Mormons claim we worship a dead Christ

One of the claims made in the local ward’s sacrament meeting yesterday was that Mormons worship a resurrected, living Christ, but that since we use the crucifix we are worshiping a dead Christ. It seems to me it could be said we worship both the living Christ and the suffering Christ on the cross. To recognize the resurrected Christ while minimizing the crucified, suffering Christ seems to me to ignore one of the essential messages of Christianity. Anyway, Mormons seem to self-righteously claim our use of the cross is wrong.

“For as often as we eat this Bread and drink this Cup,
we proclaim His death until He comes again.”
1 Cor.: 11-26.

The Mormons do not base their faith in Holy Scripture
as it plays second fiddle to the Book of Mormon.

When Mormons say that they worship and focus on the living Christ, they seem to forget that there never would have been a resurrected Christ if there hadn’t have been a suffering, dying Christ first. There is hope even in the darkest of times. That hope is Jesus Christ who suffered, died and rose from the dead. He is truly risen!

Jesus told us to take up our cross and follow Him. He didn’t tell us to take up our empty tomb and follow Him.

I’ve never understood this argument used by many LDS. Catholics and other Christians that wear crosses and crucifixes, or have them in our churches, worship both the crucified Christ and the resurrected Christ. We don’t focus on one over the other (as if they were separate entities).

I wonder if they would say St. Paul worshipped a dead Christ then:

“For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles.” (1 Cor 1:22-23)

:thumbsup: Amen.

Their charge is based on ignorance or worse, Catholics have always professed belief in the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

The depiction of Jesus on a Cross is no more a denial of his resurrection than the depiction of him as a babe in a manger is a denial that he grew up and became a man.

Just to point out - many non-Catholics feel that way, not just Mormons (and it may not be all Mormons who would say this).

My best response to people who have criticized the crucifix on the basis you mention is that the ressurection requires death to precede it, and that we must keep this in mind particularly as a reminder of how our baptism works - in baptism we are born again, but in baptism “the “plunge” into the water symbolizes the catechumen’s burial into Christ’s death, from which he rises up by resurrection with him, as “a new creature.” (CCC 1214)”

That is, we must die before we are reborn, just as Christ died before He ressurected. We can hardly say with St. Paul (in Galatatians 2:20ish) that we are crucified with Christ if we fail to remember the crucifixion. Focusing on the ressurection to the exclusion of the passion runs the twofold risk of ignoring that there is in fact sacrifice required (that we must die to ourselves that we might have life) and of diminishing what exactly it was that God did for us and what we’ve done that He felt it necessary.

To be honest though, I suspect most people who dislike the Crucifix don’t explicitly reject the things it represents, but are just uncomfortable with it. Which is legitimate - it is the image of God allowing Himself to be tortured to death for our sakes, and the Crucifix serves not only as a reminder that God loves us, but also as a reminder of the evil that we have done that led to Christ being tortured. It reminds us of both redemption and sin. And we shouldn’t ever get too comfortable with that last part.

More stuff: thebostonpilot.com/article.asp?ID=6018

Good points there. :thumbsup:

The Cross is uncomfortable. But it also gives hope, because the One on the cross isn’t just a man, but God himself. The cross tells us God isn’t far away in heaven indifferently looking down on us, but he’s there with us! He took and joined to himself all our sufferings. He transforms them. Suffering isn’t pointless anymore, it’s redemptive!

Whenever I’m tempted to think God doesn’t care, I look at the crucifix, and I see his love. I couldn’t imagine living without the cross or forgetting the cross. :nope:

And we mustn’t forget to remind others that we receive a resurrected, glorified Christ in the Eucharist!
And, the Holy Mass is the central act of our faith.

Where did they get that hogwash from? Was it that Italian angel, Moroni?

this is exactly the easter homily that was given yesterday. basically, my priest said that for our christian life, we need a balance of Good friday and easter sunday and it’s not good to focus on just one or the other. don’t get too comfortable that you forget about the suffering and don’t be so stuck in the suffering that you’re not letting the grace of God transform you or give its hope. if there was no crucifixion, there would be no ressurrection and if there was no resurrection, the crucifixion would have been pointless.

How do you know what was said at the local ward’s sacrament meeting? Were you present or do you know someone who was present and then told you?

The reason for uneasiness about the crucifix with some Christians is based on the graven-image prohibition. Statues of Mary and the saints are the same. A way to deal with this is to say that the prohibition is against making up something of your own and worshiping it. Crucifixes and statues on the other hand, are reminders of an objective reality, which is the same whatever anyone thinks of it. Back up with appropriate citations.

I never heard the ‘dead Christ’ accusation before. How can anyone think that? Just last Sunday, every christian church in the world held services proclaiming Christ is risen. That is the whole point, isn’t it??

As for saying Christ had died, don’t LDS say that too? Mentioning the fact of His death does not seem to be harping on it. Exercises such as the stations of the Cross might seem to dwell on the death too much for some, but they all lead into the Resurrection, the Good News that the One we worship lives. What makes them think a dead Christ is worshipped?

I converted to the Catholic Church from Mormonism several years ago and resigned my membership from the LDS Church. I still attend sacrament meeting with my wife and children to keep peace in the family. I was at the meeting.

Is sacrament meeting a Mormon worship service?

When I was a Protestant I often heard church elders say things about Catholics which I had no idea about. I accepted it and regurgitated it.

After going to Catholic sources i.e. Priests, other Catholics or www.vatican.va it made me realise so many things I thought to be true were false.

All Christians regardless of denomination bear a responsibility to research and educate themselves about the christian faith, from it’s beginnings to now.

Sacrament meeting is the main Mormon worship service. I’m a returned Mormon missionary, married in the temple, graduated from BYU, former Elders Quorum President Ex-Mormon who was an active adult LDS for over 30 years so I think I understand Mormonism.

I lived in Utah years ago. From discussions with Mormons I understood that Mormons believe that Jesus is simply the President of the Mormon church in heaven, not the Savior. I am sure the answer is more complicated than that.

Mormons believe Jesus suffered for all of the sins of the descendants of Adam and rose from the dead. They believe he was the unique Son of God in the flesh. They don’t seem to believe that he was the unique Son of God from all eternity, but that varies from Mormon to Mormon. I think it would be wrong to say that Mormons don’t see Jesus as the Savior of mankind.

So your wife and children are still mormon and you are the only one who converted to catholicism? Just wondering if I have the facts right.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.