Mormons and the Bible

What do the Mormons believe about the Bible?
Do they use it at all or believe it to be the Word of God?

If so, how do they believe it came into existence?

I just figured out one of my friends is Mormon, and it’s kind of exciting(and it’s a misfortune). I finally get to use my apologetics knowledge I have been gathering!

Of course they believe that the early Church was corrupt. If so, then what do they believe about the authenticity of the Bible?*** THE EARLY CHURCH FORMED THE BIBLE***
How could they even use it?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

From the Mormon Church’s official website and from their Articles of Faith:

[quote=Articles of Faith]8. We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
[/quote]

Also, here is some information from their Gospel Topics library:

[quote=Gospel Topics Library]The Bible is the word of God. It is a witness for God and Jesus Christ. Members of the Church are encouraged to study it and follow its teachings. The Church uses many translations of the Bible in various languages. In English, the King James Version is used as the official Bible of the Church.
[/quote]

See more from their Gospel Topics Library here:

lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=bbd508f54922d010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&index=2&sourceId=0e6639b439c98010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____

See also this Mormon Encyclopedia link:

eom.byu.edu/index.php/Bible

Hope all this helps! You might also try Wikipedia or something. :thumbsup:

Hi
I am LDS. Yep this is correct.

As you know, the council of Hippo I think it was, put together what we now know of as the bible from many manuscripts available. The process was not perfect, but it was what it was.

I personally have found no conflicts between the bible and our doctrine, but I believe that there is much truth that is not in the bible. It is very general, vague, and gives hints at other doctrines which I believe were practiced by early christians.

We believe that the Book of Mormon is also the word of God as well as some other scriptures we have which were revealed through the prophet Joseph Smith.

Those other scriptures are called the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price.

But if the Church was in apostasy how could it create the valid canon (even though the KJV doesn’t have all of the books of the Bible)?

Well, in my opinion, the bible does not have all the books it should- and neither does yours. There are many that didn’t make it. Here are some:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Books_of_the_Bible_and_the_Forgotten_Books_of_Eden

Not all of these should have been canonized, but possibly some might have been. I have read most and there are dozens others. I picked wikipedia because it is perhaps somewhat neutral, but obviously there are problems with it.

Anyway, the council picked the ones it picked for its own reasons.

Incidentally, we don’t believe the church was “totally corrupt”. The name of Jesus Christ and the central message of him being our savior was retained and spread througout the earth. It’s just that much was lost, and the priesthood authority was lost.

That is pretty much our belief.

I think we accept the bible not because the Catholic church accepted it, but really those texts were pretty much all that was left to be passed to history. After a fire, you scrape through the ruins to find what you can of value. You don’t thank the arsonist for preserving what was left.

And the bible is what we have left.

Of course the Catholic Church preserved the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Why do you think the Bible exists in the first place?

And a mormon or anyone else has yet to prove that priesthood authority was lost. That is just plain ignorance.

(You sure have swallowed a whole lot of bs in order to come up with this post.)

The Mormon Church has always maintained that the Bible is hopelessly corrupt and untrustworthy:

From The Book of Mormon:

1 Nephi 13:
24 And the angel of the Lord said unto me: Thou hast beheld that the book proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew; and when it proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew it contained the fulness of the gospel of the Lord, of whom the twelve apostles bear record; and they bear record according to the truth which is in the Lamb of God.

25 Wherefore, these things go forth from the Jews in purity unto the Gentiles, according to the truth which is in God.

26 And after they go forth by the hand of the twelve apostles of the Lamb, from the Jews unto the Gentiles, thou seest the formation of that great and abominable church, which is most abominable above all other churches; for behold, they have taken away from the gospel of the Lamb many parts which are plain and most precious; and also many covenants of the Lord have they taken away.

27 And all this have they done that they might pervert the right ways of the Lord, that they might blind the eyes and harden the hearts of the children of men.

28 Wherefore, thou seest that after the book hath gone forth through the hands of the great and abominable church, that there are many plain and precious things taken away from the book, which is the book of the Lamb of God.

29 And after these plain and precious things were taken away it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles; and after it goeth forth unto all the nations of the Gentiles, yea, even across the many waters which thou hast seen with the Gentiles which have gone forth out of captivity, thou seest—because of the many plain and precious things which have been taken out of the book, which were plain unto the understanding of the children of men, according to the plainness which is in the Lamb of God—because of these things which are taken away out of the gospel of the Lamb, an exceedingly great many do stumble, yea, insomuch that Satan hath great power over them.

The above passage claims that the bible we have now is not the same bible written by the prophets and apostles. Many of the “plain and precious parts” were taken away by the “great and abominable Church”. Why? “that they might blind the eyes and harden the hearts of the children of men.” (1 Ne:13:27)

Verse 29 states that those who believe the bible with the plain and precious parts deliberately removed by the great and abominable church stumble so that Satan has great power over them.

Continued…

Bible corruption continued…

What do the modern LDS prophets and apostles say?

President Ezra Taft Benson wrote of

“the Bible, which passed through generations of copyists, translators and corrupt religionists who tampered with the text”
(Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, pg. 53).

Joseph Fielding Smith, Jr., popular LDS author and son of the tenth president of the church, said

“The early ‘Apostate Fathers’ did not think it was wrong to tamper with inspired scripture. If any scripture seemed to endanger their viewpoint, it was altered, transplanted or completely removed from the Biblical text” (Religious Truths Defined, p.175).

Apostle Mark E. Peterson casts doubt on the reliability of the Bible and states forcefully that the corruption was intentional:

“Many insertions were made, some of them ‘slanted’ for selfish purposes, while at times deliberate falsifications and fabrications were perpetrated”
(As Translated Correctly, p.4).

“It is evident then that many of the ‘plain and precious’ things were omitted from the Bible by failure to choose all of the authentic books for inclusion, and by deliberate changes, deletions and forgeries …”
(As Translated Correctly, p.14).

The encyclopedia of Mormonism:

“Thus, the elements of mistranslation, incompleteness, and other errors weaken the Bible”
(Encyclopedia of Mormonism , Vol. 1, Bible).

Again we can see from this small sample of quotes how the conviction that the bible is corrupt and untrustworthy starts with The Book of Mormon (“the most correct book on earth” and “the keystone of our religion”) and continues to pervade Mormon thinking and writing throughout their history.

Grace to you all,
Paul

I believe the following words can tell you a story

He commandeth that there shall be no priestcrafts; for, behold, priestcrafts are that men preach and set themselves up for a light unto the world, that they may get gain and praise of the world; but they seek not the welfare of Zion.
That they may be conferred upon us, it is true; but when we undertake to cover our sins, or to gratify our pride, our vain ambition, or to exercise control or dominion or compulsion upon the souls of the children of men, in any degree of unrighteousness, behold, the heavens withdraw themselves; the Spirit of the Lord is grieved; and when it is withdrawn, Amen to the priesthood or the authority of that man.

Personally, I believe God is all-powerful and doesn’t require perfect men and perfect institutions to achieve his aims.

… and to your point above, there’s no proof that the RCC Bible contains all the books that God thinks it ought to contain.

Paul

If the Bible was still in its original state would we be having these differences of opinions ?

In your opinion has the bible been interpreted and passed down with all the necessary doctrine and saving ordanances for one to return to God should they read it on its own ?

Ah, another insult. I’m sensing a pattern.

The onus on The Church of Jesus Christ, LDS proving that authority was lost is not greater than that of the RCC proving that authority resides therein - which, for that matter, no one has proved either… though I won’t call you ignorant because of it.

They thought the Bible will be incomplete without Joseph Smith’s books, like the Book of Mormons.

You provide 4 sources and claim that pervades Mormon thinking and writing?

I’ve probably read more LDS books in the past year than you’ll read in a lifetime. Biblical trustworthiness is, not only not pervasive, I don’t think it is even mentioned in any of the books or scholarly papers I’ve read recently. Not that authors or leaders haven’t had opinions or written about it, but it is hardly pervasive in thought and writing.

I typically attend, at minimum, three Church meetings a week. I cannot recall the last time I heard anyone in any such meeting talk about the “un” trustworthiness of the Bible.

I know that some LDS scholars are working on a book that has something to do with BIble transmission and interpolation but beyond that, off hand, I can’t think of an LDS book in my library that even chronicles well know difficulties in Bible transmission.

I know of plenty of non-LDS books and papers however that detail the issues of biblical transmission, editing and redaction.

I am LDS and pretty orthodox. I don’t think that the Bible is incomplete. I think it has all the books in it that the compilers of the Bible wanted it to have - to the extent that were such things as compilers.

Wow… many different opinions from different Mormons in this ONE thread!

I wish we had a Church to teach us the truth! OH, we do! Which one? Let’s get historical. It’s the Catholic Church. Let’s get biblical. It’s the Catholic Church.

But that Church just fell into apostasy! :shrug: But that goes against Jesus’ words “…and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it[the Church]”. Paul even said the Church is the “pillar and bulwark of truth”.

What we have here again with Mormonism is different opinions among themselves on the Bible. My Mormon friend says that the bible has one to many contradictions in it to be fully true therefore they use the perfect unchanged BoM. Although I have asked him to show and explain these contradictions he has not and usually changes the topic:shrug: Wouldn’t J. Smith and all the authority given to him be able to restore the written word of God?

lol, OK. The BoM is neither perfect or unchanged. There are thousands of changes, some minor grammar change, other doctrinal changes as Joseph Smith’s views moved from Trinitarianism to henotheism.

One year? I was a very active adult LDS for 11 years including a full-time mission in Taiwan. I have read more LDS books than you could possibly have read in one year. Have you only been LDS for one year? That would explain a lot.

How do you explain your scriptures, prophets and apostles saying that the bible is corrupt and untrustworthy? Would you like some more examples? I love to quote the Mormon GAs and scriptures.

Exactly!:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.