Mormonism: Dieter F. Uchtdorf "Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith"...

Wise counsel or not?

I say not. I say it’s an incredibly immature and dangerous way of dealing with the very human experience of doubt. I say, God can handle ANY doubt. So never doubt them. Explore them, and let God lead you. He can handle any doubt you have. Any and every doubt you have.

God is no weakling and is not bother by any doubt you bring to Him. Not a one./

I say, Take every doubt one has to the Lord Himself. Dont be afraid of your doubts, and dont even doubt them.

Take them to the Lord

I wouldn’t give as advice what you quoted Uchtdorf as saying, but neither would I say, “Don’t doubt your doubts.” Some people trust far too much in their own knowledge, intelligence, and wisdom, and need to learn how to doubt themselves in order to trust others, and thus open themselves to new vistas.

You can read the talk from which this quote is taken here.

If you don’t want to read the whole thing, scroll down to “To those who leave,” and read the context surrounding that quote.

Too often, when we are members of a belief system that is targeted by those who hate (and yes, Catholics, I’m talking to you, here, too…you know all the anti-Catholic clap trap out there), we are tempted to go to the wrong folks when we have questions. Rather than going to our own leaders and our own sources to find the answers, we find ourselves being taken in by those whose first and only goal, in talking to us, is to destroy us. You know these people: Jack Chick and his clones…even such surprising folks as Andrew Cuomo and Jaimie Stiehm, a writer for US News and World Report.

These folks are not out to help you resolve your doubts; their entire purpose is to expand them and make you doubt more. YOU know what your doubts and questions are; you better than anybody. Only if they simply cannot be answered by your own should you go elsewhere…and that’s what is meant by 'doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith."

Never leave your faith because someone is playing to your doubts. Leave only if someone else has so profound a truth to offer you that you leave with gratitude to your present belief for the way it prepared you to accept further truth from God.

So yes, Elder Uchtdorf is right. doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith.

Anyone who has, like I once did, walked into a Catholic church and yelled and screamed at God and told Him how unfair He is and demanded answers to his questions (and then got them, and more) just laughs at the counsel to “doubt your doubts”.

Again, this comes from Mormons not having a clue about the bible. Do they not know that the name “Israel” means “wrestles with God”?

For the faithful, that is our “Indian name” - “Wrestles with God”.

Is that why the faithful are always called Israel?

I think God is never more pleased than when we care enough to wrestle with Him. Because He always wins; and then so do we.

Paul (formerly LDS, now happily Catholic)

God can hold yes. truly He CAN.

God bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.