Mormons; what is your favorite scripture in your book?

Place here your favorite scripture in the book of mormon, maybe you would refer to it when you are feeling down or when you are feeling distant from God? Put it here and please don’t make it too long! :whacky:

Please write it down and not just give the chapter or verse if you can, that would be much better! Although, I do have a book of mormon so I can look it up. :smiley:

P.S. What scripture would you recommend to some one having depression?

Hi, Jennifer,
I hope you are having a good evening.

My favorite verses, which are also a good support to someone having depression, are found in the vision Nephi had about the tree of life. The specific verses I especially like are 1 Nephi 11:22-23.

22 And I answered him, saying: Yea, it is the love of God, which sheddeth itself abroad in the hearts of the children of men; wherefore, it is the most desirable above all things.

23 And he spake unto me, saying: Yea, and the most joyous to the soul.

Love extends all over the world. I love the words “sheddeth itself abroad.” It truly is the most desirable and most joyous gift of God.:slight_smile:

Slightly off topic, but when we moved to Utah in 1996 shortly after we got there the Book of Mormon proved genuinely prophetic.

3 Nephi 6:8 And there were many a highways cast up, and many roads made, which led from city to city, and from land to land, and from place to place.

Remember that this was when the state of Utah was trying to prepare for the Olympics after years of doing nothing was forced to essentially redo all the highways at once. What a mess.

I’ve read the Book of Mormon with my RLDS friends. We’ve studied it together and discussed it’s points. The Community of Christ(formerly RLDS) is taking a new approach to the Book. Many see it as a 19th century piece of religious literature…but they still consider it scripture.

While most of the Book of Mormon doesn’t speak to me at all, the Book of Moroni as a whole does. Who ever one believes wrote the book doesn’t matter…the emotion and desolation and hope the book of Moroni conveys is a wonderful read. Moroni was the last of his race and running for his life…he had seen all he loved decimated by the wars and hatred of his homeland…it touched me…I have no illusions that the Book of Mormon is anything other than a 19th century product of religious literature…but still the book of Moroni…the last book of the Book of Mormon…was worth reading…it had depth and emotion I didn’t find in the rest of the Book.

Hi Parker D.There are lots of scripture that I love in the book of mormon, maybe I’ll note them down and put them on this thread soon, but there are so many! My favorite book in the book of mormon is definately the last one. It is just so nice to read, very long but very worth reading.

I definitely like Moroni 9.

However, the most chilling part is

And they came upon the armies of the Lamanites, and the Lamanites were scattered and driven into the wilderness; and they took their brethren which had been taken captive by the Lamanites, and there was not one soul of them which had been lost, that were taken captive. And they were brought by their brethren to possess their own lands. And thus ended the eleventh year of the Judges, the Lamanites having been driven out of the land, and the people of Ammonihah were destroyed; yea, every living soul of the Ammonihahites were destroyed , and also their great city, which they said God could not destroy, because of its greatness. --But behold, in one day it was left desolate; and their carcases were mangled by dogs and wild beasts of the wilderness; nevertheless, after many days, their dead bodies were heaped up upon the face of the earth, and they were covered with a shallow covering. And now so great was the scent thereof, that the people did not go in to possess the land of Ammonihah for many years. And it was called desolation of Nehors; for they were of the profession of Nehor, which were slain; and their lands remained desolate.

It reminds me of the stink coming from the crematoria of Nazi Germany.

And of course, the just defeat of the Nephites by the Lamanites:

And from this time forth did the Nephites gain no power over the Lamanites, but began to be swept off by them even as a dew before the sun. (Mormon 4:18)

There is some good fiction in there. Just takes some looking.

Matthew 12:

34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.

Jerusha,
If your point was that bad stuff happens in this world, then you are correct. You perhaps are aware that the Lamanite armies were the armies who destroyed the people of Ammonihah, a few years after they had burned a whole group of people along with their scriptural writings including their women and children. No doubt when Mormon was abridging the account, he left in the part about carcasses because he was familiar with that in his own time as the Lamanites destroyed the wicked Nephites. You missed telling about Zeezrom, who was converted by Alma and Amulek–Amulek himself having also been a recent convert.

Zeezrom had been a big-time lawyer for the people of Ammonihah, but he repented of his wrongs and was forgiven by God. He did go through some depression during a period of time when he thought of all the misguidance he had given to the people of Ammonihah, and regretted what he had done. But he recovered from the depression, and lived to become a missionary, telling others about Jesus Christ and His saving grace. We find what we look for in life, don’t we? The account of his confrontation with Alma and Amulek in Alma 11-13 is great reading, great literature with deep meaning.

Does the book of mormon mention about our souls going to God after we die? How is this explained in the book of mormon? Is purgatory mentioned?

Good evening, Jennifer, hope you’ve had a good day.
See Alma 34:33-34 and Alma 40:11-14.
Purgatory is not mentioned in the Book of Mormon. It says this life is the time to prepare to meet God, and perform our labors. It also says we will have the same “spirit” in the spirit world as in this world.

The Book of Mormon points people toward exaltation through following the guidance of the Holy Ghost in their lives. The real goal of this life is exaltation, not merely the Telestial Kingdom or the Terrestrial Kingdom, though those are kingdoms of glory for people who acknowledge Christ and accept His saving grace but who don’t follow the sanctification of the Holy Ghost in their life or in the spirit world. They don’t allow the Holy Ghost to direct their life. They choose against that direction. One must have been willing to be directed outside of themselves in order to qualify, and be willing to listen to the guidance of the Holy Spirit throughout their life or in the spirit world if that’s where they have the opportunity presented to them. I assume the Book of Mormon will be a teaching tool in the spirit world just as it is in this life, along with the Bible.

Is hell really eternal? Shouldn’t we get back to the lord eventually? :shrug: The thought of my family in hell is not a good thing…

Jennifer,
The suffering of hell will certainly seem like an “eternity” to those who suffer that condition of torment for their sins. But the Bible assures that Christ rescues all from prison except the “sons of perdition” who are continuously rebellious, so those will eventually (after a thousand years) be rescued.

I have no idea about your family, but if they were good people trying their best to be kind to others including their own kin as they lived their life, then they would not go to “hell.” They would go to a place of learning in the spirit world and learn more about Christ and the Holy Ghost and sanctification, and be with their loved ones as they do that.

We generally find what our past experiences (which includes cultural heritage) condition us to find. I find the BOM to be egregiously racially biased. No person is without sin, and no people is without sin. This includes “primary” ethnic bigotry, as well as “reactive” ethnic bigotry.

I will never find relief from depression through becoming a Mormon missionary. :bowdown2::takeoff:

Have a good day. :cool:

I find this letter in the BOM to be quite funny, reflecting the strategies of those who use poisoned honey to get what they want:

Lachoneus, most noble and Chief Governor of the land: behold I write this epistle unto you, and do give unto you exceeding great praise because of your firmness, and also the firmness of your people, in maintaining that which ye suppose to be your right and liberty; yea, ye do stand well, as if ye were supported by the hand of God, in the defence of your liberty, and your property, and your country, or that which ye do call so. And it seemeth a pity unto me, most noble Lachoneus, that ye should be so foolish and vain as to suppose that ye can stand against so many brave men, which are at my command, which do now at this time stand in their arms, and do await, with great anxiety, for the word, Go down upon the Nephites and destroy them. And I knowing of their unconquerable spirit, having proved them in the field of battle, and knowing of their everlasting hatred towards you, because of the many wrongs which ye have done unto them, therefore if they should come down against you, they would visit you with utter destruction; therefore I have wrote this epistle, sealing it with mine own hand, feeling for your welfare, because of your firmness in that which ye believe to be right, and your noble spirit in the field of battle; therefore I write unto you desiring that ye would yield up unto this my people, your cities, your lands, and your possessions, rather than that they should visit you with the sword, and that destruction should come upon you; or in other words, yield yourselves up unto us, and unite with us, and become acquainted with our secret works, and become our brethren, that ye may be like unto us; not our slaves, but our brethren, and partners of all our substance. (III Nephi 3:2-7)

Personally, I find a book, and therefore a religion, that justifies blood-feud and revenge as doing their god’s work, to be more than slightly disturbing. Now, if you want to interpret it in such a way that those who cannot forgive and abandon blood feud, will receive their just end, perhaps we can come to an agreement, as individuals.

I was always of a mind that we could all live together in peace and forget our differences. And all you can say about the Holocaust is “bad things happen”?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.