Mormons covering up doctrine about God being a man

An interesting article I found on the internet:

irr.org/mit/finessing-god-once-a-man.html

This shows how the Mormon Church has been covering up its teaching that God was once a man. It still believes it, but is trying to keep it silent.

In fact if you want to know about Mormonism, the whole website is worth looking at:

irr.org/mit/default.html

Mormons seem to change their doctrine ever so often. I personally think it depends on who is on the board of directors at the time.:confused:

I still remember when I was a kid hearing 2 of them tell my mom that it was impossible for Negro’s to go to heaven because they were children of Satan :mad: Now they say Negroes can make it if they convert to Mormonism :nerd: :hmmm: :wink: These guys are a bit off.

You are right when you say they are bit off :whacky:

That is a great site. Lots of great info.

A book to be aware of is

A Different Jesus?: The Christ Of The Latter-day Saints (Paperback) by Robert L. Millet published by a protestant publisher called eerdmans. This glosses over a lot of differences between catholic-protestant view of Jesus vs LDS views of Jesus.

eerdmans.com/Interviews/milletinterview.htm

The Doctrine of Exaltation, or Becoming a God
from Partakers of the Divine Nature
by Jordan Vajda
farms.byu.edu/publications/paperschapter.php?paperid=7&chapid=62

mrm.org/multimedia/text/a-different-jesus.html

by Robert L. Millet

Latter-day Saints believe that we come to the earth to take a physical body, to be schooled and trained and gain experiences here that we could not have in the premortal life, and then to seek to grow in faith and spiritual graces until we can qualify to go where God and Christ are. But they believe that eternal life consists in more than being with God; it entails being like God. A study of the Christian church reveals that the **doctrine of the deification of man **was taught at least into the fifth century by such notables as Irenaeus, Clement of Alexandria, Justin Martyr, Athanasius, and Augustine. Latter-day Saints would probably not agree with most of what was taught about deification by the early Christian church leaders, because they believe that many of the plain and precious truths concerning God and man had been lost by then. But I mention this to illustrate that the idea was not foreign to the people of the early church; the names mentioned were not pagan or Gnostic spokesmen but Christian.

The Mormon Faith: A New Look at Christianity

In addition, President Joseph Fielding Smith explained that"From eternity to eternity means from the spirit existence through the probation which we are in, and then back again to the eternal existence which will follow. Surely this is everlasting, for when we receive the resurrection, we will never die . We all existed in the first eternity. I think I can say of myself and others, we are from eternity; and we will be to eternity everlasting, if we receive the **exaltation." **

Godhood comes through overcoming the world through the Atonement (1 John 5:4-5; Revelation 2:7, 11; D&C 76:51-60), becoming heirs of God and joint-heirs with Christ, who is the natural Heir (Romans 8:17; Galatians 4:7), and thus inheriting all things, just as Jesus inherits all things (1 Corinthians 3:21-23; Revelation 21:7; D&C 76:55, 95; 84:38; 88:107). The faithful are received into the “church of the Firstborn” (Hebrews 12:23; D&C 76:54, 67, 94; 93:22), meaning they inherit as though they were the firstborn. In that glorified state we will be conformed to the image of the Lord Jesus (Romans 8:29; 1 Corinthians 15:49; 2 Corinthians 3:18; 1 John 3:2; Alma 5:14), receive his glory, and be one with him and with the Father (John 17:21-23; Philippians 3:21).

Even though we believe in the ultimate deification of man, I am unaware of any authoritative statement in LDS literature that suggests that we will ever worship any being other than the ones within the Godhead. We believe in “one God” in the sense that we love and serve one Godhead, one divine presidency, each of whom possesses all of the attributes of Godhood (Alma 11:44; D&C 20:28).

In short, God is not of another species, nor is he the great unknowable one; he is indeed our Father in heaven. He has revealed a plan whereby we might enjoy happiness in this world and dwell with him and be like him in the world to come.

Delivered at the weekly BYU Devotional in the Marriott Center February 3, 1998

lightplanet.com/mormons/response/qa/godhood.htm

google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=eerdmans+latter+day+saints+christ&spell=1

God was once a man.

Well we know that Christ is STILL a man in one manifestation of His existence.

But if God the Blessed Trinity was once man, then He must have been a disturbed One seeings He would have had a multiple personality :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.