Mormons and their Gods???

Ok, so I am going to admit that I do not know very much about the Mormon faith. That said, I was listening to the radio this morning and a person stated that Mormons are polytheists…ie they believe in multiple gods. Is this the case?

Please note that I do not want to hear what you THINK you know but what you can actually prove.

Cheers!

Hi
I think it would be more useful if some Mormon writes a post about MormonGod and attributes of MormonGod from an authoritative Mormon source.
I am interested.
Thanks
I am an Ahmadi – a peaceful faith in Islam bridging gaps between faiths/denominations/religions/agnostics
The West, as I understand, due to certain disinformation has seen only MullahIslam or MullahShariah; the true face of Muhammad’sIslam and PromisedMessiahImamMahdi’sIslam is yet hidden from their eyes, which is truly speaking only peaceful.

This is what Catholic Answers has to say about it.

catholic.com/library/Gods_of_the_Mormon_Church.asp

To find out more about the LDS Church try one of their websites.

lds.org/portal/site/LDSOrg

Based on what I know, they do believe in a version of polytheism, although they may not define it in this way.

Mormons believe that Father, Son and Holy Ghost are three separate Gods. They also believe God the Father was once a man who had a Father himself. This is from their own website and is from the manual used to teach new converts about the faith:

lds.org/library/display/0,4945,11-1-13-59,00.html

icubed.com/~rpoe/mormcred.htm

This is one section of a old website I stumbled onto yesterday by a former mormon now catholic, who sounds very fair and not bitter at all.

I happened to see this as I was logging off and thought I would share it.

Now, lets see if I can really log off now.:o

As I understand it, they believe (like the PP stated) that God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit are three separate, distinct beings–not God in Three Persons, Blessed Trinity as we believe. I’m also pretty sure that they believe Jesus was created with God and one of his many spiritual wives, and that Jesus and Lucifer were brothers before Lucifer fell from grace.

Mormons are henotheists. Henotheism is the belief in one god, but at the same time does not deny the existence of other gods. It is a variation of polytheism which holds that there are many gods, but one of them is supreme and the other ones are only ancillary and don’t have the same level of “god-ness”. (definition from wiki)They worship one God (the Father) while believing in the existance of other gods. The believe that Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit are distinct from the Father. They believe that God the Father was once a man and attained godhood, just like all the other gods did. They believe Christ is the only begotten Son of the Father (by having intercourse with Mary), so their definition of “begotten” is different from what was established in the early Church. They believe Christ died for our sins, and therefore count themselves among Christians. But since their beliefs are clearly contradictory to basic Christian theology (ie, the Trinity) they should not be referred to as Christians. Mormons believe that mormon men on earth who advance to the highest level will be made gods of their own planet. They will be granted godhood by God. One mormon explained to me that all these other “gods” are made “gods” as a way of becoming part of God’s family.

More info here, here and here.

PS. If you dialogue with LDS, you must always define terms. Mormons use many of the same words – begotten, Godhead, etc, but with entirely different meanings.

Thanks to you all! I have a much better understanding now!

Cheers!!!

Brad

The King Follet Sermon By President Joseph Smith, Sunday, April 7, 1844. History of the Church, Volume 6, page 302.

God An Exalted Man

I will go back to the beginning before the world was, to show what kind of a being God is. God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens! You have got to learn how to be gods yourselves. priests to God, the same as all gods have done before you, namely, by going from one small degree to anot! her, and from a small capacity to a great one; from grace to grace, from exaltation to exaltation

A Council of the Gods

In the beginning, the head of the Gods called a council of the Gods; and they came together and concocted [prepared] a plan to create the world and people it. the word create came from the word baurau, which does not mean to create out of nothing; it means to organize; the same as a man would organize materials and build a ship. Hence we infer that God had materials to organize the world out of chaos - chaotic matter, which is element, and in which dwells all the glory. Element had an existence from the time He had.

The Immortal Intelligence

All learned men and doctors of divinity say that God created it in the beginning; but it is not so: the very idea lessens man in my estimation. I do not believe the doctrine; I know better. Hear it, all ye ends of the world; for God has told me so. The mind or the intelligence which man possesses is coequal [coeternal] with God himself. I know that my testimony is true. There never was a time when there were not spirits; for they are coequal [coeternal] with our Father in heaven. I might with boldness proclaim from the housetops that God never had the power to create the spirit of man at all. God himself could not create himself…Knowledge saves a man; and in the world of spirits no man can be exalted but by knowledge
scsv.nevada.edu/~clarkj5/proph/kingfollet3.html

The Doctrine and Covenants states, “God is a glorified and perfected man, a personage of flesh and bones. Inside his tangible body is an eternal spirit.” (130:22)

Brigham Young wrote, “We cannot believe for a moment that God is destitute of body, parts, passions, or attributes.”

Brigham Young, the second president taught “That God the Father was once a man on another planet who ‘passed the ordeal we are now passing through. . .’”

Brigham Young, Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Brigham Young, (Salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1997)
probe.org/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=771

Joseph Smith’s Changing Doctrine of Deity
VIEWED IN SCRIPTURAL ORDER

The Mormon scriptures are not progressive. Viewed chronologically, beginning from the most ancient period, they move from teaching the plurality of Gods, to monotheism, then back to the plurality of Gods.

2000 B.C. Book of Abraham 4:3-7 Plurality of Gods
600 B.C. to A.D. 400 Book of Mormon Modalistic Alma 11:26-29 Monotheism
A.D. 1830 Early (April 1830) Doctrine & Covenants 20:17, 19, 28 Monotheism
A.D. 1830 - Joseph Smith Translation Modalistic Monotheism
A.D. 1834-1835 Lectures on Faith, 5th Lecture Binatarian Monotheism, or Bitheism
A.D. 1839 Later (March 1839) Doctrine & Covenants 121:26, 28, 32 Possibility of Plurality of gods
A.D. 1839-1843 Doctrine & Covenants 131:17-18; 132:20, 37 Plurality of gods (but unlike in the Book of Abraham)
A.D. 1844 [King Follet Discourse] Plurality of Gods
irr.org/mit/changod.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.