Mormons

Has anyone out there had experience in dealing with Mormons? I want to be nice, but their doctrines are very strange and I know they hate the Catholic Church.

Extensive. I was raised in the Nauvoo area. I was raised to respect others’ beliefs, no matter how flakey they may seem to be, but never really had the courage to examine that religion.

I have discovered that they have an extreme dislike for me, both because I am Catholic, and because some of their negative history is exposed through a study of my family history.

I would imagine there is an interesting story about the exit of the Benedictine Sisters from that town, and the transformation of St. Mary’s Academy into a branch of BYU.

Thanks. I have been educating myself about their beliefs so that I can respond to these young men when they return. I can only imagine what they were thinking when I told them I was Catholic!

My eyes have indeed been opened after reading about their “doctrines.” My only previous exposure to the Mormon Church was watching Donny and Marie Osmond on TV many years ago!

I have dealt with a couple mormon friends. the biggest thing you have to remember when talking to them is that you must explain your beliefs as a Catholic throroughly so they understand them and you must try to not seem disrespectful or make it seem like you are persecuting their beliefs. this can be hard sometimes because i find as a Catholic their beliefs are so different and hard for me to even understand why they believe what they do.

matt

On the EWTN show I think “Coming Home” there was a mormon convert to Catholicism. He said that they believe their faith is the real one and are very misinformed.

I wish I could remember his name (Smith?) but he said something important. He said that we should talk to the mormon missionairies when they come round and tell them about the Catholic religion. They will be surprised by our total love for Jesus Christ because they feel WE don’t know the truth. This way they will think and hopefully investigate our beautiful Church.

POPE BENEDICT XVI - I LOVE YOU!!

i was at a church retreat in salt lake city… the home of the mormon church if u’d like to put it that way. Now this retreat had about 11,000 teenagers from across the usa at a conference. We were all assigned certain ministry assignments… cleaning cars,etc… and my group was given the task of going out into the city and sharing the gospel to people and evangelizing to them. Well one of my friends there actually had the privelidge of sharing his faith with a mormon who right then and there decided to convert to christianity… it was amazing to say the least. While we were there we also took a tour of the mormon tabernacle and the choir and such… they shared their beliefs with us and let me just say… yes they’re beliefs are incredibly contradictory to one another. They say they use both the christian bible and the bible of john smith… but when we were taking a tour all they had in their hands was john smith’s bible… the mormon bible… really wierd but the mormon church kinda hates every type of christian church as they think they are in the right just like everyone else. All we can do is pray and keep on witnessing to this group. And let us not hate them as they hate us… let us not forget love is the greatest testimony of all

[quote=susi75]Has anyone out there had experience in dealing with Mormons? I want to be nice, but their doctrines are very strange and I know they hate the Catholic Church.
[/quote]

Hate the Catholic Church ? :hmmm: Isn’t hatered a sin ?

[quote=susi75]Has anyone out there had experience in dealing with Mormons? I want to be nice, but their doctrines are very strange and I know they hate the Catholic Church.
[/quote]

I have experience dealing with Mormons. There are lot of Ex-LDS who are now Catholic on this forum that can answer your questions about Mormons. You will also find a lot of great Mormon posters on this site that can help you understand their faith and will answer questions. Just ask a question directly about their beliefs and doctorine and we all will be happy to help.

God Bless,

ex-mo

Hi everyone,

I am new, and have question about the Mormons. Why do they use the KJV of the Bible. Isn’t the version they use a bit outdated? Don’t they have problems with the translation errors in it.

In Christ,

Schizm

Hi Schizm,

In a LDS KJV Bible there’s lots of footnotes that refer to a topical guide or a bible dictionary that’s in the back of their bible. These references help LDS members clarify issues in the bible. I was told one of the earlier LDS prophets were responsible for these guides. (It wasn’t Joseph Smith) When I’ve had questions on how LDS could possibly spin an issue like Isaiah 44:6 "Thus saith the Lord the King of Israel, and his redeemer the Lord of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.
The topical guide and bible dictionary helps LDS interpret this passage so that it clarifies their doctrine.

I know I interpret this passage differently than LDS members do. I hope this helps.:slight_smile:

[/quote]

Since I’m a Catholic who married a LDS, I might have an opinion! LOL. I’ve been through all of their indoctrination classes with the missionaries and went to their ‘Gospel principle’ bible study for a year. They were all friendly and I tried to explain my Catholic views to the best of my abilities. If you feel pressured simply explain that to them, they will back off. Since I was trying to understand my wife’s beliefs better, I stuck with their program. I then took a refresher coarse in RCIA. I feel much more comfortable dealing with them now since I understand my own faith better.

Yes, they believe we are misguided in the Catholic Church, but they honestly believe they are saving us.

Well, I’ve been a Mormon for the past 24 years. I’ve never been to the temple so I can’t give you firsthand experience about it but I can answer any general questions you may have.

I have been looking at other denominations over the past few years and am very deeply and seriously considering the Catholic church. As I say, this is a decision I’ve been contemplating for several years now, so it is not something that I’ve taken lightly.

There are many reasons why I have made the decision to move from the LDS (mormon) church, cheif among them is my absolute conviction that anyone, regardless of denomination, who has faith in God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and follows the path of righteousness shall find salvation; that no one church can claim to be the only way to our heavenly father, and this is something the LDS church is being more and more serious about.

Please keep in mind, that I am not condemn the chuch, nor am I bashing it or it’s members, I just do not feel that it sustains or renews my faith in God as much as the Catholic church does.

Please keep in mind that idealogies tend to change regionally. My wife recently visited her aunt (who is also LDS) in South Texas and even I thought they were radicle!

Does the LDS church hate Catholics? - No.
In fact, the 11th Article of Faith states: “We claim the privilege of worshiping ALmighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may”.

So the next time a Mormon reviles you for your choice of denomination, kindly remind them of the 11th Article of Faith.
I heard, just this past week as a matter of fact, that there are some Mormons calling the Catholic church “The Great and Abominable Church” but I believe this is the opinion of a few badly misguided members and to the best of my knowlege NOT the official position of the church its-self.

Do the Mormons have their own Bible? - No
The Book of Mormon is considered “Another Testament of Jesus Christ” and is a collection of what the LDS church feels are additional books outlining Christ’s appearence in the Americas. It is not a bible in and of it’s-self.

Do they have problems with the KJV translation? - Yes.
In fact, the 8th Article of Faith states: “We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God”.

I have a few problems with the latter half of that statement personally.

There are a great many rumors that float around about the LDS Church (indeed, any chuch, I remember getting into a fight with a Baptist friend of mine who claimed that Catholics were idoliters because of the Saints and Icons). Let me leave you with a story that happened to me several years ago. If it weren’t so tragicly sad, it would almost be funny.

I was in an LDS IRC chat room one Sunday night, when a lady came in, typing in all caps, “PLEASE STOP SACRIFICING BABIES IN YOUR TEMPLES!”. Needless to say the whole room fell into a stunned silence. When questioned why she thought we sacrificed babies in the temple, she explained that she was Church of God, and her pastor had given a long sermon on the Mormons, and had preached from the pulpit that Mormons sacrifice infants on alters in the temple :eek: We tried to explain to her that her pastor was grievously mistaken, but she’d hear none of it. She was absolutely convinced that her pastor had the facts and continued begging us to stop the practice.

God Bless

Thanks, everyone who responded. I will attempt to teach these young men about our Catholic faith. I realize that they think that they are trying to “save” me. I know it will be difficult because they avoided every question I asked that inquired about “evidence” for their teachings, biblical, archaeological, or otherwise; i.e the gold plates, the ancient people who supposedly settled here before the Native Americans. I’m a very logical person, and I’m sure I’m frustrating for them! LOL Thanks again!

They indeed do have a persecution complex. And they have been persecuted for their beliefs. They are very easily offended. They do not realize that many of them persecute others.

[font=Arial] the ancient people who supposedly settled here before the Native Americans

They believe that American Indians are “degenerate Jews”-- who cannot be “rehabilitated” without believing in their restored gospel-- as written in the BOM. :confused: I refuse to have others tell me who I am, when I know who some of my ancestors were, and they were not Jews. :rolleyes: Jewish by analogy, perhaps, but not Jews by blood. [/font]

The flavor of my Catholicism is somewhat different-- but that is only because of the cultural differences-- and I am proud of them.

I was a Mormon for a few years until I got mixed up in drinking and sex in in the late 70’s, right after high school. I refused to go through thier steps to forgiveness which meant that I would have to do what they asked before I would ever receive forgiveness from Christ. I was excommunicated because there was no love in what they asked, so I refused.

The LDS church does not “hate” the Catholic church. They believe that there are honest “christians” in the Catholic church. But, their Book of Mormon does teach that there is a Great and Abominable church and that this church is the mother of the abominations in religion and in the churches today and that this church apostacised from the true church that Christ came to bring to mankind. This inturn, also lumps all of the churches into the same pile. All churches are wrong except the LDS church because the truth has been ‘restored’ to the truth that was given in the beginning and also from the foundations of the world. This restoration was give to a 15 year old boy named Joseph Smith Jr. in the early 1800’s. He saw in a vision, God the Father and Jesus his son and when he asked them which church he should join, they told him NONE because they were all wrong. So, if you are not apart of the LDS church and fulfill their obligations, which to get to the heaven where God is (one of three heavens by the way, the Celestial (God and Christ are there), the Terestrial (those who didn’t fulfill all their LDS obligations) and the Telestial (those who refused to accept the truth and who chose to stay right where they were in their walk of faith, and also those who knew a little and not the whole truth). Outer darkness is for those who deny the church and the LDS way to heaven which includes being married in an LDS temple for time and all eternity. This by the way is required to return to God. Marriage is Mandatory so this is why they do baptisms for the dead in all of their temples and they also do genealogy work so that any whom they are baptized for might have the opportunity to accept that baptism in the after life and also marriages that are performed for them in the temples for time and all eternity-this they can accept in spirit prison (where all the dead are who do not know the LDS truth) or reject.
Hope this helps. I know that they jump on the chance to show Catholics that there was an Apostasy and that the truth church fell away and had to be restored in these latter days. The Book of Mormon came about because of this restoration and it is a record of scripture that was supposedly written by ancient americans who came to South America about 600 BC. Whew, there is a lot more to them as you might suppose. John Dove:ehh:

When, in actuality, you take a look at where Mormonism originated, and begin wondering if part of it might have been developed from Indian legends specific to the Eastern region of the US and Canada.

I believe that there was pre-Columbian Catholic Christian influence in North America. My readings, and what I have been told, indicate that the voyages of St. Brendan the Navigator, and his sending forth missionaries in North America was one influence, and the other was some emigration from the Norse-Irish settlements on Greenland before 1400. The BOM talks about “round boats like dishes”. Does anyone know what a coracle (a primitive boat still used in Ireland) looks like?

Early Jesuit Catholic missionaries in that area made some serious mistakes in overgeneralizing about Indian spirituality.

Mormonism is not totally a crock.

I was reading messages in the OFF Topic (member’s only) section of the Geocaching.com Forums, and I read one thread, where they were talking about Mormon Missionaries, and thought that I would Quote myself from that thread here:

In my case, I work nites stocking shelves for a large Grocery store, so naturally I have to sleep during the daylight hours. What has freaked me out, is that many times when im asleep or just comming home from somewhere, and the Mormon missionaries would suddenly show up. Also they like to come inside my front porch, and bang the heck out of my wooden door, waking me out of a sound sleep.

I find that they are trying to get me to come back to church. Back in April, I was tending my sisters house that is about 8 miles from me, while she was away, and I would hang out there, but the missionaries somehow kept comming as I would be going back home to get some sleep.

Several years went by ok, but suddenly this year the Mormon missionaries got relentless. I kinda feel like im running from them, to the point of almost having to put up a tent in back of the house with a phone to avoid them. If I did have a small camper in back of my house, at least I could avoid all the solicitors too.
This post has been edited by GOT GPS? on May 15 2005, 09:27 AM

I have been attending a local Parish near my house recently, even though I been a member of the Mormon church since Oct 1971, and I been drawn to the catholic church without the need of any missionaries. One biggie though is my favorite Parish(ST. Agatha is about to be closed).

Congratulations! You have broken free. Why not write the letter
asking for your name to be removed form LDS roles and tell them that you no longer wish to have anyone from LDS come to your home. Sounds as though you are ready to be baptized into the Catholic Church. (If I am reading your post correctly, you are not yet Catholic.)

Welcome home to Rome! :smiley:

susi75,

I have found that the “Beginning Apologetics” series of books (by Father Frank Chacon & Jim Burnham) are handy and a concise way to evangalize to other faiths and defend and explain ours. I have had a little experience with Mormon’s at my doorstep, and have enjoyed being prepared using these guides. More specifically, you would want book 2 and book 2.5 for specifics on Jehovah’s Witnesses and Mormons, and (2.5) for defending the Trinity. Book 1 is a great baseline as well.

Continue to be nice to them and by your witness, show them that you are indeed a Christian. Remember that very few are “converted” on a doorstep, the Holy Spirit does it in God’s own time.

Best of luck and God Bless,

SG257

[quote=Kyenta]On the EWTN show I think “Coming Home” there was a mormon convert to Catholicism. He said that they believe their faith is the real one and are very misinformed.

I wish I could remember his name (Smith?) but he said something important. He said that we should talk to the mormon missionairies when they come round and tell them about the Catholic religion. They will be surprised by our total love for Jesus Christ because they feel WE don’t know the truth. This way they will think and hopefully investigate our beautiful Church.
[/quote]

The show you are looking for is “The Journey Home.” You can download audio versions of past shows in RealAudio format for free (I use “realplayer alternative” [search Google] to play them, BTW, as it’s just a simple player w/o all the bells and wistles of the Realplayer SW). Search EWTN’s audio library for what you want and download it to listen to later.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.