Mormons - If You Could, Would You Travel in the Millenium Falcon to Meet God?

To my LDS friends - I have a hypothetical question for you. Joseph Smith taught that God is a “man in form – like [ourselves] in all the person, image, and the very form as a man” and dwells on a planet near the star called Kolob.

If you could, would you fly the Millenium Falcon (or the Starship Enterprise, if you prefer) to meet God?

NewSeeker

Well I would take the Enterprise, it’s better maintained and has so many amenities, holodeck, lounge etc.:slight_smile:

Sorry if I interrupted a serious thread.

John 14:

21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

22 Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?

23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Revelation 3:

20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

You don’t need to go to God. He will come to you if your heart is right with Him.

But if you could travel to the Kolob system to meet God, would you?

NS

Why should I do that when I can bring Him down to me? It is a lot quicker! :slight_smile:

Think about this for a minute. Your way, God will come to you in Spirit. Wouldn’t you actually like to meet God in person in this life, like Joseph Smith? If you could do so by traveling to his planet with an FTL drive, would you? If Capt. Kirk offered to beam you up and take you to meet God, would you take him up on his offer?

NS

The thread is semi-serious. It’s fun to think about being in a sci fi movie (for the record, I agree with you - the Enterprise would be MUCH more comfortable). But if God really is a man who lives on a planet in some distant galaxy, as Mormons claim, God thus lives within space and time and theoretically it’s possible to fly a spacecraft to visit him. I wonder if there are Mormons who would make the attempt if they could?

NS

Who says God will come to me “in the Spirit”? Joseph Smith taught that this manifestation is a personal manifestation, not a spiritual one.

Wouldn’t you actually like to meet God in person in this life, like Joseph Smith?

Sure! Joseph Smith didn’t have to go to God. God came to him.

If you could do so by traveling to his planet with an FTL drive, would you? If Capt. Kirk offered to beam you up and take you to meet God, would you take him up on his offer?

See above. If I am not worthy for God to come to me, I wouldn’t be worthy to go to Him. If I can’t see Him here, I wouldn’t be able to see Him there.

Ok, my hypothetical question assumed that God would come to you here in the most common way - not via a personal manifestation, but instead through some sort of spiritual witness. So, the question still stands: assuming you’re worthy, FTL travel is possible, and God hasn’t visited you personally on earth like he did Joseph Smith, would you hop aboard the Enterprise and travel to meet him?

NS

Mormon hymn #284 (current hymnal):

If You Could Hie To Kolob

1. If you could hie to Kolob
    In the twinkling of an eye,
    And then continue onward
    With that same speed to fly,
    Do you think that you could ever,
    Through all eternity,
    Find out the generation
    Where Gods began to be?

2. Or see the grand beginning,
    Where space did not extend?
    Or view the last creation,
    Where Gods and matter end?
    Methinks the Spirit whispers,
    “No man has found 'pure space,'
    Nor seen the outside curtains,
    Where nothing has a place.”

3. The works of God continue,
    And worlds and lives abound;
    Improvement and progression
    Have one eternal round.
    There is no end to matter;
    There is no end to space;
    There is no end to spirit;
    There is no end to race.

4. There is no end to virtue;
    There is no end to might;
    There is no end to wisdom;
    There is no end to light.
    There is no end to union;
    There is no end to youth;
    There is no end to priesthood;
    There is no end to truth.

5. There is no end to glory;
    There is no end to love;
    There is no end to being;
    There is no death above.
    There is no end to glory;
    There is no end to love;
    There is no end to being;
    There is no death above.

Text: William W. Phelps, 1792-1872

I thought I answered that question:

“If I am not worthy for God to come to me, I wouldn’t be worthy to go to Him. If I can’t see Him here, I wouldn’t be able to see Him there.”

That is the answer to that question. If I am worthy He will come to me. I don’t need to go to Him.

NewSeeker,
He doesn’t live within our time constraints, of course, and may be outside of what we describe as our universe. Happy conjecturing.

If anything, so you could fly in the Millenium Falcon! Once you’re point is established, to turn down such an offer becomes just crazy!

Z. - Ok, so you would turn Capt. Kirk down. Fair enough. But aren’t you the least bit curious about what God’s planet looks like? What if you could send a probe to take photos? Or do you think God would stop the probe from reaching his homeworld?

NS

The more you make God sound like a space alien, the more I think of Xenu and his volcano of souls! :stuck_out_tongue:

I learned a long time ago not to ask or answer hypothetical questions, especially about God. My duty is to just do what He says, and let Him take care of the rest.

Hi ParkerD -

Well obviously, if God is a man living on a planet, he still resides in some universe somewhere, even if it is a universe or a dimension outside of our own. If Joseph Smith was right, then God is a man (whose body occupies space) that lives on a planet (that occupies space) near the star Kolob (which also occupies space). Space and time go together; you can’t have one without the other, unless time is somehow able to be suspended through mechanical or priesthood means. So it follows, again assuming Joseph Smith is right, that God must have some sort of force field surrounding his homeworld, or or perhaps it surrounds the Kobol star system, within which eternity operates and outside of which normal time operates. That begs a question related to my original hypothesis: if the Millenium Falcon, carrying intrepid Mormon space pioneers, hied unto Kolob, approached God’s planet, and encountered his force field, could it penetrate that shield and survive intact? Or would God even allow it to penetrate the shield? There’s a movie script in there somewhere. I think the BYU film dept has an idea there. Except, I think William Shatner wrote one along similar lines, so never mind.
All of this may be moot, anyway, if God would simply destroy the Millenium Falcon or teleport it back to earth, to prevent mere mortals from showing up uninvited on his homeworld. Zerinus may have the better, safer plan by hanging out on earth waiting for God to appear to him, like God did to Joseph Smith in the woods.

NS

This sounds like an updated version of the Tower of Babel.

More like “If You Could Fly To Kolob”…

Tough crowd… :shrug:

Oh, an update on the song too. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.