Mormons ?

(The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints )
Are Mormons Christians ?

Here is the short and plain answer, YES. We believe that Christ atoned for the sins of all men and that through him we are saved.

Are we Trinitarians? NO. We believe in three distinct beings. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. "The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as mans: the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. (D&C 130:22)

From a Catholic perspective, No, not really. They do not have a valid baptism.

No, they are not Christians. They believe in Jesus Christ, but their Jesus is not the same Jesus we believe in. They also believe in a completely different God which is why their baptism in not considered valid, and they don’t accept any other denominations baptism as valid.

Deja Vu!

No, their baptism is not Trinitarian. Mormons are not Christians.

Nope. No Christian, Roman Catholic Orthodox or Protestant will say that Mormons are Christians. They are a non Christian cult, complete with their own set of false and unknown doctrines and dogmas that are not supported by scripture or tradition.

That’s ridiculous God the Father does not have a fleshly body.

“God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.” John 4:24
“a spirit has not flesh and bones” (Luke 24:39).

Irenaeus
“Far removed is the Father of all from those things which operate among men, the affections and passions. He is simple, not composed of parts, without structure, altogether like and equal to himself alone. He is all mind, all spirit, all thought, all intelligence, all reason . . . all light, all fountain of every good, and this is the manner in which the religious and the pious are accustomed to speak of God” (Against Heresies 2:13:3 [A.D. 189]).

Also, Mormons are not Christians because their Baptism is not Trinitarian.

So “The Father” is some sort of entity that walks around somewhere in the universe with a “body of flesh and bones?” Huh? Now I REALLY don’t understand Mormons! :confused:

They believe that they are, but unless they’re prepared to renounce their prophet’s assertion of there being multiple deities, along with a whole bunch of other unbiblical stuff, they simply cannot be considered Christians.

From this website, at catholic.com/quickquestions/what-does-the-catholic-church-say-about-the-practices-and-beliefs-of-mormonism

While individual Mormons may be persons of good conscience, Mormonism itself is a belief system that would reduce the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit from being the three Persons of the one, true, and infinite God to being three limited, finite deities among an uncounted multitude of deities, all of whom merely reshaped small parts of a preexisting cosmos.

Mormonism teaches that human beings may, by practicing the tenets of its faith, become gods and goddesses themselves, with their own planets full of people worshiping them.

While the Catholic Church would reject nothing that is true or good in Mormonism or any other world religion, Catholic theology would have to note that there is a tremendous amount in Mormonism that is neither true nor good. Further, because Mormonism presents itself as a form of Christianity yet is incompatible with the historic Christian faith, sound pastoral practice would need to warn the Christian faithful: Mormon theology is blasphemous, polytheistic, and cannot be considered on par with the theology of other Christian groups.

Mormons are absolutely not Christian despite protestations to the contrary. Their beliefs on God the Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit are miles away from Christian beliefs. They use the same words but have an entirely different meaning. Even their recent prophets have been clear that the Mormon understanding of Jesus Christ is very different from Christian beliefs.

When I was Mormon, I incorrectly thought I was Christian, but that was because I didn’t really understand Christianity. Now that I understand Christianity, I can clearly see that Mormonism is not Christian.

Hey, now. Mormon’s are NOT Protestants!:smiley:

Didn’t we just have this conversation a couple of weeks ago? :D:shrug:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=826421&highlight=are+mormons+christian

And two weeks before that, and two weeks before that and two weeks before that…etc.

LOL

Short answer, YES. Despite their understanding of the Trinity, they still believe in the same Jesus Christ, fully God and Man, that died on the cross at Calvary for our sins that we do. They are fully 100% Christian.

Here is a verse from the Book of Mormon that confirms this: (2 Nephi 25:26)

“And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins.”

Here is a link to a thread with 944 responses to this very question: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=826421

The Christ they talk of, rejoice in, preach and prophecy of is not the same.

derengowski.wordpress.com/2012/08/30/debunking-seven-mormon-myths-part-2/

One of their own prophets even stated: “No I don’t. The traditional Christ of whom they speak is not the Christ of whom I speak. For the Christ of whom I speak has been revealed in this the dispensation of the fullness of times.”

Sorry to disagree with you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.