Mormons and government

I read the Mormon articles of faith and their explanations on icubed.com/~rpoe/mormcred.htm
The woman who created this site is a former Mormon.

[quote]Article 10: We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

The Mormons believe the lost tribes of Israel will be gather at a place outside of Independence, Missouri. This “New Jerusalem” will become the capital of the gentiles, and the tribe of Judah will be governed secondarily from the original Jerusalem. There will at that time begin a millennial age ruled by Mormons. They also believe that Mormons must take over the govenment of the United State when it is imperiled./

QUOTE]

Can anyone clarify what the bolded section of the quote actually means?
Thanks

ND SMC
[/quote]

There is a belief within the LDS Church that at a time of crisis in the United States, specifically at a time when “the constitution is hanging from a thread”, a Mormon will step forward and restore constitutional governance to the nation. Some anti-Mormons take this in a jaundiced way as implying that Mormons have ‘designs’ to create a Mormon theocracy. Former LDS sometimes are especially prone to make fantastic charges against Mormonism. This is sad and unnecesary.

One can just as easily take particular quotes from certain Catholic writers and imply that the RCC is seeking to take control of America. “The Menace” and a number of other anti-Catholic publications, clear into the 1950’s and 1960’s, did just exactly that. One should take such claims with a grain of salt, and look more closely at the evidence.

From what we know of Mormons, they are loyal, patriotic citizens who have served this nation in various capacities ably and well. NO serious evidence exists that they have designs to overthrow the government.

I don’t for a moment believe that Mormons have plans to overthrow the gov’t. But, considering that they set up what appears to me to be a theocracy out in Utah in the mid- to late 19th century, and that theocracy had to be brick-by-brick dismantled by the federal gov’t prior to statehood, suggests to me that they favor that type of gov’t, or at least the 19th century Mormons did. Our Constitution wouldn’t be compatible with any type of theocracy.

Then again, maybe my knowledge of early Mormon history out in the West is too sketchy, so I am open to correction.

The Mormons don’t intend to overthrow the U.S. government. They actually teach that God established the United States in order to provide a free and religiously tolerant climate in which the full gospel could be restored. The constitution has always been a sacred document to Mormons, as it should be to all of us.

I have little affection for the LDS church, but as to the sacred character of the U.S. and its constitution, we are in full agreement.

God bless,
Paul

Can anyone clarify what the bolded section of the quote actually means?
Thanks

ND SMC

It means “Romney for President!”

Putting it gently, they don’t believe in separation of church and state. As for religious freedom, that only applies to thier freedom to practice their religion. Remember, all other religions are of the devil. We must keep in mind, however, that all of them do not put things together that way.

It means “Romney for President!”

Precisely.

That is the impression I get from reading about Mormon early history. They set up a theocracy out in Utah. There was no dividing line between the LDS church and the civil authorities. I don’t know whether Mormons today still approve of that type of gov’t. But, if they do, then they are CLEARLY out of step with the U.S. Constitution.

i would point to nauvoo as the first “theocracy” of the mormons and in their minds it fit quite nicely with the u.s. constitution. Kirtland was probably the first forays down that path.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.