Mormons married in heaven

I am Catholic and have a friend who is Mormon. She is beginning to question the issue of the apostasy; however, she is very enthralled with the idea that she will be married to her husband in their own heaven. I keep praying for her conversion. She asks me many questions about what Catholics believe about the afterlife. So that I am better versed/prepared when talking to her, could some one explain what the Mormons believe about marriage in heaven?
Thanks!
NDSMC

Jesus taught that there is NO marriage in Heaven.

Our marriage rite is “until death do you part.”

What is the purpose of marriage in heaven unless you need to make little godlets for other planets like Kolob?

Months ago, as I began to discuss Mormonism with my one-step-in-and-one-step-out of Mormonism girlfriend (now fiance) I started with what the Catholic Church teaches about marriage. Jesus teaches that in heaven “people” neither marry nor are given in marriage.

As we progressed through many weeks of short and stressful interactions, I didn’t feel as if I was making very much progress with her. Then, up came the subject of Mormon polygamy. That was the clincher for her. She knew almost nothing about it, even after 25 some years as a tithing Mormon. As she learned about Mormon teachings and histories regarding polygamy, she began to see through the thin skin of lies that covers the internal works of the LDS operation.

Since your friend is a woman, she may be able to feel a kinship with the unfortunate Mormon women of the 19th century (as well as many in this modern day, think Warren Jeffs) who had to endure the sight of their husbands having marital type relations with other women. And this not just with God’s approval, but with his command. Even though Mormon polygamy has been put “on hold” for now, Mormon men do still believe in it, and expect it to be practiced again. My understanding is that there will be polygamous relationships in the heavenlies, as well, but the Mormon experts here can outline that much better than I can.

Anyways, mention polygamy to her, find out what, if anything, she knows about it. It could very well be that the special heaven she has in mind for herself and her husband is not what her husband has in mind.

Thanks for the reply.
I know that Jesus taught there was no marriage in heaven. I know what the Catholic Church teaches about the afterlife.

My question is, what do the Mormons believe about marriage in Heaven?

Concerning polygamy, her answer is always that 1. it is no longer practiced, and 2. LDS has changed its official doctrine on it after further “revelations”.

Understanding the doctrine of Eternal Marriage from an LDS perspective entails understanding Eternal Progression. The Catholic Church teaches that we will all be ‘together’ in the presence of God; it’s just that sexual unions and individual family units as they exist on earth will no longer need to exist.

This once again falls within the crack of Mormon double-talk: Of course it’s attractive to offer a sales pitch that families can be together forever, but it comes at the price of buying into the doctrine of human deification. According to Mormon Doctrine, just like we now have heavenly parents (Elohim and one of his wives), Mormons who inherit the celestial kingdom (highest degree of glory (cf. D&C 76)) will be on their way to attaining godhood.

Polygamy is a good topic to bring up to a woman, but what’s better is the doctrine that unless a faithful LDS woman is married ‘eternally’, she can’t get to the celestial kingdom. LDS general authorities are very wish-washy on this topic because it’s so sensitive.

In the end, Jesus’ true Church is ultimately concerned about the salvation of the entire human race, not just those who enter into temple marriages. The Catholic Church offers grace through the sacraments to the broken-hearted and those of contrite spirit, not just to the full tithe-payer. In the end, it boils down to semantics: It’s not about families being together forever - What it’s really about is deification and the continued sexual relations of husband and wife…You gotta pity these poor Mormon women! Who wants to be pregnant for all eternity!

Well, I was hoping that this would trigger in your mind (and hers) that if Mormon teaching is contrary to the Bible, then a priori, it must be wrong. If she believes the Mormon view is the correct one (eternal marriage) then the Christian view is wrong.

Any other discussion about the particulars seems like an exercise in futility: either Jesus is believed or Joseph Smith is believed (and those other ‘prophets’ who followed him).

I hope it’s clearer now.

All that means for Mormons is that there will be sex and eternal children. You can tell her that Catholics believe we will be united with our families in heaven. It just won’t be necessary to be married because sex will cease to exist. Eternal marriage for Mormon males simply meant eternal sex. There is no reason to believe we won’t be with our families in heaven.

Exactly! That’s what I tried to convey above.

As a woman, when I was a mormon, what struck me was when I compared Doctrine and Covenants section 132 with the temple marriage ceremony. They do still believe in polygamy even if they don’t practice it right now. Section 132 is still doctrine. The temple marriage ceremony says this:

“By virtue of the Holy Priesthood and the authority vested in me, I pronounce you ______, and ______, legally and lawfully husband and wife for time and all eternity, and I seal upon you the blessings of the holy resurrection with power to come forth in the morning of the first resurrection clothed in glory, immortality and eternal lives, and I seal upon you the blessings of kingdoms, thrones, principalities, powers, dominions and exaltations, with all the blessings of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob [if living, he adds: and say unto you: be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth] that you may have joy and rejoicing in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. All these blessings, together with all the blessings appertaining unto the New and Everlasting Covenant, I seal upon you by virtue of the Holy Priesthood, through your faithfulness, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, Amen.” ***
lds-mormon.com/veilworker/marriage.shtml

Now read D&C 132
scriptures.lds.org/dc/132 and see what the Everlasting covenant is. It’s polygamy. She’ll have a polygamous marriage in the Mormon heaven.

Which then leads to the question: wouldn’t the current Mormon church be “apostate” since they are no longer practicing it…and the FLDS is the true church b/c they are? :wink: (You don’t need to ask your friend that.)

***As the LDS church has changed temple ceremonies several times I don’t know if this is the current wording, and to be honest, we left the church before being sealed in the temple.

Excellent posting, AWall, excellent posting!

God bless you for exposing another ‘truth’ about the sect called Mormonism/

Pax Christi

You might ask her to be more specific about these further revelations. When I brought polygamy up to my fiance’s father, he told me that polygamy was made necessary because of a shortage of men during the Mormon trek to Salt Lake. It seems that this is a common response from Mormons who have been spoon-fed this version of history. There are other versions which are different, and which I find more believable. For instance, Joseph Smith was practicing polygamy for many years prior to his death in 1844. The Mormon trek west didn’t begin in earnest until after that, under Brigham Young, who is said to have had more than 50 wives!

According to one of our resident Mormon trolls, Zerinus, polygamy has NOT been done-away-with. He has, in other threads, made quite the impassioned case for polygamy. I have also heard other male Mormons speak highly of it. There is an expectation that polygamy will be reinstituted at some later date. Zerinus says that the only reason the LDS stopped practicing it openly was the fact that it was made illegal in Utah. In fact, some separatist Mormon sects still practice polygamy illegally, claiming that the LDS Salt Lake branch went apostate by putting polygamy on the back-burner. In other words, polygamy is still a very hot issue among Mormons. It never went away. They have, however, de-emphasized talking about it because it tends to offend. They will explain it by saying that it was something that was brought about by the exigencies of their transient situation. In fact, it is a very central part of their religion. The only reason they put it away in the late 19th century is because the U.S. Federal Gov’t would not accept either a theocratic or polygamous Utah.

It may very well be that your friend knows quite a lot about the polygamous Mormon past, and accepts it as it is. But, if she is like my fiance, and her father, she knows almost nothing about it except the standard historical revisionism that seems to characterize the Mormon explanations for those things they find embarrassing, or too “meaty” to present to the spiritual babes.

the REAL LDS doctrine on this is that one can only practice polygamy when COMMANDED to do so. (that takes care of the BoM contradiction on this) BUT the doctrine is that those who reach the highest level of exaltation (highest of 3 degrees in the Celestial kingdom) will become Gods and THEY will ALL be polygamists. Ones who weren’t commanded to practice polygamy on earth will be GIVEN worthy women who through no fault of their own were not able to be sealed to a worthy man. Those who are worthy of celestial kingdom but not the highest degree will be ministering angels and servants to the highest.

Families are NOT together forever in mormon doctrine. If everyone goes to the highest level then they each go their separate ways becoming Gods of their own planets. maybe they visit from time to time. if they aren’t all exalted then the ones that achieve celestial glory can VISIT the ones who live in the lower kingdoms. although it might not be so joyous and heavenly to see your family members slumming in the telestial kingdom. besides once you are past the veil and get your pre-existence memory back you know we are all siblings. so it might be kind of weird then calling your sister great-great grandma, especially since you are married to your other sister and your older brother is your grandson.:confused:

I’ll take the Catholic teaching on heaven and family where everyone is really together with God and eternally happy.

Thank you for your honest question. I will be happy to answer it for you. We believe that marriage was intended by God from the beginning to be an eternal institution. It was not meant to end at death. When God married Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, they were eternal beings. Death had not yet entered into the world for their marriage to end at death. They were married for eternity. Death came as a consequence of the Fall. However, the Atonement of Christ was performed to reverse the consequence of the Fall, and make mankind immortal again; therefore their marriage also should be restored to its former state—i.e. be made eternal—as God had always intended it to be. But in order for marriages to be eternal, they must be solemnized for eternity by the divine power of the priesthood, with the “keys of the kingdom” that the Lord promised to Peter: that whatsoever he should seal on earth should be sealed in heaven, and whatsoever he should loose on earth should be loosed in heaven. If you are married by the vicar or by the Catholic priest “until death do you part,” than that is how it will be. It will only last until death. After that you won’t be married any more. We believe that the early Christian church apostatized, and lost the authority of the priesthood, and with it the keys that the Lord promised to Peter, to “bind and loose on earth, and it would be bound and loosed in heaven”. The LDS Church is the only church on earth today that possesses those keys, and is able to solemnize marriages not only for time, but also for eternity, so that they will continue to be in force after the resurrection. This is performed in our temples, where couples are married by those who are given the keys of this authority so that their marriages endure not only for time, but for all eternity. I hope that that answers your question.

zerinus

All Joseph Smith cared about was having sex with as many women as he could, not only in this life, but in eternity. The whole thing is an ego trip of power and sex for Mormon men. We’ll be with our families in heaven and that is enough for me.

Thank you for your honest question. I will be happy to answer it for you. We believe that marriage was intended by God from the beginning to be an eternal institution. It was not meant to end at death. When God married Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, they were eternal beings.

if you find that you’re married in the after life, that’s not heaven, it’s called hell.

who in their right mind would want to be married to another person forever???!!! sounds like some cheesy stuff a moron would say.

i looking forward to being united to God in heaven and not only my wife.

isn’t a lifetime long enough for marriage?? thankfully marriage is over when you die. only a sadistic God would keep someone married into eternity.

you have a wacked-out theology my mormon friend.

The OP had asked a simple and honest question, and I tried to give him an equally simple and honest answer. If you don’t accept Mormon donctrine, feel free to oppose. I don’t care to be honest whether you do or not.

zerinus

Polygamy in the United States is no longer tolerated because it is against the law. However, they do teach that in Celestial heaven there will be polygamy. My husband, ex LDS, tells me that men will be allowed to have up to 5 wives, women can only have 2 husbands. When husband and wife die, if he wants to have her join him in celestial heaven, he will call her by her secret name and pull her into celestial heaven. They have sexual rrelations and have spirit babies. They raise the babies until it is time for that spirit child to take a body on earth to continue its progression. There is a lot more, but this should be enough to turn any young lady off of the “marriage in heaven” stuff.

Love and peace,
Mom of 5

Sound like you really hate your wife! If so, then you needn’t worry. You won’t be married to her for eternity. But let me assure you everyone is not like that. I know of many who love their wives. They love their wives so much that they can’t bear to be away from them for a second, either in this life or in the next.

zerinus

So true, so true. I used to ask my ex-Mormon girlfriend why it seemed desireable for her to spend eternity all packed in with her family, seeing as how they don’t get along all that well here on earth. In any case, this whole Mormon married for eternity thing is a bunch of hooey. Jesus teaches the real thing, and it has been implemented in the Church that he founded, and is perfectly satisfactory and logical.

What I want to know about from Zerinus is this thing about polygamy in heaven. It is one thing to say that they will be married for eternity, but something else entirely to teach that the sin of adultery will be carried on even in heaven. The Mormons aren’t content with mere heresy. They simply MUST go all-out into full-blown blasphemy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.