Mormons: There will be no marriage in Heaven

Matthew 22: 23 The same day the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to Him and asked Him, saying: “Teacher, Moses said that if a man dies, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife and raise up offspring for his brother. Now there were with us seven brothers. The first died after he had married, and having no offspring, left his wife to his brother. Likewise the second also, and the third, even to the seventh. Last of all the woman died also. Therefore, in the resurrection, whose wife of the seven will she be? For they all had her.”

Matthew 22:29 Jesus answered and said to them, “You are mistaken, not knowing the Scriptures nor the power of God. For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels of God in heaven.”

Jesus was saying that resurrected people (angels) in heaven will be androgynous, no longer distinguished by sex.

Mormons believe there will be celestial marriage. How do Mormons justify this idea?

i think i just have the same question for you!

answer the question before asking one, why do mormons reject original sin? Jesus dies for it but only Christians believe in that i forgot.

kev,

Mormons do believe in original sin actually, but they believe that Christ’s atonement automatically negates it.

if that was the case then we would have returned to our glory
state like adam and eve enjoyed. We would have no pain, death,
and sin. mormon baptism forgive people for the sins that they have committed, while catholic baptism takes away our original sin.
if jesus negated original sin than there would be no need for heaven
because jesus died for our sins and to open the gates of heaven.

kev,

Mormons believe our personal sins hold us back and that everyone is imperfect and sins and therefore needs to repent. That’s why Mormon children are baptized at the ‘age of accountability’ when they acquire the ability to sin.

Yeah, but LDS have a much shorter list of what is sin.

Okay people, we are off topic. I asked about marriage in Heaven, not original sin.

When people die and go to heaven, they will not be male or female, there will be no sex in heaven.

According to Paul, in 1 Corinthians 15, the resurrected body will be a spiritual body. It will not look like the earthly body it was:

1 Corinthians 15:41-50 41There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; indeed, star differs from star in glory.

42 So it is with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable, what is raised is imperishable. 43It is sown in dishonour, it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness, it is raised in power. 44It is sown a physical body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a physical body, there is also a spiritual body. 45Thus it is written, ‘The first man, Adam, became a living being’; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 46But it is not the spiritual that is first, but the physical, and then the spiritual. 47The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is* from heaven. 48As was the man of dust, so are those who are of the dust; and as is the man of heaven, so are those who are of heaven. 49Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we will* also bear the image of the man of heaven.

50 What I am saying, brothers and sisters,* is this: flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.

So what’s the deal Mormons?

I don’t think Mormons think about sin in the same way that othodox Christians do. Mormons don’t even talk about it as sin usually, they talk about it as ‘transgression’. Some transgressions are very serious and can induce a lot of guilt, but there isn’t the same focus as it being an affront to God like I’ve seen orthodox Christians understand sin.

“Every time you sin you hurt Jesus” Sin is an affront to God.

I find it easier to repent when I call sin a mistake. I am also responsible for making amends. And LDS see no responsibility for doing this as a part of repentance.

Huh? We actually talk quite a lot about “sin,” although nebula is right that we use “transgression” as a synonym. (It just means “breaking a law.”) And in all our Sunday School manuals that talk about repentance, they talk about “making restitution.” (Some of the manuals for kids have some kind of formula like the “3 R’s of Repentance,” or something like that, and “Restitution” is always one of the “R’s”.)

So, Mormon Friends, how do you see this verse?

what about the TOPIC - Celestial Marriage???

Simple there is no marriage in heaven
because we are here to serve god and we have kids when we are married this is what marriage is for
people have a hard enough time believing in heaven
never mind marriage in it.

Hi Christine,

I’ll try to answer your question. In the quotation you provided, Jesus told the Sadducees that they were mistaken, “not knowing the scriptures nor the power of God.” What scriptures? You can search the Old Testament (which was the “scriptures” at that time, and not find a thing about whether there is marriage in heaven. You will find only slightly more about resurrection at all. So what was Jesus referring to?

The story the Sadducees told had to do with 7 brothers who all married a woman in succession. Interestingly enough, there is just such a story in the book of Tobit, in the Apocrypha. (LDS do not include the Apocrypha in our Bibles, as Catholics do, but we believe they are based on inspired documents, but endured a few more corruptions than average. Therefore, we didn’t bother including them in our canon.) Anyway, in Tobit 6:10-8:9 we read about a young woman who had been married to seven brothers, each of whom was killed on the wedding night by a demon. But in the story, she ultimately marries an eighth husband, Tobias, who, following instructions from the archangel Raphael, manages to chase the demon away. Raphael (who, according to Tobit 3:17, had been sent to arrange the marriage) tells the young man that his wife had been appointed to him “from the beginning” (Tobit 6:17.)

This is a striking correspondence, and it seems very likely that this was the scripture Jesus was referring to. So in my interpretation, Jesus was correct to say that none of the seven would have the woman in the resurrection. It was actually the eighth, who was meant to have her.

Of course, Jesus didn’t say all that, but it was his common practice not to “cast pearls before swine.” Check out Matt. 13, where the disciples ask why he taught in parables. Jesus answered that he did that so the unworthy would NOT understand him.

Why did Jesus say there was no marriage in heaven? Again, he wasn’t being clear, since he was talking to the Sadducees, but we interpret that to mean that all such ordinances must be taken care of here on earth.

What evidence do we have that early Christians practiced celestial marriage? Some gnostic sects practiced celestial marriage ceremonies in mirrored bridal chambers (like the LDS do.) Also, Jean Danielou, a Catholic priest and famous historian, who later became a cardinal, thought that the Didache refers to an ancient Jewish Christian practice similar to the gnostic one. If you want me to dig out references for those, I have them somewhere.

Finally, you asked about bodies in heaven? Paul said that flesh and blood can’t inherit the kingdom of God, and I gather that you think that means the resurrection body must be totally un-physical? Check out Luke’s account of Jesus’s post-Resurrection appearance to the disciples. He has them feel his hands and feet, and says, “a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have” (Luke 24:39). Note that Paul contrasts “flesh and blood” with the “spiritual” resurrection body, but Jesus’s resurrection body had “flesh and bone”–no blood.

This seems to me to militate against any notion of “spiritual” as “completely un-physical.”

Also, consider that Joseph Smith’s idea of the resurrection body with flesh and bone, but no blood, is confirmed by Athenagoras, a mid-second century Christian apologist.

“For the bodies that rise again are reconstituted from the parts which properly belong to them, whereas no one of the things mentioned is such a part, nor has it the form or place of a part. . . since no longer does blood, or phlegm, or bile, or breath, contribute anything to the life. Neither, again, will the bodies nourished then require the things they once required, seeing that, along with the want and corruption of the bodies nourished, the need also of those things by which they were nourished is taken away.” (Athenagoras, The Resurrection of the Dead, in ANF 2:152.)

Hope this helps you see how LDS people might interpret these things. The truth is that the marriage one is perhaps the most difficult passage for us to tackle in the entire Bible, so I don’t mean any of this to imply that my interpretation is “self-evident.”

Very thorough answer, BDawg. Thanks.

How about the part where Jesus says that they will not marry nor be given in marriage? Or that they ar elike Angels? Are angels married or not?

Okay, thanks for explaining what you use to back up your beliefs. I don’t really think that’s what Jesus was saying in regards to life after death, but Tobit was a fun story - I loved it!

Anyway- you Mormons rock as far as supporting earthly marriage as a sacrament - thanks for all your good work in California in reversing the gay marriage travesty!:slight_smile: !

bdawg,

The concepts are interestingly subtly different.

There’s some truth to that–when we talk about Adam and Eve’s “transgression,” we are implying law-breaking, but not necessarily sinning. But honestly, in other contexts they are typically used as synonyms.

To be brutally honest, I think that most of the time people use the word “transgression” as a way to parlay archaic language into sounding more pious at Church. Mormons have all kinds of things like that.

We say “transgression” instead of “sin.”

We call General Authorities by their full first name, middle initial, and last name. So Tom Monson became “Elder Thomas S. Monson.”

If someone becomes President of the Church, they get an “even” tacked to the front of their name. So Elder Thomas S. Monson is now “our prophet, EVEN Thomas S. Monson.”

At church, people don’t pray for rain–they pray for “moisture.” I hope they get fog, the lackwits. :smiley:

You know, even though this is off topic, it’s and interesting discussion. I have often wondered what Mormons think of sin and redemption. Catholics KNOW they are sinners, and feel very guilty about sin and are always looking for forgiveness.

As I see it, Mormons live such “righteous” lives, (No Bad Habits!) that I wonder if they ever think that they sin.

Sin is more than bad habits though. Envy, greed, self-righteousness, pride and other things are sins.

Do Mormons feel remorse for sins such as those? How do they ask for and recieve forgiveness?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.