Mortal and venial sin in scripture?

Any direct mention of mortal and venial sin in Holy Scripture?

[quote="YosefYosep, post:1, topic:324603"]
Any direct mention of mortal and venial sin in Holy Scripture?

[/quote]

I don't think specifically. Matthew 5:22 and 1 John 5:16 come to mind as describing varied severity of sins.

Yes! Very clearly! 1 John 5:16-17

If anyone sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say one is to pray for that. ** All wrongdoing is sin. But there is** sin which is NOT MORTAL

Some translations read sin unto death, but either way, there's clearly being a distinction made between types of sin. Which we would call venial and mortal sin. Sin which leads unto death, and sin that does not.

Thank you! This is really helpful. I was just curious if the distinction between mortal and venial sin was just constructed later on by the Church, but clearly there is some scriptural support for this as well!

1 John 5:16-17

16 If you see any brother or sister commit a sin that does not lead to death, you should pray and God will give them life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that you should pray about that. 17 All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death

1 John 5:16 If any one sees his brother committing what is not a deadly sin, he will ask, and Godi will give him life for those whose sin is not deadly. There is sin which is deadly; I do not say that one is to pray for that. 17All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not deadly. (RSV-2CE)

1 John 5:16 If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. 17 All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal. (RSV-CE)

Peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.