Mormonism 'cult' claim vanishes from Graham site

A Billy Graham Evangelistic Association article labeling Mormonism a cult has been removed from the group’s website following the 93-year-old televangelist’s meeting with the Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney last week.

Graham pledged to do “all I can” to help Romney get elected during the meeting
The Citizen-Times at 4:56 p.m. on Thursday captured the article, which said cults are “Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormons, the Unification Church, Unitarians, Spiritists, Scientologists, and others.”

More......

citizen-times.com/article/20121015/NEWS/310150041/Mormonism-cult-claim-vanishes-from-Graham-site?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFrontpage

I wonder if they'll replace them if Romney loses? Right now, he's the only game in town if you're right-wing Conservative.

History has shown that religion and pollitics often make cozy bedfellows. I have the greatest respect for Rev. Graham, but the LDS cult is still a cult. You Mormonphobes shouldn't be worried that they are going to take over the government if one gets into the White House. You should be more concerned about us Catholics. We are the largest denomination in the country as well as in both houses of Congress, and have 6 members on the Supreme Court.along with 2 Jews and a lonely Protestant.

[quote="Jack_726, post:3, topic:302473"]
History has shown that religion and pollitics often make cozy bedfellows. I have the greatest respect for Rev. Graham, but the LDS cult is still a cult. You Mormonphobes shouldn't be worried that they are going to take over the government if one gets into the White House. You should be more concerned about us Catholics. We are the largest denomination in the country as well as in both houses of Congress, and have 6 members on the Supreme Court.along with 2 Jews and a lonely Protestant.

[/quote]

How many of those Catholic Congresspeople and Supreme Court justices are practicing, docile Catholics, and how many are Catholics in name only?

God bless the Rev. Billy Graham, who at 93 years old, is not resting in front of the television set, but is still fighting as best as he knows how for the cause of God's Kingdom. Pres. Barack Obama is the most pro-abortion POTUS in modern history, and to re-elect him is to say "Yes" to the culture of death condemned by Pope John Paul II. Gov. Romney may not be the "perfect" candidate for many of us, but he is at least representing a political party that has "right to life" as part of its Party Platform. Many evangelical Protestants will listen to and respect Billy Graham's opinions.

[quote="Seeker1961, post:2, topic:302473"]
Right now, he's the only game in town if you're a right-wing Conservative.

[/quote]

Right now, he's the only game in town if you're a main-stream Christian.

Fixed. :D

[quote="Cat, post:4, topic:302473"]
How many of those Catholic Congresspeople and Supreme Court justices are practicing, docile Catholics, and how many are Catholics in name only?

God bless the Rev. Billy Graham, who at 93 years old, is not resting in front of the television set, but is still fighting as best as he knows how for the cause of God's Kingdom. Pres. Barack Obama is the most pro-abortion POTUS in modern history, and to re-elect him is to say "Yes" to the culture of death condemned by Pope John Paul II. Gov. Romney may not be the "perfect" candidate for many of us, but he is at least representing a political party that has "right to life" as part of its Party Platform. Many evangelical Protestants will listen to and respect Billy Graham's opinions.

[/quote]

And by his own admission abortion is not on his agenda .so voting for him does what exactly? It doesn't further the pro-life cause at all if nothing is going to change! The platform doesn't mean anything if the candiate already intends to ignore it.

If you agree with Romney on the economy or foreign policy, I can understand it-but if you're voting for him because of abortion as a single issue then I think you will be sorely disappointed.

As for the evangelicals, I find the sudden turn on Mormonism humorous. The ONLY reason they're doing it is because of Romney. Had Santorum won the nomination do you really think this would have occurred? It's completely transparent that it's purely politically motivated.

[quote="JustaServant, post:1, topic:302473"]
A Billy Graham Evangelistic Association article labeling Mormonism a cult has been removed from the group’s website following the 93-year-old televangelist’s meeting with the Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney last week.

The Citizen-Times at 4:56 p.m. on Thursday captured the article, which said cults are “Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormons, the Unification Church, Unitarians, Spiritists, Scientologists, and others.”

More......

citizen-times.com/article/20121015/NEWS/310150041/Mormonism-cult-claim-vanishes-from-Graham-site?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFrontpage

[/quote]

That is a big deal. A big shift in attitude...
The anti-Mormon sentiment has been very very strong in the evangelical community for a VERY long time. I remember running into it ALL the time.

Rev Graham's move will soften many hearts ....

[quote="Jack_726, post:3, topic:302473"]
You should be more concerned about us Catholics. We are the largest denomination in the country as well as in both houses of Congress, and have 6 members on the Supreme Court.along with 2 Jews and a lonely Protestant.

[/quote]

I'm not worried at all about Catholic in government - as long as they are truly Catholic. It's the psudo-Catholics in government that worry me.

[quote="benjohnson, post:8, topic:302473"]
I'm not worried at all about Catholic in government - as long as they are truly Catholic. It's the psudo-Catholics in government that worry me.

[/quote]

I wasn't including the Pelosiniks and Bidenites. Anyway, I was only jerking your chain. There is plenty of dissention among us Catholics on numerous political and social issues to cause much worry about a Catholilc takeover of the U. S. government. Catholic factions been quarreling with each other for years, like the Franscisans vs. the Dominicans vs. the Jesuits, etc. etc. This internal turmoil has kept our wonderful Church alive and vibrant over the centuries. It's no different in the U. S. Congress.

Discussion of political candidates is restricted to the World News forum

Stick with the OP and keep the politics to WN.

[quote="Seeker1961, post:2, topic:302473"]
I wonder if they'll replace them if Romney loses? Right now, he's the only game in town if you're right-wing Conservative.

[/quote]

Tell that to the Virgil Goode supporters on here.

[quote="Seeker1961, post:6, topic:302473"]
And by his own admission abortion is not on his agenda .so voting for him does what exactly? It doesn't further the pro-life cause at all if nothing is going to change! The platform doesn't mean anything if the candiate already intends to ignore it.

If you agree with Romney on the economy or foreign policy, I can understand it-but if you're voting for him because of abortion as a single issue then I think you will be sorely disappointed.

As for the evangelicals, I find the sudden turn on Mormonism humorous. The ONLY reason they're doing it is because of Romney. Had Santorum won the nomination do you really think this would have occurred? It's completely transparent that it's purely politically motivated.

[/quote]

Abortion comes into the discussion because this is a Catholic forum.

Overall, the election has been and was always going to be about the economy whether it's fair or not.

Regarding statements on abortion, both candidates are moving the center as they do in any campaign.

The democrats know they can't level with the American people because they would lose most races if they laid out their real agenda.

And conservative candidates can have beltway consultants and managers who actually have a tendency to believe the garbage they hear in the main-stream media and tell their guys and gals you have to campaign as anything but a conservative.

So it shouldn't surprise anyone that October debates and statements are for the center, even though there seem to be shades of scandal around.

From the OP -

I've mentioned this a couple of times before on this forum, but my "old Protestant pastor"", whom I've often quoted on this website, thought that an American politician would be the änti-Christ" and that the Mormon temple in Salt Lake City would become the devil's cathedral.

When he made predictions, I found he was usually right, from experience, although it took time for these things to happen. I've quoted some of them.

Yet he rarely talked about "last days" stuff as most of it comes from America, and he usually found it "a bit weird".

Romney was not the politician he had in mind, but I find it interesting that there's a distinct possibility that you may wind up with a Mormon president. If you do, Mormonism is suddenly going to gain a lot of "respectability" amongst those members of the American public who don't know or care about "Truth"". And you've already got even someone like Billy Graham removing the quote about Mormonism being a cult from his website, in a blatantly political move.

No doubt there are Catholic Bishops who want Romney to win, or more accurately want Obama not to win.

But it also goes hand in glove with the pastor's parallel comment that he thought a particular Australian politician would be our "king" (one of the 10 'kings' of Revelation). "But" he added, when he was making this comment circa 1990/91 (he died himself in 1992), "I don't see all these things happening till he's in his seventies".

The particular Australian politician he had in mind is now 73.

Interesting. As I said the old pastor was usually right. And the USA is the only country which could impose a world wide dictatorship if it wanted to.

[quote="benjohnson, post:8, topic:302473"]

[/quote]

Amen to that. They are an embarrassment to me and a scandal to our Church.

Actually not all main stream or mainline Christians are pro-life, not even all Catholics are pro-life as we should be.

Please write your own opinions and do not “fix” those of others.

HERE FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT DON'T READ THE DICTIONARY EVER....

cult
kult ]

religion: a system of religious or spiritual beliefs, especially an informal and transient belief system regarded by others as misguided, unorthodox, extremist, or false, and directed by a charismatic, authoritarian leader
religious group: **a group of people who share religious or spiritual beliefs**, especially beliefs regarded by others as misguided, unorthodox, extremist, or false
**idolization of somebody or something: an extreme or excessive admiration for a person, philosophy of life, or activity**

Many, many groups are CULTS.. Including Catholics

[quote="andrewstx, post:16, topic:302473"]
Actually not all main stream or mainline Christians are pro-life, not even all Catholics are pro-life as we should be.

[/quote]

I didn't mention anything about pro-life but, yeah, just another reason mainline Christians have only one real choice.

[quote="Seeker1961, post:17, topic:302473"]
Please write your own opinions and do not "fix" those of others.

[/quote]

Sorry. I was kinda joking, but your original comment seemed almost insulting to us right wing automatons. ;)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.