Mormonism and Islam: comparisons are incredible

Jesus warned about false prophets, and it is pretty interesting to compare them when they come along. Joseph Smith and Mohammad are two interesting cases. Both lived in a time when religious unity among the people they knew was non-existent. Mohammad wanted to unite the warring tribes with all of their various pagan Gods. He wound up with monotheism and tried to build upon Judaism and Christianity by coming up with an angel coming to him and giving him a book from heaven to unite the various factions. Joseph Smith saw religious differences in his own time. His answer? An angel from heaven comes and gives him a book which would united the differing Christian groups and restore the true gospel. Both Mohammad and Joseph Smith rejected the Trinity and denied the ultimate divinity of Jesus. I’m sure there are other similarities as well. We had a discussion on Islam last night at my parish, and I was struck by how much Joseph Smith seemed to be like Mohammad.

I am so glad I became Catholic!

Both lived in a time when religious unity among the people they knew was non-existent.

Was religious unity non-existant in America at that time??

His answer? An angel from heaven comes and gives him a book which would united the differing Christian groups and restore the true gospel.

Well, Joseph Smith certainly didn’t unite many. There was no sea change in US religion because of Joseph Smith.

Muhammad, on the other hand…well, he and his followers changed about half the known world at the time.

We had a discussion on Islam last night at my parish, and I was struck by how much Joseph Smith seemed to be like Mohammad.

I have to say, I see almost no similiarity whatsoever. Muhammad was a capable leader whose influence actually changed the world.

Joseph Smith led a small band of followers to exile, and was himself killed by an angry mob.

I just don’t see any honest comparison at all.

Mohammed and Joseph Smith were on opposite extremes as far as the nature of God is concerned. Mohammed was a strict monotheist and Joseph Smith was a polytheist.

I dont see much either in ways of comparison. Some obvious things- but on the whole, I have to say Pro-universal’s comments here are pretty valid.

Actually when anyone is really trying to find a comparison with any religion they are likely to find something even something obscure that is simmilar with any two mainstream religions, but this is meaningless.

THe key is in looking at the whole enchilada and not the toppings.

I am glad that you are not a Mormon. It works both ways.

zerinus

good old amgid spreading love and cheer.:smiley:

Mohammed and Joseph Smith both instituted polygamy as a part of their “restored religions”.

Both used their prophetic status to bed very young girls.

Both taught that the bible was corrupted, and needed a new scripture to correct or replace it.

Joseph Smith declared:

I will be to this generation a second Mohammed, whose
motto in treating for peace was “the Alcoran [Koran]
or the Sword.” So shall it eventually be with us –
“Joseph Smith or the Sword!”

The parallels are truly amazing. Satan had more than one prophet on more than one continent.

Paul

Just a note: Muhammad severely restricted polygamy. He did not institute it, as it was already standard practice long before Muhammad was born.

Both taught that the bible was corrupted, and needed a new scripture to correct or replace it.

Joseph Smith declared:

The parallels are truly amazing. Satan had more than one prophet on more than one continent.

Paul

Talk about a stretch

Sorry, but Muhammad did undoubtedly (whether you like him or not) change the world.

Joseph Smith may have fancied himself such a man, but he clearly was not.

Another one: both Muhammed and Joseph Smith were considered by their followers to be to poorly educated to have produced their miraculous scriptures - therefore the books must be true.

However, Muhammed did not write the Quran. His followers, after his death, wrote down the things he was heard to say.

Joseph Smith did not write the Book of Mormon. Sydney Rigdon did that. Joseph was supposed to be the fromt man for the BOM, and Sydney was supposed to be the leader of the church. Sydney underestimated the strength of Joseph’s personality. When it became obvious that Sydney was not going to be the “prophet” of the LDS church, he left and started his own less successful cult.

Yawn.

This is the most bare similarity. Might as well mention that both Muhammad and Joseph Smith ate food, just like Jesus.

I guess that means they were both Gods…after all, God ate, drank, and slept, and so did Muhammad and Joseph Smith.

Amazing similiarity!

Any guesses on why Mormonism doesn’t seem to have been as successful as Mohammedanism? Granted it isn’t nearly as old so you have to take that into account… but I think that even by the time 200 years or so had passed Mo’s cult probably had way more followers than Joseph Smith’s does right now.

The reason is that Islam spread through wars of conquest, whereas Mormonism is spreading in the same way that early Christianity did—by the witnessing of its preachers. I don’t say this to denigrate Islam. In those days wars of conquest was a national pastime. It was not considered anything immoral. And to be fair to Moslems, they were a lot fairer and humane in their wars of conquest than their neighbours (including Christians) had been. Nevertheless it remains a fact that Islam spread through wars of conquest, whereas early Christianity spread through the preaching the word of God; which explains why Christianity initial spread was slower compared to Islam, but ultimately it gained greater ground. There are more Christians around today than there are Moslems. Mormonism is spreading in the same way, and the prophecies are that it will yet gain grater ground than both, and I believe those prophecies to be true.

zerinus

Seems to me each new step get a little smaller.

Elvis wasn’t Sinatra, and the Beatles weren’t Elvis.

Anyone know where I stole that quote?

No one is going to like my guess here. And I cant be totally honest without lacking charity. Its a trick question, but- My guess is that at the very least Mormon Wives had a better escape plan than our unfortunate muslim conterparts that may not like it one bit after all is said and done.

The women in the Mormon cult have better ways of getting out, and no threat of hubbie saying “I divorce you” or whatever 3 times facing Mecca for it to be done.

Granted Muslims here must go through the “legal” manuvers here, but not in Islam dominated worlds where men do what men do, therefore it is a compelling religion for a man to convert to…:rolleyes:

Mohammed and Joseph Smith both instituted polygamy as a part of their “restored religions”.

same techniques :smiley: an angel told me, Bible corruption, low morality.

[quote]Joseph Smith declared:

I** will be to this generation a second Mohammed**
[/quote]

it says it all. No comment.

The differences are just as incredable. Mormans don’t crash planes into office buildings full of workers, Mormons don’t get on a bus full of people and blow themselves and the bus to bits, Mormons don’t blow up trains loaded with people, Mormons don’t behead people just because they are not Mormon, Mormons have never threatened to kill the pope. Mormons want to convert the world by talking you into joining them not be threatening to kill you if you don’t.

America wasn’t an oppresive regime to its people, and it wasn’t teaming with dirt poor miserable people. Muhammed came at the right time, most living in the Arabian peninsula and Middle East were poor living under brutally oppressive kings and rulers. They gladly welcomed Muhammed and his revolution. Like it or not but these folks were willing to discard Christianity and welcome Islam, it appealed to them, the poor masses. The Christian and pagan rulers were essentially a heirarchy of elitist kings getting rich off the poor. It was all about timing. Had Joseph Smith spread his message in another when, who knows where it would have gone.

To those that said Mormons weren’t militant, well they need to read their history. Joseph Smith was their prophet and general to the Mormon army. The Mountain Meadows Massacre occured due to the militant climate of imminent war between Jackson and the Mormons. Read on the Danites etc…Everything was not rosey for the Mormons.

Most Muslims don’t either. Many Mormon fringe groups are violent. While they may not be attached to the LDS Church, they are followers of Joseph Smith. Some of the polygamist groups have a history of murdering members of opposing groups.

Maybe most Muslims don’t support terrorism, I don’t know. I do know that most terrorist are Muslim, therfore I don’t trust any Muslims until they prove they are trustworthy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.