Mormons and Mary

I am involved with a lengthy email debate with a Mormon. I’m feel it is important to support her search for God, but to give a strong account of my own faith without being offensive.

On the question of Our Lady, she has concerns over the Original Sin issue which I have dealt with, however, in explaining that as God’s Mother Mary was chosen by God as special, my Mormon friend has stated:

I don’t think Mary was the mother of God. I believe that she was the earthly mother of God’s son. I’m a bit confused with your belief. You believe that in the mysteries of God he could also sort of split his being? So that he could be the living Christ, God the Father, and the Holy Ghost, all at the same time?

My understanding is that this is exactly what we believe- that God is manifest to us in three ways, but I would appreciate some help in putting it across!

Also

can we agree that even if Mary was born without OS she still wan’t perfect. She made mistakes like the rest of us yes?

I would be interested in any help you could give me- I am eager to give good account and anxious I will let God down!!

Thanks & God Bless

Dear FF,

It must be remembered that ordinarily Mormons don’t see God only as pure spirit. (Although, they also have a belief in God as a pure spirit as well.) They have a very human-like notion of God. Their reasoning is that God must look like man since Scripture says that man is made in God’s image and likeness. (Catholics see this resemblance as a spiritual one.) They see the Father as a man with a body who actually had sexual intercourse with Mary and thus begot Jesus. So it’s not surprising that your friend would have difficulty with our understanding of Mary. It’s also not surprising that she has difficulty with the Incarnation. She thinks that we are splitting the physical person of Jesus in two. Mormons do not believe in the Trinity. Jesus and the “Holy Ghost” are two separate, subordinate gods.

Mormons use many of the same names as we, but mean entirely different things by them. For them, God the Father was once a human being who later became a god just as all of us will. However, of all the many gods there are, the “Heavenly Father” is the God of this world that Mormons are expected to worship.

To answer your last question, certainly Mary could make mistakes. But she could not sin.

I encourage you to get a copy of “Inside Mormonism” by Isaiah Bennett. Otherwise you won’t know how your friend is hearing you. It can be ordered through the catalogue on our main website or by phone: 888 291 8000.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.