Mormons search the web and find doubt

nytimes.com/2013/07/21/us/some-mormons-search-the-web-and-find-doubt.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

“I felt like I had an earthquake under my feet,” said Mr. Mattsson, now an emeritus area authority. “Everything I’d been taught, everything I’d been proud to preach about and witness about just crumbled under my feet. It was such a terrible psychological and nearly physical disturbance.”

“The Roman Catholic Church has had 2,000 years to work through the hiccups in its history,” said Terryl L. Givens, a professor of English, literature and religion at the University of Richmond and a Mormon believer. “Mormonism is still an adolescent religion".

The internet helped me in returj to my faith. Of course I had 2000 years of history. Logic dictate there is only one church.

The decline of Mormonism due to internet research has been a common theme over the last 5-10 years.

They claim 14m followers but it’s more likely to be 4m according to many sources.

Let’s hope this false religion soon collapses.

It has offered nothing to the world.

It IS devastating for so many. So much so, they become completely atheistic/agnostic.

Please, all of us here, please please pray for those LDS members who are truly suffering a crisis of faith. IT is a serious and devastating crisis.

They used to come on here, and I hoped they learned something, but they have been MIA for some time now. Wonder why??

Complete mystery. :rolleyes:

Yup

Not nearly as mysterious as some may think.

Being spiritually traumatized is no laughing matter.
In order for a Mormon in crisis to wade thru it all, one must feel spiritually safe.

CAF is not, at leas in the non-Catholic forum in many instances, the safest place to work it all out…

I personally would use the word “bullying”

Mormons in crisis need to feel spiritually safe, not spiritually bullied.

I agree they should not be bullied. It was just interesting to me that they all disappeared at the same time.

Yes, I was being sarcastic. I know very well why we have no Mormons posting here anymore and I can’t say as I blame them. But I don’t want to go down that road again.

Wow, that was a powerful article. Thank you so much for sharing it. When you’re part of an organization for such a long time, it’s so hard to let go because it’s all you’ve ever known. It can be devasting. I just hope that, henceforth, everything with Hans Mattsson is OK as far as his mental health is concerned.

Agree with you, Marie. Saw article. There are people whose faith was so broken that they became atheists. Very sad, and feel very bad for them and yes, we really need to pray for them and for their leadership.

Thanks to a lot of reading and internet searching I went from lukewarm Catholic to now discernment for priesthood.

I hope and pray more will find the faith.:slight_smile:

You are welcome…

Mormons’ confronted with painful and spiritual upending truths dont need bullying. They need kind and Christ-like and Christ-loving people in their lives to help them as they go thru spiritual traumas.

No value, none,is ever found in bullying. Never. Ever.

They need true disciples of Our Lord there. Loving them. Not brow-beating them.

I left Mormonism awhile back. Turned me off Christianity in it’s entirety to be honest. I knew so many nice people in my ward, from Missionaries, all the way to the local Bishop. All amazing people, and I felt like they were all lying to me in the end. Felt like they all knew, but everyone just stayed in due to friends and family. When I was baptized it was one of the best feelings I’ve ever had. I was so sure at that moment when I was told “Your Heavenly Father is proud.” After absorbing the Book of Mormon, Gospel Principles, Pearl of Great Price, Doctrine & Covenants, Teachings of the Prophets: Brigham Young/Joseph Smith and a few others I searched for more knowledge. I knew I wanted to go on a Mission, and I felt I’d need more knowledge though I could have taught quite well at the time. The Internet led to some questionable material, and I ended up falling out.

Any time anyone speaks soft and tries to be understanding and dance around hard answers I assume they are being deceptive. This is one of the reasons I left my RCIA classes.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The Church I loved and still have a soft spot for. The Church that I would have given anything for, the one that angered my family, straightened up my life, and built me into a strong willed Conservative who worked hard. If only it were true, if only I never thirsted for more knowledge. Ignorance is bliss.

I’m sorry this was your experience with RCIA. It certainly is not the experience of all people in RCIA, as the Catholic Church is pretty unique in its firm stances and clear definitions of its beliefs. If you still have questions you’re looking for answers to, the community here surely could answer them. God bless.

Mormons…wow, I watched this doco the other day on this lot and I was blown away in what they believe in, I had no Idea, I’m from Australia and their aren’t many around here, I would just like to know where they pulled this rubbish from?? did they just make it up or what?

Yes, it’s one of the reasons I didn’t take up Islam during my searching.

Many people that do Dawah definitely fit into that mold. Most proselytizers do, that I have ran in to.

One of the things that attracted me towards Catholicism was how no one ever dodged difficult issues. There was no fear about talking about the crusades, abuse, inquisition etc. You can see that on this website.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.