Mormons and Easter

My brother in law and his family are Mormon. I understand that Mormons believe that when they die, they can become gods of their own worlds and that Jesus is the God is this world. If this is the case, what purpose does the death and resurrection have for them? Do they believe that they all will have to “save” their worlds from sin the way Jesus did us?

I am asking this because my nephew has a gymnastics tournament on Easter Sunday and instead of obstaining to celebrate the solemnity of Easter, they are participating which seemed wrong to me since they claim “christian” yet are treating it like just another weekend day. Thanks.

Samantha :confused:

I live in Utah.

Every single year on Ash Wednesday I have to explain to Mormons why “there’s something on my forehead.”

Every single year I have to explain Lent.

Every single year I, like yourself, wonder why Easter is treated no differently than other days…aside from the obligatory church egg hunt, of course :rolleyes:

The more difficult part is helping them understand why they are not viewed as Christian. Some are at least receptive, whether or not they agree. Most shut down and refuse to be “persecuted.”

If “persecution” is the same as disagreement, then it looks like everyone is God’s chosen people (“the true faith”) because people disagree with everyone on a daily basis.

Here is a link about Mormon (Latter-day Saint) Easter celebrations:
lds.about.com/od/ldsholidays/a/easter_celebrations.htm

Easter IS celebrated by the LDS church, but it’s certainly not as big a deal as it is in the Catholic Church. There is no special traditions related to Easter but they may have a special musical number or something during their sacrament meeting. I’d even dare to say that their celebration of Easter is largely cultural instead of spiritual. There certainly isn’t any concept of lent/holy week/etc.

I’m actually surprised that they’re participating in something like that on a Sunday at all- Most LDS people do not participate in any sort of sport or competition on Sundays; they’re pretty strict with keeping the Sabbath Day Holy and whatnot.

As for the first part of your question, they’ll get to decide how they go about getting their spirit children bodies. Remember, Jesus to the LDS Church did NOT become God when he made his sacrifice for us, He more or less just became God’s “second in command”.

For us the resurrection is the reuniting of the spirit with an incorruptible body. While on earth the body is subject to decay and death. However, at the resurrection this corruptible body will be incorruptible and will reunite with our spirit.

The resurrection does not equate with the righteous becoming gods. If man may one day become perfect it will be an extreemly long time after the resurrection.

It is celebrated but not overly so. And often times it falls on General Conference weekend, which is given far more focus and priority. At least that was the case when I lived in Provo.

Easter and Christmas are the only two “traditional Christian” holidays we celebrate, so I’m surprised you’ve gotten that impression.

I’m also taken aback by your brother-in-law’s attitude toward the gymnastic event. We take keeping the Sabbath holy very seriously, and when I was growing up I often had to miss sporting events when they fell on a Sunday. Though, of course, it’s not like you’ll be excommunicated for breaking it. Sometimes, also, events are so important that they can’t be passed up. Unless my kid was about to get some kind of scholarship for his gymnastics, I would’ve told him to sit this one out. But that’s just my $0.02 :slight_smile:

It almost seems like you are asking two separate and almost unrelated questions. El Confundido did a reasonable job on the Sunday gymnastics question. Your other question

Mormons largely do not teach the doctrine of God-hood any more, although I have little doubt a great deal of the church still believes in it. They now refer to “eternal progression” which essentially serves as a somewhat ambiguous euphemism for the aforementioned doctrine. Although it’s never really been a “doctrine” but grandiose ramblings of former church leaders. Some versions of this concept do have Mormons acting as “saviors” on a future world. Others have faithful members of the church going straight to acting in the capacity of God the Father.

I remember when I first became LDS, I was hanging out with some LDS friends and one of them mentioned that Good Friday was a holiday and we should all go to 6 Flags Amusement Park. I was shocked that they would do something like that on Good Friday. LDS may worship on Easter Sunday, but they do not hold reverent Holy Week.

We don’t teach it anymore? That’s news to me.

I suspect that has much to do with our emphasis on the resurrection compared to the crucifixion, as well as our understanding of the role of the Agony in the Garden in the entire atonement.

Yes…I understand your need to party and frolic on the day our Lord died.

See, we, too, honor and praise His resurrection.

But we do not see the day He died as a day to party.

Be Blessed

Not knowing the individuals whom you speak of, personally, I can’t attest to their motivation in going to Six Flags on Good Friday. You seem to assume that they decided so positively because it was Good Friday (which may or may not be the case). Personally, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

There is not much to doubt. I was informed, when I asked, that Good Friday is not an important day in the LDS Church. It was not important to honor the day He died.

Yes I’ve noticed that LDS don’t really hold Christ’s crucifixion in high regard, laying down ones life for ones friends is pretty low on the list of things to be remembered.

This is because they place emphasis on the agony in the garden believing Jesus wept blood, not wept like blood.:slight_smile:

Welcome back Parker!

Please explain. Parker nowhere posts on this cite. I know of Parker from past postings. How does this relate to the OP and why did you post this here?

One of the posters on this thread writes like Parker. But, I could be wrong.

I’ve heard that there are some religions that have a practice of not attending a service on Easter Sunday.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.