ruth’s Chris, and Ryan’s (among others) have set up ‘Steak Houses’, leading to great confusion of language when Mormons speaing of “Meet-ing Houses” and “Stake Houses” LOL. For a time, Mormons were averse to calling their places of worship “churches”, since it had echoes of apostate Christendom.That custom, though, has largely gone by the wayside, especially since Mormons have ceased emphasis on the Great Apostasy since the 1950’s.

restored - restoration

Every time I hear these words I think of Christ and His Passion, the Cross, for it was him who restored all things by His death for us and His resurrection, for all who believe in Him. He alone is the restoration. That which the Old Testament testified to. That which by the Daily Mass, His one death for us has been brought into the here and now. You don’t restore what Christ finalized through His death and resurrection. We had the prophets of God to foretell of the restoration through Christ, now in these days we have the Spirit in us, given at Pentecost. We are restored through our baptism into the death of Christ so that we can be risen in Christ.

** (Heb 1:1-2) **

“God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in times past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son…”(Jude 3)“Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints” (Gal 4:4)"But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son…(2 Tim 2:2)“And the things that thou has heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also” (Mt 28:18-20) “And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen”

[quote=Robert in SD]What “ancient” temple would that be?
[/quote]

Hi Robert

As far as I know it’s King Solomon’s temple at Jerusalem?

My understanding was that the (original) temple was used to present sacrifices as reparation for sin and this was at an altar outside the temple building.

I’m not sure what else the temple was used for but I’m not convinced it was used for any other ordinances. Can anyone help out?

I thought that possibly the faithful weren’t even allowed to enter the temple?

Peace

Vince

[quote=VincentO]Hi Robert

As far as I know it’s King Solomon’s temple at Jerusalem?

My understanding was that the (original) temple was used to present sacrifices as reparation for sin and this was done at an altar outside the temple.

I’m not sure what else the temple was used for but I’m not convinced it was used for any other ordinances. Can anyone help out?

I thought that possibly the faithful weren’t even allowed to enter the temple building itself but had to remain outside.

Peace

Vince
[/quote]

[quote=flameburns623]From a citation in the Old Testament (KJV) which calls Israel to set up ‘stakes in Zion’. The word ‘stake’ was used secularly in a couple of situations in the 1800’s, most notably a ‘stake’ on property one had legal claim to. It hasn’t been used in quite that way too often since then. Meanwhile Ponderosa, Ruth’s Chris, and Ryan’s (among others) have set up ‘Steak Houses’, leading to great confusion of language when Mormons speaing of “Meet-ing Houses” and “Stake Houses” LOL. For a time, Mormons were averse to calling their places of worship “churches”, since it had echoes of apostate Christendom.That custom, though, has largely gone by the wayside, especially since Mormons have ceased emphasis on the Great Apostasy since the 1950’s.
[/quote]

Aha! Thank you I always wondered about that term and why they didn’t use ‘church’ for the local organization/buildings. I hear that they have one architecture firm that designs all of the stake houses so they are quite similar. A new stake house was just built in our neighborhood. Very traditonal, almost a colonial design. It’s very attractive. BTW another thing I noticed about Mormon stakes is they don’t have a large sign designating what they are. The stake house that went up in our neighborhood had NO signage during construction and now has a TINY plaque on the building that just says “Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints.” Is there a reason? Most churches have huge signs, often with info on times for worship, pastor’s name, maybe a Bible quote. But the Mormons are almost incognito.

Lisa N

[quote=Lisa N]Aha! Thank you I always wondered about that term and why they didn’t use ‘church’ for the local organization/buildings. I hear that they have one architecture firm that designs all of the stake houses so they are quite similar. A new stake house was just built in our neighborhood. Very traditonal, almost a colonial design. It’s very attractive. BTW another thing I noticed about Mormon stakes is they don’t have a large sign designating what they are. The stake house that went up in our neighborhood had NO signage during construction and now has a TINY plaque on the building that just says “Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints.” Is there a reason? Most churches have huge signs, often with info on times for worship, pastor’s name, maybe a Bible quote. But the Mormons are almost incognito.

Lisa N
[/quote]

Our Churches are called Churches as our name implies “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints”. There are severaly congregations, called wards, that meet in each Church building, at different times on Sunday. My ward meets at 9:00AM and another at 11:00AM and the next at 1:00PM. Each ward is composed of approximately 500 persons and each ward has a Bishop officiating over them. Then there are Stakes, each Stake is made up of many wards(not sure how many, but maybe 3 thousand people in a Stake) Each Stake has a Stake President in charge. A Stake building is one of the church buildings, sometimes it is a little larger than the normal church building. We meet at the Stake for special conferences together with all the wards meeting at one time for these conferences. We do not need huge signs, as each member knows where the church is and attends every Sunday. There is no paid minister, so people like myself give talks pertaining to gospel subjects, usually three speakers about 10-20 minutes each and the passing of the Sacrament along with 3 or 4 hymns and opening, closing and sacrament prayers makes up the 1 hour and 15 minutes, meeting we attend. It is not secret and anyone is welcome to attend anytime. I hope I have clarified somewhat and not added to the confusion.
BJ

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.