Morning After Pill abortions?

Do morning after pills ever cause abortions?

Do they ever, as in at least more than one, … YES!

Yes, that is one of their intended actions.

That’s what they’re designed to do! :shrug: :frowning:

[quote="Em_in_FL, post:4, topic:198489"]
That's what they're designed to do! :shrug: :(

[/quote]

I thought this certain pill was designed to not cause them. How will it abort a fetus?

Ah yes… most medical websites will use language that suggests the morning after pill is substantially different from the “abortion pill”, and chemically speaking - indeed it is.

The “morning after pill” is an extremely high dose of what’s normally found in regular birth control pills.
However - did you know normal birth control pills can also cause abortions?
They work by not only suppressing ovulation, but also by altering the endometrium of the uterus, therefore making it impossible for an already-fertilized egg (aka, new human being) to attach itself to the uterine wall and then continue to grow throughout pregnancy.
You are aware that sometimes birth control pills fail, right? That’s because the “ovulation suppression” aspect of it does not always work… that’s why the secondary effect of “altering the endometrium” is there in the pill. This doesn’t always work either, but still - the effect is inherent in the pill.
Look it up on ANY birth control pill package insert… you’ll find the it works by “altering the endometrium” written right in their own literature.

Semantics have allowed this to be easily “hidden” from the public eye… don’t be fooled.

HTH!

thepillkills.com/pillkillsbabies.php

Please see this video...

[quote="aball1035, post:1, topic:198489"]
Do morning after pills ever cause abortions?

[/quote]

Yes. And abortion clinics, doctor's offices, clinics, etc. are not required by law to report these abortions. So when you see abortion statistics remember that the number of children murdered by this method are not counted so the real number is much higher. Only surgical abortions are required to be reported - and not all of those are always reported either.

The number of dead children is much higher than is ever reported. IUDs, morning after pill, the standard birth control pill, Norplant - none of those lives are counted.

~Liza

Good point.

A lot of people confuse the morning after pill (aka Morning After Pill (Levonorgestrel) ) with the abortion pill (aka Mifeprex or RU486 ( mifepristone and misoprostol ) )

The morning after pill is actually designed to prevent conception. It can prevent implantation because it is a hormone and can change the lining of the uterus. But the longer you wait to take it, the less effective it will be because it was NOT designed to work this way. In fact, once you start ovulation, the chances of it being effective go down.

Also remember that the medical field does not consider one pregnant until implantion. I don't think they're trying to mislead anyone because it makes sense: you can't be diagnosed as being pregnant until hCG levels rise, which is what gives one a positive pregnancy test, which happens 5-7 days after conception, at the time of implantation.
So of course the manufacturers are going to say that it doesn't cause abortions because one isn't pregnant until implantation occurs.

Regardless, the Catholic Church doesn't allow one to take emergency contraception. Except, that the USCCB allows a woman to take EC in the ER after a rape only and that is under two conditions: 1) She tests negative when given a pregnancy test (which makes sense, because if she's arleady pregnant, it obviously wasn't from a rape than just happened a few hours ago) and 2) she tests negative for a test for ovulation. So she must not be ovulating. And this does not in any way change the rules of contraception that the Church teaches.

I knew the morning after pill did something to the uterus wall. I didn't know the regular Pill did the same thing. I thought it just gave your body hormones so the egg would not be released, i.e. it helps your body save eggs until you are ready (financially and otherwise) to have children.

I don't know how anyone would be able to report an abortion from the morning after pill. Sometimes the sperm does not get to the egg, or the fertilized egg does not attach to the wall so it would not survive anyway. This is why sometimes IVF does not work. (Otherwise, it would be 100% since the eggs are already fertilized before entering the mother's womb.) Should we assume every Pill is an abortion? Or should we make an educated guess based on the girl or woman's age (fertility declines past 35/40) as to whether or not an abortion occurred (i.e. divide the total number of Pills distributed by two and report that as the number of abortions)?

Steph, what is the context in which you're asking? Do you work in women's health? or are perhaps advising someone?

You're right about many fertilized eggs not making it to implantion, over half are like that. But the Catholic Church teaches it's up to God to determine that. We don't know whether or not a fertilized egg was not implanted, there's no way to tell without hCG levels rising, which indicates pregnancy, and contraceptives are forbidden by the Church (except for the exception made by the Catholic Bishops regarding rape and emergency contracpetion). A known abortion is an abortion. You can't count "could have's".

There's no way to determine the number of embryo's prevented from being implanted due to plan B. Not only do we have no way of knowing if fertilization took place, but you can get plan B at the drug store with only an ID and no prescription required for those 17 years old and older, and with a presciption for those under 17, and you can also get them online. They're very much available, and you don't need to go to a clinic or doctor's office to get them. That makes trying to come up with a number more difficult.

The morning after pill does 2 things. One, it prevents an egg from being released. Two, if the egg did already release and fertilitze, it prevents the fertilized egg from being implanted. What the morning after pill is an extreme dose of a regular birth control pill. I think you have up to 72 hrs to take it, not sure. Longer you wait, the less effective it works.

In medical terminology, It's actually not considered an abortion because if the embryo actually implanted, the morning after pill would be ineffective. But in the religious community, the beliefs vary.

Ooops, just read Rence's reply, it was perfectly said.

I agree, its an abortion in the unintended sense, not the intended sense. Remember the Church allows the moral use of the “Pill” for theraputic uses, and chasteness is not required in a marriage under such cases. The MAP is just a differant form of the “Pill”.
Now, the issue is why the MAP was used. More then likely that is a grave act.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.